Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 53,929 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I own a home valued around $80k and its currently paid off. Total taxes on this home is $3,800. Insurance is $600.

I am buying a new home for $170K. I just got approved for a interest rate of $3.5 for 15 years. I am putting 20% down to avoid PMI. My monthly payment will be around $1,500/month including taxes and insurance (escrow).

Realistically I can probably get $900/month or $10,800/year for it. Thus, after subtracting the costs...

$10,800 (Rent/Year)
- $3,800 (school and property taxes)
- $600 (Home Insurance)
- $1,620 ($10,800 - $1620 income tax on rent at 15% bracket)/year
--------------------
Total $4,780 ()

Now $4,780 doesn't look too bad right? To see what happens to this number let's one more thing that I almost forgot. The interest rate that I would be paying the bank.

If I were to sale my house and use that $80K towards the purchase of the new house then things don't look as good anymore.

So, If I rent it out I would get $4,780. But i would be paying 3.5% interest on that $80K () which would be something like $2800 interest (0.035 * $80,000 = $2800).

Here is the final number:
$4,780 rent old house
- $2,800 interest on $80,000
---------
$1,980

After a closer look at the actual numbers it looks like I would get $1,980/year or $165/month income.

Keep in mind I have not included Capital Gains yet!

Assuming that I did not miss anything in my calculation, would you recommend renting or selling the house?!! BTW... the price of the houses where I live stayed the same the past 8 years and I don't see that changing.

Last edited by ceci123; 05-13-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 AM

252 posts, read 650,216 times
You left out maintenance costs. New roof every 10 years or so, paint or new siding, etc.

Your income tax calculation is off as well. Taxes would be calculated on your profit after deducting things like property tax, insurance, maintenance, etc. Income taxes are also progressive, so you can't simply multiply your income by 15%. The first $9,075 of your income is taxed at 10% and then anything above that up to $36,900 at 15%, etc. What about state income tax?

I don't have a recommendation one way or the another. Renting out your old house will (probably) bring in a net positive income, but it will also bring the hassles of being a landlord. In your shoes, my decision would be based on whether I liked the idea of being a landlord, more so than any specific calculation of costs.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I would not do it.

Jsmith is right, the tax issue is far FAR more complex than you have stated. You have to deduct allowable depreciation, if you sell at a certain point that can front load back on you. Then there is all the maintenance, upkeep, etc, which can be very significant. So you have to take the rental earnings and save some of it too. It cannot all be applied to your new mortgage. Or you will have no liquid assets available when it comes time to do maintenance or repairs to the building. (Could be roof, furnace, etc, or just repairing, recarpeting, painting, etc. between tennants. Also, you cannot count on never having periods where the building is empty, and thus generating no income while being a tax and utility liability.

One other factor to consider in this equation.

That down payment for PMI is sizeable. $34,000. That is a lot of liquid assets to tie up in your new property. Those assets could be used for other things, or earning interest on their own. So that is a consideration.

Or, if you want to tie them into the equity of the new property, and sell the current one, you could end up with a very small mortgage anyway. Total down would be $114,000 in that instance, leaving you with a principle of just $56,000 on the new house. You would not be paying much in interest, and with the monthyl payment reduction you could go to a 10 year mortgage to reduce your interest costs even further.

My decision would be made here based on the time and hassle of being a landlord, versus the limited income benefit of having one rental property with only one potential income. It is a lot of work, a lot of time, can be a BIG hassle if you have bad tennants, and the fact it comes with some financial risk (which is greater when you only have a 1 unit rental, since being empty is a 100% financial liability).

Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Do you want to be a landlord or have a huge downpayment on the next house? Or, sell and put down a smaller amount and invest the rest?

Figure that one out and you easily get an answer.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:36 AM

22 posts, read 30,777 times
You haven't considered other options - This is speaking as a Property Owner. When Renting a property you have to consider the UTILITIES ie Water if you intend to pay. User Fees, City and County Taxes.Rental Registration Fee and Rental Property Insurance which is more expensive than DWELLER'S insurance. Also consider a surplus for repairs that ALWAYS come up. As someone previous mentioned you have to deal with Maintenance and general property upkeep. I don't care if you have an airtight LEASE, depending on the tenant(s) they might trash your home no matter when it might be located.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,737 times
I've got a few rental properties, you are missing some stuff. Rent if it suits you and you are handy (being your first property) because you probably won't make enough to pay someone every time something goes wrong (and that is often). Whether you have to snake a drain, paint, refinish floors, etc. All those things add up and unless you can do some of it yourself you're probably going to lose money to begin with. The real benefit of ownership happens when the mortgage is paid off (more like a retirement setup or leaving a legacy to your kids). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area