Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,759 times

Advertisements

I live in Buffalo, NY. Ive lived at my current duplex for 6 years. Landlord lives on other side of duplex (side by side duplex). He has insisted for a year that our car is leaking fluids. We had it all checked out and it cost us nearly $1000 with rental car and fixing it. We showed him recepipt. He told us to keep wood under car in driveway in case it dripped. We did so. There is no drip. He keeps threatening us, bc of the car 'leaking" that he is going to evict us. Today he told us to fix our car or we had to be out by end of month. I know that is not legal. But could he evict us for a drip on the driveway he replaced 2 summers ago?

Not only that but were not allowed on grass, he is relaly anal and expect us to even clean w products he wants us to use. We have mold in our bathroom and told us we need to shower and bath our 10 month old w windows open. Were in BUFFALO, winter is 8 months a year, LOL. Can he tell us to do this? WHo can I contact? Im at a loss and IDK what to do anymore. He is constantly threatening eviction in diff situations and i literally can not handle the stress. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Just work on somewhere new to live.. take this stress out of your life. This way you end up in control of when you move not him..

Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 PM

400 posts, read 575,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnr086 View Post
I live in Buffalo, NY. Ive lived at my current duplex for 6 years. Landlord lives on other side of duplex (side by side duplex). He has insisted for a year that our car is leaking fluids. We had it all checked out and it cost us nearly $1000 with rental car and fixing it. We showed him recepipt. He told us to keep wood under car in driveway in case it dripped. We did so. There is no drip. He keeps threatening us, bc of the car 'leaking" that he is going to evict us. Today he told us to fix our car or we had to be out by end of month. I know that is not legal. But could he evict us for a drip on the driveway he replaced 2 summers ago?

Not only that but were not allowed on grass, he is relaly anal and expect us to even clean w products he wants us to use. We have mold in our bathroom and told us we need to shower and bath our 10 month old w windows open. Were in BUFFALO, winter is 8 months a year, LOL. Can he tell us to do this? WHo can I contact? Im at a loss and IDK what to do anymore. He is constantly threatening eviction in diff situations and i literally can not handle the stress. Thanks.
The leaky car thing can turn into an extra expense because it tracks into the house, we have had this happen before. Ruined every carpet in the unit within a month. You can be evicted for it if you have done MAJOR damage to the apartment and he has asked you before to remedy the problem. There is a product that will dissolve the crude and then you shake another product on it to absorb, then sweep away. Take pictures if you seriously have no leaks because he can later try to sue you. No one can kick you out without a warrant signed by a Judge, so his threats are weak if he has done nothing legally.

Landlord is correct to tell you to open a window but do it after bathing and spray the areas you see mold with a bleach and water mixture and wipe down, it will help cut down on mold.

This guy sounds like a nut case, you really should start saving for a deposit and first months rent somewhere else and get ready to give him a 30 day notice. I doubt he will try to evict you because he knows he has no legal grounds to stand on, can't just evict someone for petty things.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I would just plan to leave and find a new place if you are unhappy with the landlord.

I can see his objection to the car leaking. You said you paid to have it fixed, but is it? Are there spots on the driveway? Get a bag of "oil dry" from the auto parts store and throw it down. It will soak up the oil.

With the bathroom I can fully understand his concern. The last thing he is going to want to have to do is gut and remodel the bathroom due to excessive mold growth. Although opening a window will help, maybe you should ask him if he would install a bathroom vent fan.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 AM

223 posts, read 732,446 times
I'm all in for finding another place to live too. Having a nutcase landlord justs isn't worth the stress.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would just plan to leave and find a new place if you are unhappy with the landlord.

I can see his objection to the car leaking. You said you paid to have it fixed, but is it? Are there spots on the driveway? Get a bag of "oil dry" from the auto parts store and throw it down. It will soak up the oil.

With the bathroom I can fully understand his concern. The last thing he is going to want to have to do is gut and remodel the bathroom due to excessive mold growth. Although opening a window will help, maybe you should ask him if he would install a bathroom vent fan.

Just wanted to add he never told us to shower with doors open until 2 weeks ago after we complained of mold. The inspector sd he used wrong kind of paint for bathroom. There are already cracks forming in walls, but either way we have been opening doors and windows. Ill try that oil stuff but even when weve attempted to clean driveway he gets upset, its ridiculous. If we try to remedy the problem, there is an issue. We planted grass seed and once it started to grow (we sectioned off grass w rope) he wanted to mow it, we asked him not to, he did anyways. Last yearwhen he atempts to plant grrass seed he failed miserably. its liek he is mad we're takign care of HIS job.

Either way, we are saving to move right across the street. Its a gorgeous area, lots of kids and we dont want to leave and our neighbors are moving soon and their house is wonderful. For $50 more we get a garage, central air, a deck and porch, and use of the grass! Plus an awesome landlord! And we can plant grass!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,219 times
The laws that apply to "owner-occupied" buildings are not the same that apply to non "owner-occupied" apartments/houses. The landlord in an owner-occupied situation can be more "picky" about who they choose to live there. I assume you are in a month-to-month lease situation? Your solution: find a new place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area