Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM

105 posts, read 166,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
And it is not NYC. Deals and bribes don't work. Find out what the officer was ( City of Lockport, Township, State Polices, etc, ) Around here, it isn't simply a NYC cop dealing withing the environs of the city - more specifically the borough. There are overlaps.
Ticket says State Police. I'm fairly confident it'll get dismissed, especially if I bring my Brooklyn lease and new registration. It has nothing to do with a bribe or a deal. No infraction was actually committed in the first place, and I have supporting evidence of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:19 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,786,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananas87 View Post
Ticket says State Police. I'm fairly confident it'll get dismissed, especially if I bring my Brooklyn lease and new registration. It has nothing to do with a bribe or a deal. No infraction was actually committed in the first place, and I have supporting evidence of that.
The State Police ( or Troopers) can cite you anywhere in the state. https://www.troopers.ny.gov/
Some towns or villages have no police force at all; they just rely on the State Police .
You are not in NYC anymore.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:31 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,043,482 times
Quote:
My license with my current address was issued on July 28th.
The second you changed your address on the driver's license, it became your "primary residence" in the eyes of NY state, regardless of where you spent more time, or if you still had a lease elsewhere. So, according to the law, you had ten days from 7/28 to update your registration.

Interestingly, though, the DMV website states that you can have different addresses for your license and registration. It doesn't elaborate as to when that is possible, but, if you choose to fight this, I would start there.

"Can I have different addresses on my driver license and my vehicle registration?

Yes. The DMV sends documents and important notices to customers by mail. The DMV recommends that you use the same address on all of your applications, documents, and transactions."

Change the address on my license & registrations | New York State DMV

Last edited by spencgr; 08-23-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 AM

Just curious....you either had to go to the DMV or visit the DMV website to change the address on your license. Why wouldn't you have changed the registration address at that time? What would be a reason not to do it at the same time?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just curious....you either had to go to the DMV or visit the DMV website to change the address on your license. Why wouldn't you have changed the registration address at that time? What would be a reason not to do it at the same time?
The car in question had still been located in Brooklyn up until 11 Aug.

Quote:
The second you changed your address on the driver's license, it became your "primary residence" in the eyes of NY state, regardless of where you spent more time, or if you still had a lease elsewhere. So, according to the law, you had ten days from 7/28 to update your registration.

Interestingly, though, the DMV website states that you can have different addresses for your license and registration. It doesn't elaborate as to when that is possible, but, if you choose to fight this, I would start there.

"Can I have different addresses on my driver license and my vehicle registration?

Yes. The DMV sends documents and important notices to customers by mail. The DMV recommends that you use the same address on all of your applications, documents, and transactions."

Change the address on my license & registrations | New York State DMV
It's it's okay with the NY DMV to have two different addresses, and the actual law doesn't state otherwise (it doesn't), then it's pretty hard for someone to argue that there was any wrongdoing.

The DMV probably allows it for people who have multiple residences--especially if a vehicle is usually kept at the residence that is not on your license.

Last edited by Ananas87; 08-23-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The car in question had still been located in Brooklyn up until 11 Aug.
NY has a requirement that they see your car in person when you change the address on the registration?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
NY has a requirement that they see your car in person when you change the address on the registration?
Why would I register the car to an address 400 miles away from where the car is located when the NY DMV clearly allows motorists to have different addresses on their registration and license?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Why would I register the car to an address 400 miles away from where the car is located when the NY DMV clearly allows motorists to have different addresses on their registration and license?
Well that certainly may be true, but it appears you had no idea that was the case until I posted the link yesterday. Doesn't explain, really, why you didn't do both at once. But it doesn't matter, I was just curious.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Well that certainly may be true, but it appears you had no idea that was the case until I posted the link yesterday. Doesn't explain, really, why you didn't do both at once. But it doesn't matter, I was just curious.
Apparently the cop who issued the ticket had no idea that was the case either.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,552,298 times
So how did all of this turn out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area