Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post

Port North did a pretty good job there - he missed Marilla, he missed Alden ( far east of the county and a bit south)- and I disagree with some of what he defined, but its a good job.
Alden - Middle Class
Marilla - Middle Class
Evans - Lower Middle Class to Wealthy (along lake)
Eden - Middle Class
Boston - Middle Class
Colden - Middle class
Wales - Middle class

Didn't include them because they are more exurbs rather than suburbs.

Niagara County
North Tonawanda - Working class to Lower Middle Class
Wheatfield - Middle to Upper Middle Class
Pendelton - Middle to Upper Middle Class
Cambria - Middle class
Lewiston - Middle to Upper Middle Class
Youngstown - Middle to Upper Middle Class
Town of Niagara - Lower Middle Class
Niagara Falls - Lower Class to Working class (Upper Middle Class in Deveaux area)
Lockport Town - Lower Middle Class to Middle Class
Lockport (City) - Working class to lower middle class

Just to define my definitions - Lower Class is the lowest income followed by working class, lower middle class, middle class, upper middle class and finally wealthy.

Last edited by Port North; 08-25-2014 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
City of Buffalo Neighborhoods

North Park - Lower middle to middle class (mainly Italian but some AA, Jewish and Middle Eastern)
Central Park - Upper Middle Class (including many AA Professionals)
Park Meadow - Upper Middle Class to Wealthy (Old Money WASPS)
Parkside - Middle to Upper Middle Class (including many AA Professionals)
Black Rock - Working class (Ethnically diverse, increasing hipster population)
Riverside - Working class (Ethnically Diverse)
Delaware District/Elmwood Village/Allentown - Wide range from lower class to wealthy, skews Upper Middle Class, High Hipster population, high gay population.
West Side - Lower Class to lower Middle Class - Extremely Ethnically diverse, high Hispanic population, high refugee population.
Kensington/Bailey - Working class African American Neighborhood
University Heights - Diverse population, mainly working class, mix of locals and students
Schiller Park - Lower class/Working Class, High AA population
Broadway/Fillmore - Lower Class, very high poverty neighborhood, increasing Arab American population
Hamlin Park - Lower Middle to Middle Class AA neighborhood (Stable for many generations)
Lovejoy - Working class White (one of the few white majority neighborhoods on the East side)
East Side (NOS) - Lower class (pockets of working class to lower middle class on some streets) Majority AA population
Kaisertown - Working class White
First Ward - Working class White (Irish)
The Valley - Lower class/Working class - one of the poorest white majority neighborhoods
Seneca/Babcock - Lower class - The poorest White majority neighborhood
Abbott/ McKinley - Lower Middle class (Irish - American)
Seneca Street - Working class White
South Abbott - Middle Class (Irish-American civil servants)

Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Elma, I grew up there and maybe now it is Upper middle class

Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,169 times
Hi, all—

Thank you for this incisive input on Greater Buffalo's socioeconomic geography ... I make maps of congressional districts, and am looking to draw districts in a fair way, which means I will end up dividing Erie County (it has too many people for just one congressional district).

It seems that one of the districts I draw will include Buffalo and some of its suburbs, while also spilling across county lines to include at least working-class/poor areas in Niagara County such as Niagara Falls, Niagara, and North Tonawanda. However, I am wondering...is the cultural divide in Greater Buffalo moreso between Northtowns and Southtowns, or between inner and outer suburbs, or is there some other dynamic I should consider?

No matter what, one of the Western NY congressional districts will be safe for Democrats and the other safe for Republicans — to make sure that the districts fairly represent people, though, I will appreciate your input — thanks!

Christopher

Old 07-15-2017, 06:17 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziejac View Post
Hi, all—

Thank you for this incisive input on Greater Buffalo's socioeconomic geography ... I make maps of congressional districts, and am looking to draw districts in a fair way, which means I will end up dividing Erie County (it has too many people for just one congressional district).

It seems that one of the districts I draw will include Buffalo and some of its suburbs, while also spilling across county lines to include at least working-class/poor areas in Niagara County such as Niagara Falls, Niagara, and North Tonawanda. However, I am wondering...is the cultural divide in Greater Buffalo moreso between Northtowns and Southtowns, or between inner and outer suburbs, or is there some other dynamic I should consider?

No matter what, one of the Western NY congressional districts will be safe for Democrats and the other safe for Republicans — to make sure that the districts fairly represent people, though, I will appreciate your input — thanks!

Christopher
Main Street in the city is another dynamic seen as a dividing line historically in generalized economic and later racial(and perhaps ethnic) way.

You could also view the Northtowns as being more culturally diverse in comparison, almost following the flow of city residents that left respective areas of the city. Some of this may be due to proximity to area colleges/universities as well.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:51 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziejac View Post
Hi, all—

Christopher
That's a very interesting question and I don't have a clear answer.

This is all my opinion, no scientific measurements just perdonsl observations.

The northtown/southtown divide is clear and real. The eastern suburbs seem to either have their own thing going on or they identify more with either the South towns or northtowns whichever they are more geographically closer to.

My thinking goes as buffalo developed we don't have any western suburbs obviously due to lake Erie and Niagara river. So looking at buffalo in the northwest is tonawanda, the southwest is Hamburg. They are very different. Roughly equidistant on he eastern side of buffalo is West Seneca to the South east and Cheektowaga to the north east and Lancaster in the middle. They are much more similar but West Seneca would be considered more South towns and Cheektowaga more North towns.

The South towns are typically more spread out, less population density, more homogenous, less racially diverse, more conservative or middle of the road politically.

But at the same time I also think the first ring suburbs all around the city do have similarities with each other so that is a bit tricky to realm figure out the best way to break these groups down.

Slightly off topic,
Why gerrymander districts? Why not just make them more competitive and force these loser parties to actually run good candidates that are accountable to the people? Part of the problem now is there are too many career politicians that are inept and useless but unfortunately have no risk to losing their jobs due to poor performance.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

Slightly off topic,
Why gerrymander districts? Why not just make them more competitive and force these loser parties to actually run good candidates that are accountable to the people? Part of the problem now is there are too many career politicians that are inept and useless but unfortunately have no risk to losing their jobs due to poor performance.

I was thinking the very same thing

Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
My wife says Elma is not southtowns more like eastowns. Lol. Whatever

Old 07-15-2017, 03:11 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,883 times
Glad this thread was bumped as we are very seriously considering relocating from LI,NY to Buffalo area next Spring. We have been for a while now been considering Buffalo area. But had ruled it out in favor of other parts of our great country. Now again are back to Buffalo being our choice soon. We do have family that own many rental properties up there. Mostly in West Seneca area. And Buffalo itself. A bunch of those "older" stock homes where they rent the main floors & apts above.

We are targeting the "suburbs" more & looking for "newer" housing stock for ourselves. We obviously will rent for the 1st year at least. Until we get to know area well ourselves. Then of course we will decide if we want to buy or continue renting & leave Buffalo area after only a few years. Our plans are to live there for no more than 5-7 years anyway at MOST. So sometimes buying is not a good idea if you are moving in under 7 years as you have the hassle of selling to move. From what we can see not much profit to be made in Real Estate anyway as property values up there don't rise that much at all. Much easier to pick up & just move when you rent. Learned that lesson enough times in life.

So far we narrowed our choices of places to live as West Seneca (weary as per snowfall since they do say there is more snow in the "Southtowns"),Lancaster, Williamsville as well as maybe Amherst area. No kids so schools don't matter.

Question. For those that KNOW Long Island well. What area would be most comparable to areas like the Merrick,Bellmore,Wantagh area. South of Sunrise Hwy. Hope someone here can help with that. Thanks.

But love this breakdown of the various areas surrounding Buffalo.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:47 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Glad this thread was bumped as we are very seriously considering relocating from LI,NY to Buffalo area next Spring. We have been for a while now been considering Buffalo area. But had ruled it out in favor of other parts of our great country. Now again are back to Buffalo being our choice soon. We do have family that own many rental properties up there. Mostly in West Seneca area. And Buffalo itself. A bunch of those "older" stock homes where they rent the main floors & apts above.

We are targeting the "suburbs" more & looking for "newer" housing stock for ourselves. We obviously will rent for the 1st year at least. Until we get to know area well ourselves. Then of course we will decide if we want to buy or continue renting & leave Buffalo area after only a few years. Our plans are to live there for no more than 5-7 years anyway at MOST. So sometimes buying is not a good idea if you are moving in under 7 years as you have the hassle of selling to move. From what we can see not much profit to be made in Real Estate anyway as property values up there don't rise that much at all. Much easier to pick up & just move when you rent. Learned that lesson enough times in life.

So far we narrowed our choices of places to live as West Seneca (weary as per snowfall since they do say there is more snow in the "Southtowns"),Lancaster, Williamsville as well as maybe Amherst area. No kids so schools don't matter.

Question. For those that KNOW Long Island well. What area would be most comparable to areas like the Merrick,Bellmore,Wantagh area. South of Sunrise Hwy. Hope someone here can help with that. Thanks.

But love this breakdown of the various areas surrounding Buffalo.
Perhaps the Kenmore-Tonawanda area just north of Kenmore Ave(somewhat similar to Merrick Drive with North Buffalo to the south) looks to be similar, but isn't "newer". It may be new enough though. These street views are in the area I'm referring to: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9610...1b1!2i38?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9615...1b1!2i38?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9595...1b1!2i38?hl=en

Hopefully others will chime in.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-15-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area