Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Gas tax is high in New York due to the winter ripping up our roads.

As for government nanny-ism, that is a point of view. Some of it could be excessive, but some of the regulations are smart. I haven't found regulations to ever come to thought around here. The only inconvenience for me personally is the car inspections. However, when I visit people in the south there are some cars on the road that don't look safe.

Another thing for the OP to note is the speed limit. Other than the NYS Thruway (I-90), the cops are very strict about obeying speed limits.
The OP is in TX. The comment on the nanny state here is simply because NY has no regard for individuals' rights. TX respects them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:09 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
The OP is in TX. The comment on the nanny state here is simply because NY has no regard for individuals' rights. TX respects them.
There are many areas where NY laws and interpretations differ from Texas, that may not be obvious if one hasn't lived in both states. In some cases these provide a protection for the lives and quality of life of individuals:

- the state is not attempting to impose its will on women to carry unwanted pregnancies to term (freedom to control your own body) - I am not sure if this matters to you, but Buffalo is also one of the centers of the right-to-life movement, and the state has been doing a reasonably balanced job of protecting the rights of individuals under current laws and does not try to get around existing laws to restrict access
- the state does not support taking another person's life unless they are a direct threat to yours (right of the living individual is greater than protection of property alone) - this is a big difference from the stand-your-ground and Castle laws of Texas, in NY you cannot shoot someone just for trespassing
- the state protects employees from being fired without just cause (freedom of association, individual rights versus "corporate" rights) - NY has unions, and you cannot be fired for joining or forming one - you may be pro or against unions, but that's the way it is here, and collective bargaining does provide employees more access to benefits and protection from unfair treatment by employers than a single individual can attain
- the state does not ignore or reject federal laws created for the health and well being of individuals (clean air and water laws, ACA) - NY actually attempts to follow federal laws, unlike Texas, which are designed to protect individuals lives and quality of life (dirty air, water, access to health care, etc)
- the state supports marriage between consenting adults of any gender - again, if you disagree then you don't have to marry someone of your own gender

Another area where you may find welcome in WNY is the near absence of Homeowners Associations and their fees. Some restrictions that HOAs impose may be covered under area zoning laws, but at least that is covered by regular local taxation (and is deductible unlike HOA fees). If the typical HOA in Houston isn't a "nanny" then I don't know what is.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 PM

When comparing school districts, a fairly good indicator of district performance is almost always the wealth of the community. That said, the poorest performing districts may have some excellent schools if the community includes a diverse range of incomes. Results are less often the result of "better" schools or teachers than the greater emphasis on education of higher-income parents. City Honors School of Buffalo, for instance, regularly is among the top 10 schools in the USA, although the district overall rates fairly low. Private schools, such as Nardin Academy in Buffalo, also rank among the top schools, and includes city and suburban students, and top private schools in Buffalo are more prevalent and priced much lower than the private schools in Houston. There are also a significant number of Charter Schools in Buffalo, which provide additional school choice options besides being limited to only zoned district schools.

One thing that the Buffalo area has, which Houston does not have AT ALL, is real walkable and bikeable neighborhoods. Primary areas include nearby Villages like Williamsville, East Aurora, Kenmore, Orchard Park, etc - along with solid middle and mid-upper City neighborhoods like Elmwood Village, North Buffalo, and parts of South Buffalo. The ability to enjoy communities like these, and have the options of good schools beyond just the district schools, should be considered. If your children are not yet in school, this may be a good time to lease a house or apartment in one of these areas and better explore your housing and school options, while you are also able to better experience and enjoy what a truly walkable neighborhood is like.

(FYI my children attended one of the best "rated" districts in Houston, but I still ended up moving them to private schools by middle school years due to issues with redistricting, overcrowding, and general lack of concern on the part of teachers/administrators for students who were not at top or bottom of the classes. My point is that there is a lot more to ensuring the best education than just the district rating. Both kids went on to bachelors degrees, and one is on her way to a masters now).

Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 PM

417 posts, read 867,425 times
Orchard park is one of the most affluent suburbs of WNY, several NFL Bills players live in some of the best subdivisions there and houses can push upwards of over $1,000,000 in many areas, but id say average is around $250,000. You wont be disappointed.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
There are many areas where NY laws and interpretations differ from Texas, that may not be obvious if one hasn't lived in both states. In some cases these provide a protection for the lives and quality of life of individuals:

- the state is not attempting to impose its will on women to carry unwanted pregnancies to term (freedom to control your own body) - I am not sure if this matters to you, but Buffalo is also one of the centers of the right-to-life movement, and the state has been doing a reasonably balanced job of protecting the rights of individuals under current laws and does not try to get around existing laws to restrict access
- the state does not support taking another person's life unless they are a direct threat to yours (right of the living individual is greater than protection of property alone) - this is a big difference from the stand-your-ground and Castle laws of Texas, in NY you cannot shoot someone just for trespassing
- the state protects employees from being fired without just cause (freedom of association, individual rights versus "corporate" rights) - NY has unions, and you cannot be fired for joining or forming one - you may be pro or against unions, but that's the way it is here, and collective bargaining does provide employees more access to benefits and protection from unfair treatment by employers than a single individual can attain
- the state does not ignore or reject federal laws created for the health and well being of individuals (clean air and water laws, ACA) - NY actually attempts to follow federal laws, unlike Texas, which are designed to protect individuals lives and quality of life (dirty air, water, access to health care, etc)
- the state supports marriage between consenting adults of any gender - again, if you disagree then you don't have to marry someone of your own gender

Another area where you may find welcome in WNY is the near absence of Homeowners Associations and their fees. Some restrictions that HOAs impose may be covered under area zoning laws, but at least that is covered by regular local taxation (and is deductible unlike HOA fees). If the typical HOA in Houston isn't a "nanny" then I don't know what is.

Not my search; its the OP's.

My problems with NY? Cuomo and buddies and too much downstate power. Laws in the middle of the night. Cuomo isn't even getting some Union support because he has stomped on them. I personally beleive in states' rights and we sure do not have them. Too much money to illegals; too many services to them. (I just happen to be here because I was born and raised here and we're too old to move!)

Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Not my search; its the OP's.

My problems with NY? Cuomo and buddies and too much downstate power. Laws in the middle of the night. Cuomo isn't even getting some Union support because he has stomped on them. I personally beleive in states' rights and we sure do not have them. Too much money to illegals; too many services to them. (I just happen to be here because I was born and raised here and we're too old to move!)
I understand your beefs, but it's not as if these are non issues in Texas. Downstate power is, unfortunately, nearly universal in communities in every state outside of the prime city and state capital. There is plenty of complaining about Austin and the governor across the state. At least Cuomo is trying to send an extra billion Buffalo's way this year, and hasn't turned down federal funds. As far as union support, even saying the word union in Texas would lose an election, let alone show any support. States rights? It's the Feds that are accused of taking that away, not the states. As far as "illegals" I would say that they are basically non existent in WNY compared to Texas. I am not sure what "services" the few in WNY receive, but in Texas food banks and emergency rooms overflow, and there are still plenty of unscrupulous slumlords renting places out, along with entire industries supported by the state that continue to hire them. Construction and farming in Texas would shut down today if there were no illegals working, and keeping wages low, in support of Texas' "pro business" policies.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM

31 posts, read 48,423 times
Quote:

RicketSci - Great points. I cant stand the nanny state comparisons. Never living in NY do I feel like I am restrticted from doing anything.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I understand your beefs, but it's not as if these are non issues in Texas. Downstate power is, unfortunately, nearly universal in communities in every state outside of the prime city and state capital. There is plenty of complaining about Austin and the governor across the state. At least Cuomo is trying to send an extra billion Buffalo's way this year, and hasn't turned down federal funds. As far as union support, even saying the word union in Texas would lose an election, let alone show any support. States rights? It's the Feds that are accused of taking that away, not the states. As far as "illegals" I would say that they are basically non existent in WNY compared to Texas. I am not sure what "services" the few in WNY receive, but in Texas food banks and emergency rooms overflow, and there are still plenty of unscrupulous slumlords renting places out, along with entire industries supported by the state that continue to hire them. Construction and farming in Texas would shut down today if there were no illegals working, and keeping wages low, in support of Texas' "pro business" policies.
If you go to NYC or LI, you are swamped with illegal day laborers in parking lots, washing your windshield and demanding - often in Spanish - money.[ My Sister-in-law is 3rd generation here from Cuban/Spain(ish) descent. She won't go where the central Americans are. ]They are as prevalent as Texas -- this end of the state, yes, we get pickers, but they disappear when crops do. I guess cold weather is the impetus to leave. Some work year round farms ( as in dairy). Cuomo amnd company support free college for them. Who loses? Our kids. Not sensible. As to Cuomo's Billion for Buffalo, I wonder what wad of cash hs has that he can give so much to so many areas of the state. I am sure we will not see all of it... because it will still be out of our own tax money. And states' rights? You are less likely to have them abused in TX than in Cuomo's blue nanny state

Sorry, I'm off to primary vote. And NOT for Cuomo; he is too sneaky. I want to see competition. This should show how well he will do in Nov.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
What RocketSci said.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times
Quote:
If you go to NYC or LI, you are swamped with illegal day laborers in parking lots, washing your windshield and demanding - often in Spanish - money.[ My Sister-in-law is 3rd generation here from Cuban/Spain(ish) descent. She won't go where the central Americans are. ]They are as prevalent as Texas -- this end of the state, yes, we get pickers, but they disappear when crops do. I guess cold weather is the impetus to leave. Some work year round farms ( as in dairy). Cuomo amnd company support free college for them. Who loses? Our kids. Not sensible. As to Cuomo's Billion for Buffalo, I wonder what wad of cash hs has that he can give so much to so many areas of the state. I am sure we will not see all of it... because it will still be out of our own tax money. And states' rights? You are less likely to have them abused in TX than in Cuomo's blue nanny state

Sorry, I'm off to primary vote. And NOT for Cuomo; he is too sneaky. I want to see competition. This should show how well he will do in Nov.
I'd hate to turn this into a political thread, but you are in the extreme minority in New York State. New York is overwhelmingly a blue state. Even New York Republicans are further left than the national average. Buffalo's major counties are both blue.

-illegals are nothing in this state compared to the rest of the country

-states' rights is nothing more than a catch phrase for racism. That's all it has ever been. States' rights never enters into the discussion for northern states, because it is not a term we've ever coined. It was specifically used to let the southern states keep their slave-based economy

-union membership is stronger in New York than the national average, which bolsters wages in the state. Ask any New York construction worker which state they'd rather work in (NY or TX). When I did construction I knew a few workers that moved South to get away from unions then promptly returned to New York so they could actually earn a living wage.

-You did not vote in the primary against Cuomo, because you clearly aren't a registered Democrat. Cuomo's election results were pretty telling in the primary, but he is still better than anything the Republicans have to offer. Cuomo is basically a Repub with a D next to his name. In New York, one can't win downstate (most of the state) with an (R) on the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area