Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:09 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,714 times

Advertisements

Usually it takes a year (and an address and things like utilities in your name) to establish residency - Google it! Also, try Craigslist for a roommate, or if you are going to a particular school they can often help you find someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
Does anyone know how easy it is to gain in-state residency? Also, how would I find a roommate? I would rather not live alone due to it being cheaper to have roommate(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
I moved there from Michigan so it was about a 5 hour drive to get home. The roommate thing was also an issue for me. I ended up living alone first (Had a month to month lease) but quickly met many people when school started and moved in with new friends. It was an easy transition when I look back. The first couple months were obviously the hardest, but once I began to meet people I LOVED it there. And yes, people in Buffalo are insane about their sports teams. I went to many many Bills games and had the time of my life at every one. I actually left after graduating to Florida, and now regret it in a sense.

On the roommate thing as weird as it sounds check craigslist. There are MANY listings of college students looking specifically for college students. When you call people, get their name and face book them. This will let you see how they truly are. I did this when moving form Buff to Florida and ended up with the best roommate i have ever had. Just listen to your gut when doing this and you will be fine. The good part is, when ppl are desperate for a roommate they often will not make you sign a lease. So if you move in with some students and its a bust, you can just drop them and move on.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how easy it is to gain in-state residency? Also, how would I find a roommate? I would rather not live alone due to it being cheaper to have roommate(s).
This information should help: Residency, Establishment of for Tuition Purposes

Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM

83 posts, read 81,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

That sounds awfully tough for a 19-20 year old with my parents staying in Iowa...am I wrong?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
That sounds awfully tough for a 19-20 year old with my parents staying in Iowa...am I wrong?
Section III D may be the most important piece of that information for you. So, it may be a matter of making it work, if possible.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM

122 posts, read 188,151 times
Buffalo is a good place for a college student, a lot of things to do and good culture that you won't find in smaller college towns, and priced decent, unlike colleges in big cities.

However, trying to move here without a job, with only a high school diploma, and not knowing anyone else, is a recipe for disaster. I would look for jobs online first. Bank teller comes to mind as the best job for someone in your position. GEICO is always hiring, if you don't mind call center work. However, any job here that doesn't require a college degree, or previous experience, and a pays a not terrible wage ($10 - $15 an hour), typically wont' even consider non-locals.

Otherwise, you're going to end up waiting tables trying to make rent. There are some people that make ok salaries in the service industry, but they work long hours, late nights and there's a lifestyle of drugs and alcohol that wears people down and ages them fast. You're still young, so it might be worth it to try it, but unless you know someone or are a hot chick, getting into a good restaurant is tough.

Minimum wage jobs won't pay the bills, and you'll have to be rooming with someone in a ****ty part of town to be able to survive. Unless you bring a group of friends with you who trust, that's a bad plan.

Not to mention, your plan in general is bad. If you want to live the party lifestyle and figure things out, you're best bet is working in the restaurant industry. At least the hours will work for you. Don't go to college until you've matured a little more and have a specific career goal.

I know very smart people who graduated good schools with good grades in STEM programs, and still struggle to find employment. Not good when you have huge debt loads. Going to Buffalo to "party" while you go to college without any real idea of what you want to major in will ruin your life. Times have changed. You don't have the luxury of finding yourself that previous generations did. Either you work, or you go to school with a very specific objective, and you put in late nights and weekends studying. If you party and miss class because you're too hungover, you're going to end up getting mediocore grades in a useless subject (if you're lucky), and then you have debt the size of a mortgage, no income to pay it off, and poor job prospects.

Last edited by TravelingBluesBrother; 10-27-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
When I was a student in the 1960s, it was ASSUMED you lived with Mom and Dad. It didn't matter where they were. If they take you on their taxes? You are legally theirs. That has not changed

Now, if you serioulsy live here as in : have an apt, have your drivers license here, register to vote and live here all year? You may actually be counted as an instate residency. It won't be until after the full year here. If you come in Jan, you won't be a resident for 12 mos.

I also would find out about Mom and Dad putting you on their taxes as dependent.... and if you ever got married? In the past, the parents and spouse and your income all went toward what family could "contribute" if you were under 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: