Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Williamsville? Great schools, easy access to everything. Taxes are not cheap, but you get what you pay for? If you have questions, send me a direct message, Id be glad to help.

Good Luck
Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 22,363 times
Williamsville is a bit pricey for me and the traffic and fumes is what I'm try to get away from as my child has asthma. I need good quality air and wanted country living but the air is as bad or worse than the city. Thinking of near Lake Erie if I can find a place reasonable that is not zoned agricultural. The wind off the lake seems very clean.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,259,662 times
Town of Elma, has alot less folks and traffic.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 AM

7 posts, read 22,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Town of Elma, has alot less folks and traffic.
Is Elma zoned agricultural? Any dairy farms? I know my real estate agent told me Marilla near Elma had some pretty nasty dairy farms and contaminated wells are an issue. I need city water, no ag district and very clean air. Thanks

Lisa and family.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,117 times
Hi Lisa,
I've been reading some of your post on the 1st page... My husband was raised in Eden N.Y. and their family lives down the road from at least 3 dairy farms... I made my first visit to meet his parents in the month of June during high humidity... My husband and I walked and hiked all over Clarksburg, North Collins, East Eden, Langford, and part of N. Boston... We were there for 3 weeks, and the whole time I was there I didn't smell one dairy farm, the Lord Christ Jesus as my witness.... Although I'm not saying that at times there may be manure odors... The point is, if someone is looking to buy real-estate in a particular area, don't buy it with the thoughts of trying to change the local businesses that have already been there for over 60 years.... Or complain about it after you knew of the conditions before hand and bought a residence in the area anyway...... The previous businesses (Dairy Farms) should have priority over any new residences that choose to buy in the area.... If its not too late; "Thinking of near Lake Erie" my husband said "Angola" may be what your looking for or even the Village of Hamburg (is NOT zoned for Dairy Farms) has nothing but houses and is in the country... That's my take on it anyway... Blessings to you.

Last edited by Robbie10; 02-14-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
you people are idiots.... the "smell: from a dairy does not effect air quality and has nothing to do with airborn illness. as for the wells. if they were contaminted by manure run off the d.e.c would be involved and farms find and also have to pay to fix it. high sulfer content in a well smells just like manure but it has nothing to do with manure itself. if you dont like dairy farms why do you live in a rural area? then ***** about it on the internet.. think about this. how is your milk going to taste and what is it going to cost when they have to import it from china after retards like yourselfs finally push the real hard working americans that get dirty everyday and know how to do more then push a pen out of buisness. with out agriculture people starve. i hope someday you all do put me and my family and friends out of buisness, and i hope you starve when were growing our own food and eating great cuz we have the know how. now to be nice. yes i know cow **** stinks, there have been new laws going into effect the past few years that are really pushing to fix all that. as for the "so called farms" comment, what are you talking about? farms are family owned, just cuz we have alot of cows doesnt mean were a corp. the original question that was posted, i love this area, ill never leave. but if you have a problem with farms then its not the place for you.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 AM

252 posts, read 649,736 times
I am inclined to say that someone should not move to a rural area and then complain about agricultural activities.

With your child's asthma, the two places I would strongly suggest you avoid are the West Side of Buffalo (diesel particulates from idling trucks at the Peace Bridge customs plaza) and the western portion of Tonawanda with the coal power plant and the Tonawanda Coke plant with its high emissions of benzene and other air pollutants.

Maybe some of the villages (East Aurora, for example) would suit you. I think you would be far enough away from direct agricultural smells but the traffic isn't too busy.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 AM

7 posts, read 59,041 times
I am in Hamburg Village & love it. I just posted elsewhere about all the conveniences within walking distance, as well as good schools. (I don't have kids but the schools have good reputations & lots of families with kids live in Hamburg Village.) And yes, take just a short drive & you're in farm country if you want to visit. Every Saturday there is a farmer's market in Hamburg Village as well. Maybe the best of both worlds for you?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:17 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuddyDuddyLady View Post
I am in Hamburg Village & love it. I just posted elsewhere about all the conveniences within walking distance, as well as good schools. (I don't have kids but the schools have good reputations & lots of families with kids live in Hamburg Village.) And yes, take just a short drive & you're in farm country if you want to visit. Every Saturday there is a farmer's market in Hamburg Village as well. Maybe the best of both worlds for you?
Orchard Park - they pay enough in taxes to keep the smells out.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM

280 posts, read 674,700 times
One interesting thing I remember about Eden when a friend lived there years ago was the free natural gas from the shale around there. The gas company had some deals with property owners for mineral rights or something. I don't know how common that was or still is, but it would be great if you could heat your house for free in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area