Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 22,290 times

Advertisements

Greetings. My family is thinking of moving to Eden or maybe North Collins. Wondering what to expect. Pros and Cons.

Somewhat concerned about the odors we smelled out there from the dairy farms. Is it always that bad or just seasonal? How far away do you have to be from them to be safe from the smell? Thank you,

Lisa and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,843,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabuffalo View Post
Greetings. My family is thinking of moving to Eden or maybe North Collins. Wondering what to expect. Pros and Cons.

Somewhat concerned about the odors we smelled out there from the dairy farms. Is it always that bad or just seasonal? How far away do you have to be from them to be safe from the smell? Thank you,

Lisa and family.
where are you coming from? there are rural areas of eden and some really upscale homes there, so it really depends on what area of eden you are moving to. Be a little more specific so we can help you out further

WELCOME!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:25 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,767,250 times
Have friends who live in the village of Eden; it is lovely. Nice old town feel. if you live near a farm you will smell it. Eden is known for its annual corn festival in summer.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 AM

148 posts, read 646,220 times
I live near Eden. The dairy farms are getting pretty big these days and they can really stink. If you have well water, you'll want to get it tested for E Coli and Coliform. Several have become contaminated from the manure run-off.

There are also swarms of illegal farm laborers everywhere. Make sure you don't buy next to a house that has a dozen or more of them living in it. They used to pick crops and go back home but now they stay for good and go on public assistance. The dairy farms employ many of them full time these days. Do your homework or you'll regret it.
Same goes for North Collins.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM

1,051 posts, read 3,355,181 times
Quote:

Lisa and family.
If you're worried about the smells you could always move East of Eden (sorry, couldn't help it). The area is beautiful with easy access to A LOT of interesting places and parks. I think that you'll find the scent seasonal as frozen patties don't pack the same punch as a pie sitting out in the sun. You and your family will love WNY, with all four seasons and an everchanging variety of things to do and see. Good luck... T&C

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Health Issues

Thanks to those who have responded - and about the tip on well water we will keep that in mind while house hunting. The reason I'm asking about this as one of my children has asthma and I need to know if the smells and air quality near these dairy farms will be a problem. Thank you,

Lisa and family

Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 68,401 times
Quote:
Thanks to those who have responded - and about the tip on well water we will keep that in mind while house hunting. The reason I'm asking about this as one of my children has asthma and I need to know if the smells and air quality near these dairy farms will be a problem. Thank you,

Lisa and family
There are several areas of Eden that can be very nasty year round for air quality. The dairy farms are expanding and it's causing lots of conflicts in town. If your child has breathing problems it can and will be an issue if you are anywhere near one of these so-called farms. Manure spreading is another problem that is causing farmer and resident conflicts. It is getting out of hand. The dairy owners pretty much run the town government and do as they please so you won't get any help from them. I can give you a list of problem areas to avoid in Eden. PM me if interested.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM

I finally got the nerve to ask some of the neighbors around Eden about the dairy farms. Nobody had much good to say about them and they confirm it is getting much worse than in years past. The farm called Mamosser seemed to be the target of much scorn and this was the area I was looking into. I could smell the odors from a long distance and was very surprised. Even on Main Street right in town. Thanks for the help but I think we'll have to look elsewhere.

Lisa and family

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM

10 posts, read 68,401 times
Quote:
I finally got the nerve to ask some of the neighbors around Eden about the dairy farms. Nobody had much good to say about them and they confirm it is getting much worse than in years past. The farm called Mamosser seemed to be the target of much scorn and this was the area I was looking into. I could smell the odors from a long distance and was very surprised. Even on Main Street right in town. Thanks for the help but I think we'll have to look elsewhere.

Lisa and family
Yes, that's one of the big problem areas in Eden for air quality. Lots of very expensive houses around there and they are not very happy with the dairy farm. It really is a horrible looking and massive farm is it not?

As far as smelling it on Main street in Eden? I gag all summer long from the dairy odors right in the center of town. Everyone in eden knows who to thank for that. It's not just odors you are breathing in either. It's dried up feces and gases like methane. Pretty nasty stuff and getting worse every year. You did right to look elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 PM

I just thought I'd share my findings about house searching around the town of Eden, NY. It's not a very nice smelling area and seems to be dominated by a handful of dairy farm owners. Very poor air quality and the snow is covered in liquid cow poop right up to the edge of Main St or Route 62 just a few miles down from the Village of Hamburg. I've never seen anything like this and I have no idea how anyone could live with these fumes spread right up to the roads edge. I talked to my real estate lawyer and he said there are lots of problems with the expanding dairy operations out this way. Neighbor and farmer conflicts are getting pretty bad. A neighbor told me a motorcyclist was killed over the summer by an escaped dairy cow right near the area I was looking to buy in. I was pretty overwhelmed by what I saw while looking for a home in southern erie county. Seems pretty polluted! Thanks for all the tips but my child has breathing problems and it looks like the country air is anything but fresh. Any other suggestions for quiet living in an area not too crowded but without all the huge cow farms?

Lisa and family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area