Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 AM

355 posts, read 390,597 times

Advertisements

Wow this went way off topic. What should be realized here is the following. The same people whom like Wny post over the top reasons trying to disprove ones whom dislike Wny. The same can be said about the other side.The fact is only a small amount of resident's post here. One poster stated before most people living here love the winter. From my own experiences I would disagree with the statement. I always heard people saying they dislike the winter, very few rejoicing over winter. I heard many say they love the summertime, low cost of living, family being here since their first breath, non traffic , Wegmans and a safe and excellent place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,212 times
Default Gone!

I plan on it --- 4 more months to go until I have no more harsh Winters, insane New York State taxes, or crumbling infrastructure. Life is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Good for you. If you can't stand cold nor can learn to enjoy snow then you really should move. For me, I couldn't imagine winter without a lot of snow and snowy nights to put on my fireplace and watch a good movie in front of it. That of course doesn't mean I don't enjoy our great summers around here because I really do. But I also very much look forward to that first day as the days get shorter when its cold enough to put on my fireplace for the first time in the season.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Erie County, NY is ranked 1223 out of 3135 US Counties!

Higher unemployment is just one factor (and honey, they don't even look at weather). LOL!

Where I'm moving is #93 out of 3135.

Just saying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...abt=0002&abg=0

Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
/\

Be carefull with lists, your future community may be #93 but three around it are 1000+, 2000+, and 3000+...

Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Be carefull with lists, your future community may be #93 but three around it are 1000+, 2000+, and 3000+...
Or this sub article for some people: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/22...&smid=pl-share

Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Exactly...it's a bit of curve fitting to match an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Higher unemployment is just one factor (and honey, they don't even look at weather). LOL!

Where I'm moving is #93 out of 3135.

Just saying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...abt=0002&abg=0
That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it is according to your source, most of WNY is in the top third of the country. And the county I live in WNY is in the top 16%. And I would say that as a whole, the economy in WNY has already hit rock bottom and is now rebounding. I know both Buffalo and Rochester are both rebounding quite nicely with many resources. Heck, Rochester has 2 of the best colleges in the US, one of the best medical schools in the country and fantastic healthcare. So, I'm not going to split hairs about percentage points, but your own source confirms that WNY is actually a pretty decent place to live

Old 11-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or this sub article for some people: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/22...&smid=pl-share
Yep ckhthankgod...it's not just a simple equation. And using a statistic to do curve fitting in a very pin-point fashion is a bit misleading.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Default Data Is Data!

I'm simply presenting information . . . and for many in WNY I could post a thousand articles and surveys about all its issues and they'd still deny them. The point in my posting was not to say that Buffalo or WNY were "bad" places; I shared because personally I found the data reinforces my argument that the region isn't as amazing as many would assert. I'm also not naive, and I've traveled extensively and lived in various areas, and am really well aware that putting stock in one or two pieces of data never shows the whole picture. WNY is a "decent" place to live, but after 7 years "decent" isn't doing it for me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Exactly...it's a bit of curve fitting to match an argument.

That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it is according to your source, most of WNY is in the top third of the country. And the county I live in WNY is in the top 16%. And I would say that as a whole, the economy in WNY has already hit rock bottom and is now rebounding. I know both Buffalo and Rochester are both rebounding quite nicely with many resources. Heck, Rochester has 2 of the best colleges in the US, one of the best medical schools in the country and fantastic healthcare. So, I'm not going to split hairs about percentage points, but your own source confirms that WNY is actually a pretty decent place to live

Old 11-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I'm simply presenting information . . . and for many in WNY I could post a thousand articles and surveys about all its issues and they'd still deny them. The point in my posting was not to say that Buffalo or WNY were "bad" places; I shared because personally I found the data reinforces my argument that the region isn't as amazing as many would assert. I'm also not naive, and I've traveled extensively and lived in various areas, and am really well aware that putting stock in one or two pieces of data never shows the whole picture. WNY is a "decent" place to live, but after 7 years "decent" isn't doing it for me anymore.
The region isn't as "amazing" as we assert? You post a statistical analysis of a few items that the creator of the study decided were important, and WNY comes out in the top third with some areas in the top 16%, and now that's your "proof" (objective) that WNY isn't "amazing" (subjective)?

First of all, I think anybody living here would agree that the statement "amazing" is a subjective statement. If you don't like snow, you won't find WNY "amazing". I think I and probably every other WNY'er would agree with that. I seriously think you are having trouble differentiating subjective statements from objective analysis. By your own source, it shows that WNY is a good place to live compared to the rest of the US. Notice how they creator has "blue" percentiles that are labelled as "doing better", and notice how WNY falls into that "better" category. And notice how Ontario Country falls into the 2nd best percentile out of the 7 percentiles listed in the study. So like I said, if you are going on strictly subjective analysis, and you don't like snow, WNY won't be "amazing" for you. I completely agree with that if that's the criteria we are using. But for me, I love snow and winter, and I find many other things about WNY as being "amazing". And as for the objective analysis, as I stated, your own study backs WNY as a good place to live.

And for the record, I have too "traveled" and lived in other parts of the country. So if that's the criteria necessary to have an opinion about where you currently live, then I as well satisfy your subjective criteria to allow me to have an opinion of my current home.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I also noticed that the Buffalo metro area lost 0.01% of its population from 2012 to 2013. Should I let that deter me from potentially accepting a job offer and relocating there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area