Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,201,325 times

Advertisements

Best thing I ever did was move to central Texas.

We have four seasons, the trees just all changed colors this week, after a 1 week cold snap.

Yes it was 29 degrees here during the overnights, and 30's in the mornings.

Today it was the warm up, 81 degrees.

I am running a 5k marathon on Thanksgiving in 65 degree weather.

I just wish my family from Buffalo would figure it out, and move down. So many people are stuck in their ways, and patterns of life.

My dad told me that the winters are getting worse and worse on him, he is 62 years old. I am 32 years old, and the winter was killing me so bad.

100 degree heat is nothing, you adapt to it.

When I first moved down here, I stayed with some family who kept the house at 72 degrees in the summer. I was sweating and couldn't believe how hot it was.

Now I heat my house to 74 and cool it to 72, perfectly comfortable.

When it was 100 degrees for 6 weeks in a row, I walked the town lake which is 1.5 miles every day at lunch. Felt totally fine, just wore a brimmed hat to not get burned.

When my wife and I were broke in Buffalo, we kept the heat at 60 degrees and bundled up.

65 degrees was shorts weather, now it is sweater/coat weather.

You adapt to new areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Best thing I ever did was move to central Texas.

We have four seasons, the trees just all changed colors this week, after a 1 week cold snap.

Yes it was 29 degrees here during the overnights, and 30's in the mornings.

Today it was the warm up, 81 degrees.

I am running a 5k marathon on Thanksgiving in 65 degree weather.

I just wish my family from Buffalo would figure it out, and move down. So many people are stuck in their ways, and patterns of life.

My dad told me that the winters are getting worse and worse on him, he is 62 years old. I am 32 years old, and the winter was killing me so bad.

100 degree heat is nothing, you adapt to it.

When I first moved down here, I stayed with some family who kept the house at 72 degrees in the summer. I was sweating and couldn't believe how hot it was.

Now I heat my house to 74 and cool it to 72, perfectly comfortable.

When it was 100 degrees for 6 weeks in a row, I walked the town lake which is 1.5 miles every day at lunch. Felt totally fine, just wore a brimmed hat to not get burned.

When my wife and I were broke in Buffalo, we kept the heat at 60 degrees and bundled up.

65 degrees was shorts weather, now it is sweater/coat weather.

You adapt to new areas.
But why would someone want to move from NY to Texas? Texas is very conservative and southern cultured. There's more to life than climate and weather concerns.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 AM

122 posts, read 186,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But why would someone want to move from NY to Texas? Texas is very conservative and southern cultured. There's more to life than climate and weather concerns.

Having been all over Texas, the major metro areas in Texas are quite diverse, and culturally, have everything you can find in the Northeast. Most of the people I encountered were quite friendly, and there were plenty of liberal-minded folks in downtown areas.

I swear, liberal people in Buffalo are under some delusion that any red state is completely filled with confederate flag-waving gun toting bible-thumping KKK lunatics. They also seem to deny that the same conservative elements exist right in their back yards.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post

Having been all over Texas, the major metro areas in Texas are quite diverse, and culturally, have everything you can find in the Northeast. Most of the people I encountered were quite friendly, and there were plenty of liberal-minded folks in downtown areas.

I swear, liberal people in Buffalo are under some delusion that any red state is completely filled with confederate flag-waving gun toting bible-thumping KKK lunatics. They also seem to deny that the same conservative elements exist right in their back yards.
Yeah but those major Texas metro areas are very congested and populated like crazy. I've been to the major Texas metro areas and thought they were overcongested and lacked natural beauty.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 AM

355 posts, read 388,637 times
Quote:
Some people are unable too function in certain climates. While in the right climate they are living life on a better daily basis. So yes to some weather is very important.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM

660 posts, read 1,000,536 times
Default Different Priorities!

But some people -- like me -- prioritize climate and weather -- especially after living for 20 years in various areas with a climate we disliked!

Quote:

Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Great!

Great! Bravo! Enjoy it!

P.S - I don't believe any strictly subjective analysis of anything is possible. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
The region isn't as "amazing" as we assert? You post a statistical analysis of a few items that the creator of the study decided were important, and WNY comes out in the top third with some areas in the top 16%, and now that's your "proof" (objective) that WNY isn't "amazing" (subjective)?

First of all, I think anybody living here would agree that the statement "amazing" is a subjective statement. If you don't like snow, you won't find WNY "amazing". I think I and probably every other WNY'er would agree with that. I seriously think you are having trouble differentiating subjective statements from objective analysis. By your own source, it shows that WNY is a good place to live compared to the rest of the US. Notice how they creator has "blue" percentiles that are labelled as "doing better", and notice how WNY falls into that "better" category. And notice how Ontario Country falls into the 2nd best percentile out of the 7 percentiles listed in the study. So like I said, if you are going on strictly subjective analysis, and you don't like snow, WNY won't be "amazing" for you. I completely agree with that if that's the criteria we are using. But for me, I love snow and winter, and I find many other things about WNY as being "amazing". And as for the objective analysis, as I stated, your own study backs WNY as a good place to live.

And for the record, I have too "traveled" and lived in other parts of the country. So if that's the criteria necessary to have an opinion about where you currently live, then I as well satisfy your subjective criteria to allow me to have an opinion of my current home.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,201,325 times
Quote:
Austin is not conservative nor is it southern cultured.

Everyone who lives here is from California or New York.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, but it's surrounded by a vast sea of conservatism. Austin also has HORRIBLE traffic problems. I've been there. And the southern accents certainly exist there, too.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Default Head South!

Sure enough - Austin is more liberal than most of New York. It was on my short list when I was looking for warm places to move.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area