Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

We are planning on coming in for the game this weekend. We know about the current snow, the additional snow and the pending rain, I am concerned about the flooding. There are several of us who are flying in on Saturday and staying in downtown Buffalo. I know the area is prone to flooding and can't imagine with the temps in the 50's that it won't be an issue. We obviously will wait til Friday to decide but we would rather eat the cost of the ticket and cancel the hotel and air than get there and get stuck due to flooding.

I know it is early and God forbid the NFL and the owners and NFL Network think about the fans in advance but.....anyone in the area hearing about flooding issues being discussed. We know that you can handle snow but at least from what we are hearing here in De. this is a LOT of snow at once for even you.

Any news greatly appreciated, as I said I know it is early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:48 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
The flooding shouldn't be an issue downtown. The suburbs will be a different story....

Orchard Park will probably be a mess, but it is something you won't have to worry about if you stay downtown.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 PM

5,693 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The flooding shouldn't be an issue downtown. The suburbs will be a different story....

Orchard Park will probably be a mess, but it is something you won't have to worry about if you stay downtown.
I thought the stadium was in Orchard Park?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I thought the stadium was in Orchard Park?
It is that is why I asked. According to CBS news it will be decided by the NFL. I am hearing it may be at an alternate location.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
We get Buffalo news up here and I've been watching much of the coverage. They were reporting that the Bills are looking for "volunteers" to help clear the stadium. It's $10/h + a ticket to the (or a) game. There should be something on the team's website. So it looks like the games a go and they're not anticipating any flooding problems.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:34 PM

That is not exactly what we have heard. They need to get the stadium cleared regardless of weather or not there is a game because between snow melt and rain the facility itself may be subject to damage. They are leaving it up to the NFL to determine the change of venue, if there is to be one.

As usual the fan is the last consideration. While we are flying a distance to get there, there are many locals who are buried right now and the last thing even a local needs is to be in a flooded area. It is dangerous, take it from an emergency worker for Hurricane Sandy, water is a difficult force to deal with and the combination of the 6 feet of snow or more, temps in the 50's on Sunday and rain in a flood prone area, leaves much to chance and not a lot to common sense.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
We get Buffalo news up here and I've been watching much of the coverage. They were reporting that the Bills are looking for "volunteers" to help clear the stadium. It's $10/h + a ticket to the (or a) game. There should be something on the team's website. So it looks like the games a go and they're not anticipating any flooding problems.
$10/hr with all highways around it closed, driving ban in town. So walk to the stadium unpaid on your own time. Then stroke out or have a heart attack and wait an ambulance to somehow make it to you. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Oh the humanity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
$10/hr with all highways around it closed, driving ban in town. So walk to the stadium unpaid on your own time. Then stroke out or have a heart attack and wait an ambulance to somehow make it to you. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Fair enough. I'm just going on what I heard in the news report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That is not exactly what we have heard. They need to get the stadium cleared regardless of weather or not there is a game because between snow melt and rain the facility itself may be subject to damage. They are leaving it up to the NFL to determine the change of venue, if there is to be one.

As usual the fan is the last consideration. While we are flying a distance to get there, there are many locals who are buried right now and the last thing even a local needs is to be in a flooded area. It is dangerous, take it from an emergency worker for Hurricane Sandy, water is a difficult force to deal with and the combination of the 6 feet of snow or more, temps in the 50's on Sunday and rain in a flood prone area, leaves much to chance and not a lot to common sense.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 PM

The latest we have heard here is that the NFL will make the decision and if the game doesn't get relocated to another venue they could have it as late as Tuesday. The earliest is game time of 1 p.m. and the (if they have to move it) three scenarios under consideration as of now are, Sunday night, Monday night or Tuesday night. The precedent for that is the Viking Eagle game 4 years ago was moved til Tuesday due to a blizzard. Needless to say, safety has to be the number one concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area