Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:31 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times

Advertisements

No one else is actually here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:50 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,793 times
I don't live directly in Buffalo but I live in WNY so I consider Buffalo in my backyard. It's been my observation though that the vast majority of the posters who moan and complain the loudest about Buffalo or WNY are the ones that have moved away and for whatever reason just have to constantly post negative things about WNY. Then you'll get the ones who come out of the woodwork right when they are planning on moving. I personally find it bizarre. I've lived in other parts of the country and hated it. But I haven't posted once on those boards making sure they all know how much I hated living there. I guess I just don't need an audience in their backyard to hear me get up on a soap box and tell them all how much I hated living in their city. I would think it would be exhausting to constantly get fired up and go posting on a board about how much you dislike something. Especially if they've moved away from here and hated it so much in their eyes.

Personally I love WNY. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond. And WNY affords big city amenities with the opportunities to either live a simpler life free of the constant headaches of big cities if you want that simple life, but it also gives opportunity to really make a statement in an area if also so choose to do so. And personally, I love snow and winter weather. So that is something I could never live without. And WNY has some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the entire United States. So while I live in Rochester, I consider all of us in WNY very similar.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times
I live just a few mins away on the other side of the Peace Bridge, and consider Buffalo the exciting extension of my small sleepy Canadian town. I also have tenant properties there, so we are in Buffalo at least 3 times a month, often more. I do all my grocery shopping and mall shopping there, and two grandchildren there as well. I love Buffalo very much. Not just the city but the people too.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:03 PM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I don't live directly in Buffalo but I live in WNY so I consider Buffalo in my backyard. It's been my observation though that the vast majority of the posters who moan and complain the loudest about Buffalo or WNY are the ones that have moved away and for whatever reason just have to constantly post negative things about WNY. Then you'll get the ones who come out of the woodwork right when they are planning on moving. I personally find it bizarre. I've lived in other parts of the country and hated it. But I haven't posted once on those boards making sure they all know how much I hated living there. I guess I just don't need an audience in their backyard to hear me get up on a soap box and tell them all how much I hated living in their city. I would think it would be exhausting to constantly get fired up and go posting on a board about how much you dislike something. Especially if they've moved away from here and hated it so much in their eyes.

Personally I love WNY. I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond. And WNY affords big city amenities with the opportunities to either live a simpler life free of the constant headaches of big cities if you want that simple life, but it also gives opportunity to really make a statement in an area if also so choose to do so. And personally, I love snow and winter weather. So that is something I could never live without. And WNY has some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the entire United States. So while I live in Rochester, I consider all of us in WNY very similar.
You can add that some of them never lived in or near WNY as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:51 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,793 times
That is an excellent point too.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 PM

Perhaps it should be fair warning to many looking for info that you really need to find out who lives here for info -- or, like chthankgod, does extensive research. With family in the Northtowns, the eastern burbs and the city, I feel I can post that with common sense.... however, I see many people who do post with info that is 25-30 years old (from when they left).... I sure could not post on my hometown as I have been gone too long.

IMHO: To all who come for info, please find people who actually live here. You will get more solid and rationale info.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Perhaps it should be fair warning to many looking for info that you really need to find out who lives here for info -- or, like chthankgod, does extensive research. With family in the Northtowns, the eastern burbs and the city, I feel I can post that with common sense.... however, I see many people who do post with info that is 25-30 years old (from when they left).... I sure could not post on my hometown as I have been gone too long.

IMHO: To all who come for info, please find people who actually live here. You will get more solid and rationale info.
Basically and you can tell the difference by looking at a poster's style.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 AM

245 posts, read 431,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Would definitely prefer Buffalo to Denver.
Please explain how. I'm honestly curious, as someone who lives in upstate NY and strongly considers moving to Denver/Boulder every 5 minutes, and has vacationed there several times.

As for the original question, I don't live in Buffalo, but my mother's family is from there, so I grew up spending every Christmas/Easter in Buffalo. Haven't been back there in a good decade, though.

I also don't really post in this forum ever...except for right now.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Basically and you can tell the difference by looking at a poster's style.
But people asking for info often appear baffled by sarcastic and silly answers.....OTOH, we are no where as "snarky" as NYC here!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:06 AM

593 posts, read 667,613 times
I spent 1 year in Orchard Park, 2 in Buffalo, and then 1 more in Amherst. Moved away after college due to the very high cost of living, weather, and poor job options. I assumed the grass was extremely greener on the other side but have learned otherwise. I moved to north Florida where the weather is amazing, but quickly learned it takes more than palm trees, beaches, and sunshine to keep you content. Yes I make more money down here, yes i pay substantially less taxes, and yes the weather is a million times better (IMO), however I miss the culture, people, and family in Buffalo every single day. Florida cities are more like a huge suburb of never ending cookie cutter subdivisions and strip-malls which gets old quickly. I live 3 miles from the ocean and when I moved down here I felt like life was complete and was out at the beach and the beach bars multiple times a week. It didn't take long till the excitement wore off, now i go maybe once every week or two.

Would I move back to Buffalo? Absolutely, but the job would have to be financially worth it. I am a young professional now, but when kids and a family come along in the next few years I think I would prefer to raise them up in Buffalo long before in Florida. I think I will likely bum around down here for a few more years b/c contrary to what I have said, life is great down here as well, but I can say with 90% certainty I will be back in Buffalo eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area