Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,195 times

Advertisements

How good is the school?
How safe is the campus?
Is it expensive to live in Buffalo?

Is SUNY-Buffalo a better school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM

112 posts, read 436,934 times
Canisius vs UB for undergrad, I would pick Canisius. I went there for undergrad and UB for grad school. It is much smaller and the opportunities were much more easily found than at such a large state school. If you needed tutoring or help, it was easy to get. Getting to know and talk to your professors was very easy. I never had a class with more than 70 students, and that was only one very specific class required for the major but the teacher still knew everyone by name. Most classes had under 35 students. The college is very regionally known, but very little name recognition once you leave WNY. I don't think UB is much better in that regard either, most people I have met outside of NY are indifferent to UB and have never heard of Canisius (except maybe because of basketball). UB however has a way cheaper tuition with a much more diverse student body. UB does have a lot more departments so if you are looking for a specific major or department like engineering or performing arts, you won't find those at Canisius. Living in Buffalo itself is very cheap compared to other parts of the country and even other parts of NY. Canisius has poured a lot of money buying the surrounding buildings and bettering the area, but I'd still use some common sense when walking around the edges of the campus.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:23 PM

51 posts, read 166,176 times
I went to Canisius for my Masters and loved it! The professors were wonderful- small classes a big plus. The campus is compact , but has everything you need. The school has put a lot of money into their dorms- many new ones and they look great. UB is a great school. but a different experience- much larger- not personal attention.
Canisius does a lot for safety- I had lots of night classes and never felt unsafe. The lighting is great and they also have tunnels underground conntecting some of the buildings.
Buffalo is not expensive if your comparing it it a big city like NY, Boston etc
Good luck to you!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM

36 posts, read 150,379 times
Canisius is absolutely wonderful. I went to Canisius for undergrad and SUNY Buffalo fro grad school (and I am a school counselor with knowledge of a lot of the local colleges) and the Canisius education is second to none. The professors are amazing and the class sizes are small so you get one on one attention. At UB for undergrad a lot of times you are a number due to the sizes of the classes. At Canisius you will never be taught by TA's etc. The professors know your name and you can develop relationships with them. I still keep in contact with some of my old professors and I graduated in 2002. UB I would recommend for grad school. In grad school there are smaller cohorts so you get more attention there as a grad student. Great research opportunities etc. and much cheaper to get your degree. Both are great places. I guess it depends on your ultimate goals. Good luck in your studies!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:22 PM

PS--I have never felt unsafe on the Canisius campus...

Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,663 times
Do you know anything about Niagra University?

Does Canisius give generous amounts of financial aid?

Would it be best to stay in Illinois for college?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Niagara has a good reputation, but I don't know anything about it firsthand other than they have a great theater program. Canisius is very generous in their aid so don't let the high price tag scare you. It is cheap to live in Buffalo compared to most anywhere. I can't answer your Illinois question for you without knowing more. What are you looking to major in? Why are you looking into the Buffalo area?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,663 times
Because it is within 2 hours of Toronto
She wanted to go to a Canadian University, but hubby doesn't want her leaving the country.
I saw that Canisus has a minor in zoo biology where they do take the students to different zoos

Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM

112 posts, read 436,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinna1991 View Post
Because it is within 2 hours of Toronto
She wanted to go to a Canadian University, but hubby doesn't want her leaving the country.
I saw that Canisus has a minor in zoo biology where they do take the students to different zoos
They have seminars and research opportunities available at the Buffalo Zoo, Marineland, and other area conservatories. The zoo biology classes and opportunties were popular when I was a student there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area