Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM

148 posts, read 647,912 times

Advertisements

Kevlar Bullet Resistant Jackets for anyone wanting to go out on the town.

The Buffalo News: Buffalo/Erie County: 4 shot in Pearl Street parking lot as hundreds are leaving nightclubs (broken link)

The volley of gunfire erupted just after 4 a.m. in the heart of the city’s Theater District, near Shea’s Performing Arts Center, while hundreds of patrons were leaving downtown nightclubs.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 PM

40 posts, read 83,309 times
Buffalo needs a safer community. Buffalo is the second most dangerous cities I have ever been.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM

SUNY system seems to be very different from other state university systems. Most state university systems only have one flagship school,like University of Michigan-ann arbor. SUNY has 4 "flagships". UB is the largest one but it is seriously underfunding. The stipend for graduate students at UB is much lower than the national average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post
" Quote: FYI: SUNY Buffalo has not only a Med school, but also Dental, Pharmacy, Architecture, Engineering and other areas... You also might have missed the fact they have a few tech incubators and are moving parts of the Med school down to the medical corridor."

Yes, Buffalo has these departments. But they are not strong. No one has heard of them and students do not come from parts of the country to enroll in them. Centers like Cleveland Medical Clinic, Rush, Mayo Clinic etc etc..are all from small cities..but very accomplished. They have brought the city up by being big successful departments. Doing high quality research and attracting students from all over. I meant Buffalo needs a stronger UB..more investment is required in these departments to increase its ranking and competitiveness. Unfortunately SUNY UB is non-existent compared to other universities even when competing with neighboring states..competing with the rest of the country is out of the question for UB.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Selling buffalo to Canada can also be a good idea.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM

148 posts, read 647,912 times
SUNY Buffalo is gunfire central. All the funding in the world will not make the neighborhood safer. It's a nightmare. Rapes and murders are so common they don't even get much attention in the media. Smash and grab crimes, assaults etc are epidemic. Throwing cash at the problem is WHY we are in this situation. Buffalo is an open sewer.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:21 PM

So...just leave buffalo there, people will move out.
This is alreay a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
SUNY Buffalo is gunfire central. All the funding in the world will not make the neighborhood safer. It's a nightmare. Rapes and murders are so common they don't even get much attention in the media. Smash and grab crimes, assaults etc are epidemic. Throwing cash at the problem is WHY we are in this situation. Buffalo is an open sewer.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcore View Post
Buffalo needs a safer community. Buffalo is the second most dangerous cities I have ever been.
I love Buffalo, but I have to agree. How very sad indeed...

Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 23,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
LOWER TAXES. Make Buffalo a Tax Free Zone and get out of the way as business resources rush to the area. Hey, we can dream can't we?

Thruway Tolls have gone up 10% this year already. Projected to go up another 10% soon. Grand Island Bridge tolls are up 100% in 2 years. This should help bring lots of business into the area! Indeedy Spitzer is a train wreck.
Except anyone in business on GI who doesn't know and take advantage of the unchanged 25c commuter pass rate is too stupid to stay in business for too long surely. And that 9c a round trip really cripples the residents!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,259,662 times
Ever been to East St Louis. Far worse than Buffalo regarding crime.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
More sun? Less snow? Nah..........

I'd say:

1.) A better business climate! A SMARTER business climate.
Ah hell, ANY business will do! But a real business, not a Bass Pro Shop. What good will that do? No one has the cash to buy anything from there anyway! How about putting people to work by having them clean up the city?

2.) Make welfare/workfare harder to receive. Which I believe will be a catalyst for change in the area.

3.) Recruit immigrants to perform cheap labor to clean up the city. Make the jailbirds work for their food like Sheriff Joe does here in Phoenix.

4.) Tear down the unsightly silos. Keep possibly two or three next to each other and make it into a state park. Then tear the rest of them down and build up the area with parks, housing, and resorts.

5.) My biggest issue-- Get rid of the slumlords!!!!!!!!!! I remember hearing years ago that even Comannder TOM had slum properties and was no keeping them up!
If they can't keep the properties they bought in livable condition, then hand the property over to the renters for a buck or two and let them keep it up. Perhaps, it will teach some people how to take care of their neighborhoods.
When you know better, you do better.

6.) Get rid of the "subway" on Main street. I know, it's unrealistic, but Buffalo fell beyond recovery after they tore up Main street. The city tore down buildings that were in perfect condition for parking lots. For example, The Buffalo Turners used to be on High Street. Now it's a parking lot for Buffalo General. It used to house a gym and social club with hundreds of members that brought people downtown all the time.

7.) Clean up the fruit belt and the east side/Shiller Park areas. In order to do this, we need MORE COPS. I'd love to bring in someone like Guiliani to clean up our city.

The heart and soul of Buffalo is still there. I really miss it.
Here's what can be done with silos...The Silos at South End
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area