Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:12 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, you've never heard of or been to Elmwood Village, North Buffalo, Parkside or even Kenmore? I've actually been to those areas. So, don't tell me where I have been, ok?

Now, are you going to address the thread from now on or are you going to hijack threads and harass people, like you always do?
I've been to Elmwood village, Allentown, and whatever areas are along Route 5 going toward Lasalle. That's all I remember.

I didn't tell you where you been, I asked if you lived there. Anyone can visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:20 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I've been to Elmwood village, Allentown, and whatever areas are along Route 5 going toward Lasalle. That's all I remember.

So, what was so hard about saying that? Route 5 is Main Street. Concentrate on the threads from now on. This forum gets along much better when we do that. No need for head slapping emoticons either, nor was the back and forth necessary.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
Please... Add all the property taxes, income taxes, sales tax, heating and electric to an equation in NYS and it's looking like s... What is the going rate for property taxes in western NY? $35.72 per $1,000? Please... There's so much more to this country than Buffalo...
Actually, property taxes in the city of Buffalo are very reasonable, and both National Grid and National Fuel are considerably cheaper than utility companies in the Hudson Valley/NYC metro. Furthermore, you can buy a decent (not huge and not fancy but solid and in a safe neighborhood) house in Buffalo or its suburbs in the $125-150k range, and the taxes will likely be $5k or less.

Furthermore, home owners insurance in WNY tends to be relatively low too because the area is not frequently hit by hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. What Floridians and South Carolinians save in taxes from NY, they frequently shell out for insurance, if not more if they live in flood zones, so it's six of one and half dozen of another.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Actually, property taxes in the city of Buffalo are very reasonable, and both National Grid and National Fuel are considerably cheaper than utility companies in the Hudson Valley/NYC metro. Furthermore, you can buy a decent (not huge and not fancy but solid and in a safe neighborhood) house in Buffalo or its suburbs in the $125-150k range, and the taxes will likely be $5k or less.

Furthermore, home owners insurance in WNY tends to be relatively low too because the area is not frequently hit by hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes. What Floridians and South Carolinians save in taxes from NY, they frequently shell out for insurance, if not more if they live in flood zones, so it's six of one and half dozen of another.
I heard that homeowners insurance went up a lot after the roof collapses last year. Anyone know if that's true?

Floridians pay a lot, but away from the coast in NC and SC, homeowners insurance is lower than NY, actually.

http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-...ners-insurance

Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I heard that homeowners insurance went up a lot after the roof collapses last year. Anyone know if that's true?

Floridians pay a lot, but away from the coast in NC and SC, homeowners insurance is lower than NY, actually.

Average Cost of Homeowners Insurance (2015)
Do you live in the Carolinas? Just curious, because you mention them a lot. Serious, straight forward question(or is this allowed).

Old 06-10-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Do you live in the Carolinas? Just curious, because you mention them a lot. Serious, straight forward question(or is this allowed).
Sure, its allowed. Not yet. Things are in the works. I have the zip codes, apartment complexes, and some of the money saved. I'm working at a company that has offices down there. Gotta move smart. Its a process.

Just to add, all I did was respond to her thread, just as you often do.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Sure, its allowed. Not yet. Things are in the works. I have the zip codes, apartment complexes, and some of the money saved. I'm working at a company that has offices down there. Gotta move smart. Its a process.

Just to add, all I did was respond to her thread, just as you often do.
I know. I was just wondering you were actually down there.

As for Millennials, most are probably renting, especially within the early portion of the 18-34 year range used.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I know. I was just wondering you were actually down there.

As for Millennials, most are probably renting, especially within the early portion of the 18-34 year range used.
I would agree. And as I said before, if you were going to buy, I don't think Buffalo is the worst place. At least its cheap. If you're making $30k, and that's all your career is good for (like a creative career, online blogging or whatever), you can do worse than Buffalo.

If you are making more, perhaps other cities will offer newer housing at a comparable price (taxes included).

Old 06-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Its a fact that life can't get any worse than living in Mississippi? That sounds like an opinion to me.

As to where millenials should look for a house, I would start close to my job and see which homes on Zillow are in my price range. Then, I'd narrow it down to which is in the best neighborhood.
I think that ckhthankgod has family from Mississippi or has lived there or maybe in one of the neighboring states. I think he is much more familiar with the state than you or I.

His opinion is largely supported the numbers as almost all statistical measures of economic and social well being of Mississippi residents puts the state, along with New Mexico, West Virginia, and a couple other really poor states, vying for #50 (or #51 if you include the District of Columbia).

Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Lasalle might be ok. I don't live in Buffalo. Neither do you. Never have. Nor have you. Correct me if I'm wrong. I can only recommend places that I've lived in. I don't Google places and recommend them. That's me. The point of the thread was affordability, which I fully admitted that Buffalo is plenty affordable, as are most Rust Belt cities. Of the places I've seen, Lasalle and whatever the area near University could be good for millenials, I suppose.
^^^
Quote:

Well, I can tell you obviously haven't been to Buffalo.

Fact 1: Neither the Elmwood Village nor Allentown is along Route 5, which is what it is called only outside of the city of Buffalo and east of the town of Clarence. Otherwise, it's called Main Street.
Fact 2: Lasalle is a neighborhood in Niagara Falls. There's a Lasalle Avenue in Buffalo but that's part of University Heights.
Fact 3: Buffalo has more than one institute of higher education, so maybe you should specify which "university" you're talking about. The big one is SUNY Buffalo which has two campuses: the North Campus in Amherst and the South Campus in the northeast corner of Buffalo. Then there's also Buffalo State College which has about 10k students on a large campus on Buffalo's West Side. Or, maybe, since "Route 5" is your apparent point of reference you were awed by Canisius College's campus on Main Street?

My guess is that you rode through the Buffalo area once on the NYS Thruway, and you remember signs for LaSalle Avenue, Route 5, and the state university.

You are so full of cow poop you could fertilize a 100 acre cornfield with your nonsense!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area