Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,594 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pennsylvania, but moved to Buffalo in 2008 to work for S.U.N.Y. -- and while I'll admit that there are many great things about the area (like the architecture and history and parks), I found that many of my students (I was a professor) had to move away after graduation to find "good" jobs (i.e., positions that paid more than $9 an hour and offered career development possibilities). After leaving S.U.N.Y., and as a highly educated person, I also found that Buffalo and WNY offered me, well . . . nothing . . . as far as job prospects. For years a few friends and I, and a few die hard "Buffalo is the next big thing" advocates, got into major arguments about the area's "purported" growing greatness. Admittedly the region is changing, and in many ways for the better. However there can be no real and sustained growth until Buffalo/WNY address the fact that they are still almost entirely supported by Government funding and a low-wage, low-skill service sector; sure there's been job growth, but its mostly been in crappy paying jobs.

Who cares how low the cost of living is -- if the quality of life you can have there stinks because you cannot find decently paying work?

Great article in "The Public" on this very subject: ISSUU - The Public - 7/29/15 by The Public

I moved South in April 2015 along with my partner (who got a great job here in a week; $16 a hour plus full benefits and profit sharing) and besides getting MUCH better weather, the economy here is 1000% healthier.

I just don't understand why some folks can't "get real" about Buffalo and actually work on solving their real issues. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:20 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania, but moved to Buffalo in 2008 to work for S.U.N.Y. -- and while I'll admit that there are many great things about the area (like the architecture and history and parks), I found that many of my students (I was a professor) had to move away after graduation to find "good" jobs (i.e., positions that paid more than $9 an hour and offered career development possibilities). After leaving S.U.N.Y., and as a highly educated person, I also found that Buffalo and WNY offered me, well . . . nothing . . . as far as job prospects. For years a few friends and I, and a few die hard "Buffalo is the next big thing" advocates, got into major arguments about the area's "purported" growing greatness. Admittedly the region is changing, and in many ways for the better. However there can be no real and sustained growth until Buffalo/WNY address the fact that they are still almost entirely supported by Government funding and a low-wage, low-skill service sector; sure there's been job growth, but its mostly been in crappy paying jobs.

Who cares how low the cost of living is -- if the quality of life you can have there stinks because you cannot find decently paying work?

Great article in "The Public" on this very subject: ISSUU - The Public - 7/29/15 by The Public

I moved South in April 2015 along with my partner (who got a great job here in a week; $16 a hour plus full benefits and profit sharing) and besides getting MUCH better weather, the economy here is 1000% healthier.

I just don't understand why some folks can't "get real" about Buffalo and actually work on solving their real issues. Oh well.
It is interesting that the area has more people working since the 1990's.

What I thought was a little misleading is that the writer mentioned is the state median household income, which is a little under $58,000 or about 16th in the country. However, the area COL is lower than the national figure/average. So, given the range in terms of COL within the state, that has to be considered.

Family/household size in relation to pay also needs to be considered.

With that said, the economy does need a boost, considering the other information.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:24 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,292 times
I knew this poster would be back...perpetual whiners all follow pretty much the same pattern and are especially prone to the common city-data disease of inability to have perspective beyond that of your own.

I do agree that quality of life is what matters most and contrary to the op, that's exactly where I see Buffalo excelling.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I knew this poster would be back...perpetual whiners all follow pretty much the same pattern and are especially prone to the common city-data disease of inability to have perspective beyond that of your own.

I do agree that quality of life is what matters most and contrary to the op, that's exactly where I see Buffalo excelling.
I totally agree. The OP should change his screen name to 'ProfessorNegativity' because all he posts is negative stuff about Buffalo, as in this thread from 2014: Getting Ready to Leave Buffalo.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post

You claim you were a "professor" at SUNY, and you claim to be a "highly educated person", and you think a $16-an-hour job is a "great job"? Seriously, $16/hour is all of $33,280 a year. I don't care what they offer in benefits or profit-sharing. It's a "great job" only if you don't have one.

I disbelieve your entire spiel. I worked in academia years ago as a teaching assistant while working on my PhD, and I've been in administration at a SUNY school for 17 years. Faculty don't call themselves "professors" unless they've earned that academic rank, and even when they've earned it, many prefer simpler titles. Most collegiate staff at the faculty/professional level do not talk compensation in terms of a sum per hour but in terms of salaries. I can not imagine any professional working at any SUNY college thinking a full-time position offering a $33k annual salary as a "great job".

My guess is that you're either a) an embittered blue collar worker because a HS grad looking for manufacturing work would, indeed, think $16/hour is "great" or b) a college student, possibly a recent grad, with little experience. You could also just be an unemployed 50-year-old college dropout with a sketchy job history who has never moved out of Mom's house and who has created a much more "interesting" alter ego on the Internet. You might actually live in Buffalo or somewhere in WNY ... or you might live in Timbuktu because even when you purported to live in Buffalo, your posts always referenced information available on the Internet or stereotypes and never had any personal or local info that people would get from living in/around the city/area.

As for the Fisher article, what he's talking about is a national problem, not just a Buffalo or WNY problem, and nothing demonstrates that more than you, a supposed "highly educated person" calling a $16/hour job "great".

Last edited by Linda_d; 07-31-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
There is some sectors which are seeing job growth in well paying fields in Buffalo these days. Continued growth around the medical campus is generating more jobs for skilled workers. The Solar City project, although a startup fed with public money, also is going to initially generate a lot of well paying positions.

They are beginning steps, and whether it all sustains or not is yet to be seen, but it is definitely more progress in the labor market around here than has happened in my lifetime.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:43 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You claim you were a "professor" at SUNY, and you claim to be a "highly educated person", and you think a $16-an-hour job is a "great job"? Seriously, $16/hour is all of $33,280 a year. I don't care what they offer in benefits or profit-sharing. It's a "great job" only if you don't have one.

I disbelieve your entire spiel. I worked in academia years ago as a teaching assistant while working on my PhD, and I've been in administration at a SUNY school for 17 years. Faculty don't call themselves "professors" unless they've earned that academic rank, and even when they've earned it, many prefer simpler titles. Most collegiate staff at the faculty/professional level do not talk compensation in terms of a sum per hour but in terms of salaries. I can not imagine any professional working at any SUNY college thinking a full-time position offering a $33k annual salary as a "great job".

My guess is that you're either a) an embittered blue collar worker because a HS grad looking for manufacturing work would, indeed, think $16/hour is "great" or b) a college student, possibly a recent grad, with little experience. You could also just be an unemployed 50-year-old college dropout with a sketchy job history who has never moved out of Mom's house and who has created a much more "interesting" alter ego on the Internet. You might actually live in Buffalo or somewhere in WNY ... or you might live in Timbuktu because even when you purported to live in Buffalo, your posts always referenced information available on the Internet or stereotypes and never had any personal or local info that people would get from living in/around the city/area.

As for the Fisher article, what he's talking about is a national problem, not just a Buffalo or WNY problem, and nothing demonstrates that more than you, a supposed "highly educated person" calling a $16/hour job "great".
I call BS on the OP's statement as well. There isn't a professor in all of SUNY making under $35k/yr. I would guess even part time they'd be over that.

But it sure is fun to role-play on the internet...

Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,292 times
In defense of the op, the post indicates that the $16/hr is in ref to his/her partner. I agree though, it's certainly not something to brag about and I also find the "professor" naming funny, seems a desperate means to gain respect.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:41 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'm glad others are seeing the BS. Sometimes, said posters make statements that totally contradict what they have been saying or doing previously. So, they end up "playing themselves", as the kids say.

I also, for some reason, wouldn't be surprised if some of these posters are students or even international students/residents.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 PM

605 posts, read 491,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I call BS on the OP's statement as well. There isn't a professor in all of SUNY making under $35k/yr. I would guess even part time they'd be over that.

But it sure is fun to role-play on the internet...
Adjuncts make nothing. Look it up. Not that that was even his claim. I guess you're still recovering from your winter off the grid in Franklinville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area