Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,930 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who lives in Buffalo (formerly Pittsburgh) and she seems to love living there. Doubt I ever could due to the snow, but I was wondering what other cities around the US are similar?

On the same tier so to speak and/or offer a similar vibe.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 AM

82 posts, read 142,996 times
Every city is unique of course but as far as similar to Buffalo I would say Cleveland, Milwaukee, and to a lesser extent Detroit and Pittsburgh.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I have a friend who lives in Buffalo (formerly Pittsburgh) and she seems to love living there. Doubt I ever could due to the snow, but I was wondering what other cities around the US are similar?

On the same tier so to speak and/or offer a similar vibe.

Thanks.
Just curious, but what about the snow makes you think that you couldn't live in the area?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but what about the snow makes you think that you couldn't live in the area?
You mean other than I dislike it? Probably that I've lived in the south long enough now that I always ask myself if I really want to move back to someplace that gets snow.

Just though Buffalo seemed like an underrated city that you don't hear much about these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnno View Post
Every city is unique of course but as far as similar to Buffalo I would say Cleveland, Milwaukee, and to a lesser extent Detroit and Pittsburgh.
I'm assuming those are mainly by similar feel. What would be the city or cities on the same tier?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 AM

82 posts, read 142,996 times
As far as population wise (metro population) Buffalo is in the same tier as Hartford, Louisville, Memphis, Salt Lake City, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and Rochester (N.Y.) but other than Rochester and to some extent Hartford, Buffalo is different than the other cities mentioned.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnno View Post
As far as population wise (metro population) Buffalo is in the same tier as Hartford, Louisville, Memphis, Salt Lake City, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and Rochester (N.Y.) but other than Rochester and to some extent Hartford, Buffalo is different than the other cities mentioned.
Would Grand Rapids be a good comparison?

Also do you know if it's popular for people in Buffalo to hang out in Niagara Falls, ON?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 PM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
I have lived in Buffalo for 62 years (groan). Since it has a waterfront and 2 major sports teams (Bills and Sabers) it is different in that way from the cities mentioned. It also has a waterfront, which has seen some resurgence, but is still cut off from the city by highways (very poor planning). The snow in Buffalo can be awful depending on how much of the lake is frozen when a Canadian Clipper brings arctic air and lots of snow. After all these years I am tied of it. Rochester can get snow too but Buffalo is the king of snowfall. The city of Buffalo, although somewhat better, is still unsafe in a lot of areas. The local government is not very effective and most all of the progress has been driven by our Governors Billions for Buffalo plan. The city is moving ahead in spite of itself. The new hotel and center for Hockey Excellence on the waterfront was financed by Terry Pegula who owns both sports teams and has been our savior. The city does very little and a visionary outlook is lacking. There was supposed to be a new bridge to replace the antiquated Peace Bridge, the funds were allocated and then politics got in the way and nothing was done and the money went elsewhere. Buffalo is getting better slowly but considering what it used to be like, its a dim shadow of its former self. The property taxes are approximately 3 -3.5% which is some of the highest in the nation. Buffalo is also the 3rd poorest city behind Detroit and Cleveland.

Buffalo people do NOT hang out in in Niagara Falls ON for the following reasons :

1. You need a passport to cross into Canada and return to the USA. You can get a NEXUS pass or an enhanced NY State Drivers license but its a process and expense.
2. The delays crossing the border are maddening and can range from minutes to hours.
3. After you have seen the Falls a few times there is not much to do there except look at the Falls.
4. The bars close earlier there but the drinking age there is 19 vs 21 in Buffalo.
5. The gentlemens' clubs aka strip joints used to be popular are much less so now because of the border hassles and Passport issues.

The only time I go over is when we have company and have to show them around.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I have lived in Buffalo for 62 years (groan). Since it has a waterfront and 2 major sports teams (Bills and Sabers) it is different in that way from the cities mentioned. It also has a waterfront, which has seen some resurgence, but is still cut off from the city by highways (very poor planning). The snow in Buffalo can be awful depending on how much of the lake is frozen when a Canadian Clipper brings arctic air and lots of snow. After all these years I am tied of it. Rochester can get snow too but Buffalo is the king of snowfall. The city of Buffalo, although somewhat better, is still unsafe in a lot of areas. The local government is not very effective and most all of the progress has been driven by our Governors Billions for Buffalo plan. The city is moving ahead in spite of itself. The new hotel and center for Hockey Excellence on the waterfront was financed by Terry Pegula who owns both sports teams and has been our savior. The city does very little and a visionary outlook is lacking. There was supposed to be a new bridge to replace the antiquated Peace Bridge, the funds were allocated and then politics got in the way and nothing was done and the money went elsewhere. Buffalo is getting better slowly but considering what it used to be like, its a dim shadow of its former self. The property taxes are approximately 3 -3.5% which is some of the highest in the nation. Buffalo is also the 3rd poorest city behind Detroit and Cleveland.

Buffalo people do NOT hang out in in Niagara Falls ON for the following reasons :

1. You need a passport to cross into Canada and return to the USA. You can get a NEXUS pass or an enhanced NY State Drivers license but its a process and expense.
2. The delays crossing the border are maddening and can range from minutes to hours.
3. After you have seen the Falls a few times there is not much to do there except look at the Falls.
4. The bars close earlier there but the drinking age there is 19 vs 21 in Buffalo.
5. The gentlemens' clubs aka strip joints used to be popular are much less so now because of the border hassles and Passport issues.

The only time I go over is when we have company and have to show them around.
Interesting to listen to your perspective in crossing the border. Here in Detroit, border crossing into Windsor seems to be relaxing a bit. Also, I think New Yorkers are given enhanced drivers' licenses like Michiganders. That hasn't helped?

Old 08-28-2015, 05:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Interesting to listen to your perspective in crossing the border. Here in Detroit, border crossing into Windsor seems to be relaxing a bit. Also, I think New Yorkers are given enhanced drivers' licenses like Michiganders. That hasn't helped?
Well, back in the "good old days", Buffalonians were used to crossing the international border on a whim, so the "new" strictures and the traffic crossing the bridges really aggravates people. Lots of people had cottages on the Ontario side. When I lived in Buffalo thirty years ago, going to Ft Erie for Chinese food was a common practice. Kids from Black Rock and the West Side neighborhoods would ride their bikes over the Peace Bridge to fish on the Canadian side.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:45 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
OP, snow is infinitely preferable to ice, even when it's measured in feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area