Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:46 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this isn't posted elsewhere in this forum, but for some reason, I can get to city-data at work, but the search function is blocked.

My wife was contacted about a very good job in Tonawanda, NY. How are the public schools in the area? Going from what I see in wikipedia (not always a reliable source), the schools in Tonawanda are rated #70 and #74 out of 135 in western NY, so not all that impressive. East Amherst seems good? Any other suggestions?

We'd have a child entering high school in the Fall of 2016, so the timing of the move would be difficult for her. We've moved a few times over the years and she tends to do better when surrounded by other good students, so we'd want a school where a large majority of the kids will be college-oriented. Private schools would be an option as well.

We'd be moving from the Hartford area in CT. so I don't think budget would be an issue once we sell our home in CT. We'd prefer a newer home, if possible.

I would assume that with the amount of snow the Buffalo area gets, a long commute is probably not feasible for 4-5 months out of the year, so this would hopefully be within 30 minutes or less.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:33 AM

280 posts, read 675,012 times
Williamsville is a, if not the, top school district in the area, and is one town over. Commute should be 20-30 minutes max.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:53 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
Williamsville is a, if not the, top school district in the area, and is one town over. Commute should be 20-30 minutes max.
Amherst Central is another district you could look into as well. Grand Island and Niagara-Wheatfield may be other possibilities nearby as well.

Also, did you look into North Tonawanda, Tonawanda City and Kenmore-Tonawanda school districts?

Old 11-12-2015, 05:15 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
thanks for the information.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
You know what the top five districts are (it sounds like if it's out of 135 you've used Business First). Anything lower than the top five and you are probably in questionable territory. Certainly 70 out of 135 would be unacceptable. Of course, you could live cheaply and buy an inexpensive house and consider private as an alternative. All depends on what you want. Of course, consider, total taxes / cost of ownership, mortgage interest, etc.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:48 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Just in case you didn't know , if you look up tonawanda schools that's the city of tonawanda and Ken-Ton schools is Town of tonawanda and village of kenmore

Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Also depending on where the job is in Tonawnada , a home in the Williamsville school district can be a very short drive away

Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
You know what the top five districts are (it sounds like if it's out of 135 you've used Business First). Anything lower than the top five and you are probably in questionable territory. Certainly 70 out of 135 would be unacceptable. Of course, you could live cheaply and buy an inexpensive house and consider private as an alternative. All depends on what you want. Of course, consider, total taxes / cost of ownership, mortgage interest, etc.
Why don't you tell us where the Buffalo Public Schools other than City Honors rank on that list, and why don't you explain how much "cheaper" it will be to buy in the city and send his daughter to a pricey private school? What's "unacceptable" is a school district with 5 schools in state receivership and legislators tossing around the idea of putting the schools under mayoral control because the Board of Ed spends its time undermining the superintendent.

OP, ignore our resident schools troll, genoobie. Amherst and Williamsville are both excellent school districts. Ken-Ton is a decent district. It has lots of smaller, older homes that are basically "starter homes", so its socioeconomic demographic isn't as high as Amherst or Williamsville, and demographics are strongly correlated with school ratings. The village of Kenmore and much of the KenTon district have decent urban amenities like sidewalks, street lighting, walkable neighborhoods, bus service into the City of Buffalo, etc. It also seems to be a school district where people buy and stay and where people want to live, so despite being a first ring suburb, home prices continue to appreciate.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
Well Amherst is certainly not in the top five so I wouldn't even consider it. Use the Business First rankings and only pick those in the top five, anything else would be a second guess. Amherst borders on Buffalo so I wouldn't risk it. There are increasing numbers of city residents moving into Amherst and so the socioeconomics are a bit on the decline in parts of Amherst (and thus the rankings of the schools). Amherst used to be in the top five it's now 13th I think as of last ranking and declining.

I don't know how under any circumstance someone would consider a district ranked in the 50's out of 135 as "decent".

Old 11-16-2015, 07:32 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here is some information on the school ranking method: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...oolmethod.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area