Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,143,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
I don't think OP was trolling, I and several clients, friends have been though the same thing when trying to find higher end houses. They are big, boring or ugly inside. It's easy to say update it but why pay full market price for a home you have to update? I have rarely come across a house over 300k that was updated. And when I do, it's not selling because they had it updated beyond the point they could recoup the money.
I didn't accuse the OP of trolling until I happened to find her posts on the Memphis, TN forums just a few days later claiming how her family was moving there because her husband has a job offer there or has actually accepted a job there. She was investigating neighborhoods and schools where she could get support for a non-profit she runs, and she also mentioned something about fostering lots of dogs, but no mention of her ailing parents in the Buffalo area.

So, who goes from living in one part of the country to possibly moving a thousand miles away just to assist ailing parents to definitely moving a thousand miles away in the opposite direction for a new job all in less than a week or 10 days? It just struck me as false, particularly since the OP doesn't seem to have been back to this thread or the NY forums since she posted that one day.

PS: After writing to this post, I looked up the OP's posts and found that a few days before she posted about Memphis, she was checking out neighborhoods in and around Katy, TX because her husband had supposedly gotten a job offer in Katy, TX.

Last edited by Linda_d; 04-19-2016 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: Added more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 AM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I didn't accuse the OP of trolling until I happened to find her posts on the Memphis, TN forums just a few days later claiming how her family was moving there because her husband has a job offer there or has actually accepted a job there. She was investigating neighborhoods and schools where she could get support for a non-profit she runs, and she also mentioned something about fostering lots of dogs, but no mention of her ailing parents in the Buffalo area.

So, who goes from living in one part of the country to possibly moving a thousand miles away just to assist ailing parents to definitely moving a thousand miles away in the opposite direction for a new job all in less than a week or 10 days? It just struck me as false, particularly since the OP doesn't seem to have been back to this thread or the NY forums since she posted that one day.

PS: After writing to this post, I looked up the OP's posts and found that a few days before she posted about Memphis, she was checking out neighborhoods in and around Katy, TX because her husband had supposedly gotten a job offer in Katy, TX.
Sadly, this is more common on the C-D forums than people realize and you can tell when someone is doing this right away, for the most part, anyway.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,564,498 times
Quote:

Further research into the posts yields this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona2016 View Post
Well, for one thing, before you get on my case about my non-profit, you have NO idea - NONE.

Second, I grew up dirt poor - no food, no parents, no home. Don't tell me about me about being poor. I've been on my own since I was 13. I think I know more about 'issues' than you do.
Once someone starts fibbing, they should keep track of what they've written. So which is it? Does the OP have ailing parents or no parents?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:19 AM

832 posts, read 1,411,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Once someone starts fibbing, they should keep track of what they've written. So which is it? Does the OP have ailing parents or no parents?
On top of running a FT non-prof in honor of a dead child, running a FT doggy rescue service and being a realtor. It also struck me that for being a realtor, the OP seems to have a ton of questions for random internet folks about purchasing homes.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:42 AM

832 posts, read 1,411,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
It's not really Buffalo bashing, it's just our local developers and builders have been so used to building and selling to people based on location and size, putting little to no effort into making houses into a real luxury home. They have been putting the most basic and cheapest material into buildings and people want better now. The local homes in the luxury catagory look like enlarged basic starter homes. True luxury homes are designed with high end materials, unique features and they have character. People locally will pay 350k for a house in Orchard Park or Clarence because of the location, ignoring the fact it has the same kitchen cabinets, laminate countertops and MDF molding they had in their 150k home.
I hate to admit it, but I agree with many of your posts re: Buffalo/WNY.

I myself have seriously considered returning to the area because I love it in a way that only locals can understand. But each time I do, I find reasons not to. Just browsing realtor.com and craigslist rentals gives me nausea for many reasons you've stated. I feel like reporting the posts on Craigslist which claim "luxury" and "recently remodeled".

I look at the photos and it's:

* Off-white cabinets with faux oak trim overlaid on particle board.
* 5 layers of white paint covering gaudy green/pink/blue paint.
* Commercial carpet that's 10mm thick with or without padding.
* Windows with rotten trim and sashes.
* Unfinished basements.
* Laminate bathroom/kitchen flooring with patterns in bad shades of beige.
* Kitchens/baths with poorly or half-done tile, missing grout, uneven trims, 1X1 do-it-yourself-but not-meant-to-be-trim trim, seashell shaped sinks, tiles with flowers...

It's very depressing at times for me to consider. The taxes are sky high, it's cold, everyone in local government seems corrupt, the job market and wages are abysmal. Nothing ever seems to change even when it actually changes and yet...

I love the people, the spirit, the sense of community, the love for the city, the housing (although neglected and outdated) is beautiful, the food, the way they truly enjoy summer, the small but stout festivals and celebrations of Buffalo (Allentown, Taste of Buffalo, Garden Walks), and how nothing seems to change even when it changes because I don't really want it to change. I love the Redhots that aren't really red hot, Andersons flavored custard that's really just bagged soft serve with syrup mixed in, the fight over the wings, the pain of the Bills, the potholes that they really do try to fix, their snow removal skills are mind boggling, the snow mobiles in everyone's back yard, the rust holes in cars that each have two sets of tires, the puffy jackets and ear muffs that people mocked before they lived there and vowed never to wear, the mud rooms and basements filled with spare clothing and equipment for when "family comes" and the terrible local bands (and cover bands) that everyone loves because they know someone in the band even though they get angry when forced to face the fact that the bands are terrible and would never openly admit how bad they are.

It's all just... Buffalo.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM

74 posts, read 150,152 times
Quote:
You noticed? In the Buffalo area, most homes even in really desirable suburban areas, are in the $150-$300k range. Above $300k, you're looking at really big or lake/river front or custom built high end, not a 1500 square foot fixer upper in a first ring suburb on a 60 x 120 foot lot. That's why I think the OP was trolling.
I wasn't trolling. Gees. We decided to bring the parents with us. To another place for the time being. I'm sorry if I offended you about the older stock of housing. *sorry* It's rather silly that you are 'mad' at me because I didn't like the housing in Buffalo...

Last edited by londonbarcelona2016; 04-25-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Further research into the posts yields this:

LOL. Stalker. =) Of COURSE we were looking all over the united states for a prime location. That's what one does when looking to move and to FIND ANOTHER JOB in another area. I'd be a fool to not research and ask questions of ANY POTENTIAL area. And if you have ever looked to move, or had a job offer in another state, then you would know that the more you know, the better decisions you can make.

MY parents are dead, my husband's are alive and well. But it was sincerely kind of you to follow me around all over city-data. I was told that some regulars tend to do that. Well, go ahead and have at it. I'm ALL OVER this site! =) I just don't really care that you are spending time reading all about my so-called life. I actually FEEL famous, gosh, thank you!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,143,242 times
Quote:
LOL. Stalker. =) Of COURSE we were looking all over the united states for a prime location. That's what one does when looking to move and to FIND ANOTHER JOB in another area. I'd be a fool to not research and ask questions of ANY POTENTIAL area. And if you have ever looked to move, or had a job offer in another state, then you would know that the more you know, the better decisions you can make.

MY parents are dead, my husband's are alive and well. But it was sincerely kind of you to follow me around all over city-data. I was told that some regulars tend to do that. Well, go ahead and have at it. I'm ALL OVER this site! =) I just don't really care that you are spending time reading all about my so-called life. I actually FEEL famous, gosh, thank you!
All you have to do to find all of any poster's posts is to click on the username.

The trouble with your 'splaining is that the time-line doesn't work. You claimed that your husband had been offered a job in Katy, TX ... then within a week you start this thread that you might be moving back to Buffalo to care for parents ... then within a few days you're hunting for housing around Memphis as hubby has job there ... and now you're back here, in just a month, 'splaining that it's your husbands parents, who are alive and well (your words), and that you decided to move them elsewhere temporarily.

That's a lot of stuff crammed into all of about a month, especially going from your husband's parents being so rooted in Buffalo that you were considering moving north to care for them to you being able to convince them to move somewhere else temporarily to accommodate you. If they're "alive and well" as you imply, then why do they have to move at all?

Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
All you have to do to find all of any poster's posts is to click on the username.

The trouble with your 'splaining is that the time-line doesn't work. You claimed that your husband had been offered a job in Katy, TX ... then within a week you start this thread that you might be moving back to Buffalo to care for parents ... then within a few days you're hunting for housing around Memphis as hubby has job there ... and now you're back here, in just a month, 'splaining that it's your husbands parents, who are alive and well (your words), and that you decided to move them elsewhere temporarily.

That's a lot of stuff crammed into all of about a month, especially going from your husband's parents being so rooted in Buffalo that you were considering moving north to care for them to you being able to convince them to move somewhere else temporarily to accommodate you. If they're "alive and well" as you imply, then why do they have to move at all?
No **** sherlock. What are you 80 years old? This is reality now. If you have an executive level job, you have recruiters calling you all the time in states all over the place. Even countries for god's sake! And if you have ever looked for a job, you would know that you have to submit more than one resume' at a time!

So instead of getting mad at me because I am one of the millions who have moved away from Buffalo and thought, "Gee, maybe moving back to Buffalo after living away for 25 years might be fun." And then realized it wouldn't be. We are looking into other places as well (although I'm pretty sure we have decided on a location) and when we have found the most viable solution for OUR family (not you or yours) we will make the move when the time is right.

If following me around and dissecting my posts is enjoyable for you. By all means have at it. I find it rather interesting that you think I'm cool enough to follow and comment on. If you would like, I could sign an autographed picture for you too.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,564,498 times
Quote:

:Yawn:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area