Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times

Advertisements

Hi, all:

I am interviewing for a position in Buffalo. I currently live in Westchester County (rather suburban area just north of the Bronx, if you haven't been), and I'm wondering where a similar area exists in/near Buffalo. What do I mean by "Westchester"?:
* Highly rated schools (or at least decently rated and safe);
* Low-crime;
* Not too far from city amenities (within 30-40 minutes of Buffalo's cultural attractions).
Those are the three most pressing desirable aspects. Obviously, if such an area exists and doesn't have Westchester housing prices (say a 1500 sq ft Cape Cod for $600-700K ), that would be an added benefit :-)

Please note that thus far I have only had a Skype interview, so I have never actually been to Buffalo. I would like to get more information here for when I visit for the face-to-face interview, so I can cruise around and check out the area. FYI: I have a wife and two boys (8 y.o and 4 y.o.).

One thing I do know about Buffalo is the weather; I'm from Minnesota originally, so I think I'm pretty well covered!

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:26 PM

93,341 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I'd say that Amherst into Clarence would fit and particularly areas of Amherst in the Amherst Central and Williamsville Central school districts, as well as parts of the Clarence Central SD within the town. Sweet Home SD also in Amherst isn't bad either. Out of these mentioned, Amherst Central fits the criteria the best and I'd probably look in the southern and eastern portions of Eggertsville(CDP) and Snyder, just to the east. I believe that the southern portion of Eggertsville is close to the rail station near the University of Buffalo's South Campus. Snyder around Daemen College and Amherst High has what I call that "Old Money" look/feel. It is also one of the more racially/culturally diverse suburban school districts in the area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-23-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
You may want to run the numbers on living in a nice area in Buffalo and sending your kids to private or high-end city schools. Just an alternative thought, if you don't have three kids you break even and if your kids get into high end schools you come out way ahead. Buffalo schools offer free college tuition to their graduates.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
You may want to run the numbers on living in a nice area in Buffalo and sending your kids to private or high-end city schools. Just an alternative thought, if you don't have three kids you break even and if your kids get into high end schools you come out way ahead. Buffalo schools offer free college tuition to their graduates.
Just curious, but outside of City Honors, Hutch Tech, Olmstead and perhaps Emerson, what are some other good school or program options in BPS?

Also, do you know if charter schools in the city of Buffalo are included in the Say Yes to Education program? I want to say that they are in Syracuse's version, but I'm not completely sure.

Perhaps the OP could be open to say an area of Buffalo like Parkside, Central Park, Elmwood Village or North Buffalo and look into public magnet, charter or private schools in the city.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 PM

DaVinci. Really the idea is to develop yourself outside of school. Pursue other activities, etc., that will make you a more well-rounded person. School is a very narrow lens to look at the world with.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
DaVinci. Really the idea is to develop yourself outside of school. Pursue other activities, etc., that will make you a more well-rounded person. School is a very narrow lens to look at the world with.
I forgot about DaVinci. What about Arts High or certain programs at McKinley Vocational too?

Good point about education going beyond the classroom and school building/property.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:01 PM

The person who replaced my roof went to McKinley and eventually opened his own business. He does quite well for himself. There are many who do not amount to much. Where you go to high school doesn't make that much of a difference. Arts also has some fine programs.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 PM

135 posts, read 149,420 times
A close second would be the US 20A Orchard Park/East Aurora corridor, but as ck said, Amherst/Clarence fits the bill almost perfectly. It will also be the first suburb to gain light rail access if it is ever extended.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM

I wonder if Orchard Park or East Aurora would also fit?

Old 04-02-2016, 04:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
I think that whether you choose the Northtowns (Amherst, Clarence) or the Southtowns (Hamburg, Orchard Park) really depends upon:
  • where your job is located since it makes no sense to live in the Northtowns if the job is located somewhere south of the city and vice versa. Of course, if it's downtown, then either is a good choice.
  • what kind of atmosphere you prefer. The Northtowns seem denser, more crowded, with more traffic, more commercial and business centers, etc while the Southtowns are more spread out, have less traffic, etc and seem much closer to the rural areas. Part of this is simply because Amherst has been a popular suburb since the 1950s while Hamburg and OP have largely developed since the 1980s. If you want proximity to Lake Erie/beaches/boating, the Southtowns offers that, the Northtowns less so.
  • your feelings about dealing with significant snowfalls. Amherst gets considerably less snow and gets it less often than does Hamburg/OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area