Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,146,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I lived in South Carolina for six years. Had a nice all brick house with low taxes. I moved back to WNY. It's not all about low taxes.
I have a friend who built a house in the Myrtle Beach area about a decade ago. It's a nice house but nothing special. Yeah, her taxes are lower than a similar house here but her home owners insurance is in the thousands even though she has a huge deductible because she's in both a flood zone and a hurricane prone area (that's true of most of coastal SC).

I visited her there. If it wasn't for the heat, I could live in the Low Country but I couldn't live in/around Myrtle Beach area. It's just the last place I could imagine retiring to ever. Terrible traffic, even in the "off season". Culturally barren even compared to the "Redneck Heaven" in the Southern Tier where I currently live; there's more to life than shopping and golf, especially if you don't golf. Virtually no social contact between "locals" and "transplants" since most of the "transplants" huddle in their pricey subdivisions and only befriend each other while the "locals" provide the services and keep their distance. I was appalled by what passed for "lifestyle" there.

Conway is a much nicer town (I think it's the county seat), and Georgetown is a gem. I could live in Georgetown even though it's mocked for its aromatic paper mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 AM

92,097 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I have a friend who built a house in the Myrtle Beach area about a decade ago. It's a nice house but nothing special. Yeah, her taxes are lower than a similar house here but her home owners insurance is in the thousands even though she has a huge deductible because she's in both a flood zone and a hurricane prone area (that's true of most of coastal SC).

I visited her there. If it wasn't for the heat, I could live in the Low Country but I couldn't live in/around Myrtle Beach area. It's just the last place I could imagine retiring to ever. Terrible traffic, even in the "off season". Culturally barren even compared to the "Redneck Heaven" in the Southern Tier where I currently live; there's more to life than shopping and golf, especially if you don't golf. Virtually no social contact between "locals" and "transplants" since most of the "transplants" huddle in their pricey subdivisions and only befriend each other while the "locals" provide the services and keep their distance. I was appalled by what passed for "lifestyle" there.

Conway is a much nicer town (I think it's the county seat), and Georgetown is a gem. I could live in Georgetown even though it's mocked for its aromatic paper mill.
That is a nice way to put it(lol), as I remember going by it when visiting relatives in the area years ago.

Yeah, Conway at least has Coastal Carolina University too. So, it is probably one of the nicer, non touristy communities in the Pee Dee/Grand Strand area.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is a nice way to put it(lol), as I remember going by it when visiting relatives in the area years ago.

Yeah, Conway at least has Coastal Carolina University too. So, it is probably one of the nicer, non touristy communities in the Pee Dee/Grand Strand area.
Touristy can be nice ... I live in a small seasonally touristy area and I love places like Rockport, MA or even Lake George, NY. The touristy areas of Myrtle Beach which are close to the ocean seem what you'd expect from tourist areas. It's the areas away from there -- the miles upon miles of brand new subdivisions with cookie-cutter houses filled almost exclusively with people from further north -- that seemed grim to me. I could navigate around her area (Murrell's Inlet) fairly well after a couple of days but I needed the GPS once I got into her subdivision: all the houses were essentially the same floor plan with limited variations and a very limited non-descript paint palette.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,202,680 times
Not sure why people fight back and forth on if Erie county or whatever lost or gained population.

The people who want to stay in NY, wouldn't you want less population, so that you have an easier ride into work?

Less traffic and less people breathing the air around you?

Population goes towards prosperity, and sometimes it goes towards milder climates.

Every place has it's ups and downs. We have floods all over central Texas. Sometimes ice storms as well.

We live in a cookie cutter house in a newer subdivision and we are plenty happy.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM

92,097 posts, read 122,326,409 times
I don't think people are fighting back and forth. I think it is more of a wait and see due to census estimates being off in the recent past.

It is the same with people that leave and have to come back on this forum to tell posters about another state. Shrug.....

Old 05-24-2016, 05:49 AM

I think the OP of this thread is just another of those nasty trolls that one often finds frequently on state/local threads who likes to rile up locals. I don't respond to his/her bait. If/when the thread turns to something actually pertinent to the area, then I'll respond.

Every place has pluses and minuses. Weather is something that can't be changed, so if you don't like it, just say it and move on IMO. With areas prone to natural disasters, that's somewhat different because an earthquake or flood or brush/forest fire can be very devastating -- and if you live in an area prone to some type of disaster long enough, you likely will be impacted by it. Often with economics, whether you prosper or not depends upon what field/business you're in. The same with what people want in "amenities". Living out in a rural area seems very appealing to people who live in cities and suburbs, but living miles from town, being dependent upon well and sewer and having satellite internet (or dial up!) and having to drive 3 or 4 miles or more just to get bread, milk, and cat food can get old fast.

It's all a trade off, and what makes person A happy might not suit person B.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:44 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,304,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
It's not surprising that any county outside of NYC is declining in any and every respect. With the exception of NYC, every other county is often treated as the state's ugly stepchild. Shame on anyone who joins this thread complaining about the decline of Erie County (or any other county) yet voted for Cuomo.
NYC is not a County.

New York City (NYC) and Manhattan are in New York County, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens are their own county, and Staten Island is in (makes) Richmond county.

Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk are counties on Long Island.

The comment about Cuomo is equally incorrect but requires more to understand why.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,238,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
NYC is not a County.

New York City (NYC) and Manhattan are in New York County, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens are their own county, and Staten Island is in (makes) Richmond county.

The comment about Cuomo is equally incorrect but requires more to understand why.
his non-verifiable opinion is incorrect??? Okayyyyy then.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,773,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
NYC is not a County.

Geography lesson:

NYC is composed of New York County (Manhattan), Bronx County( the Bronx), Richmond County (Staten Island), Kings County (Brooklyn) and Queens county (Queens)

Nassau County and Suffolk county are counties on LI outside NYC.

Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk are on LI physically..

Gees! You will confuse people if you do not get that right!

Old 06-01-2016, 05:22 PM

255 posts, read 233,192 times
Another 50 to 60 Families will be leaving.
Island Oasis Plant on Niagara St is closing and they are moving
all there operations to there Columbus OH Plant, Most workers are going to accept the transfer
to the Columbus OH Plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area