Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 24,373 times

Advertisements

HI All,

I am looking to relocate to Buffalo from Toronto but am unsure where to start. First I would need a job in the accounting/finance field since I am a CMA(management accountant). Looked around at a few websites but can't seem to find one that is of any value for what I am looking for. For example Canada has workopolis.com which is pretty much the daddy of job boards but the ones which apply to the Buffalo area seem to be scattered throughout.

Any recommendations on where I should look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,839,478 times
try monster.com lots of things there!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM

450 posts, read 1,508,401 times
Default Re:

Freed Maxick is a pretty big accounting firm downtown.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,211,388 times
Just curious. Why would you want to move from Toronto to Buffalo? I know Toronto has lots of problems (traffic, pollution, overbuilding), but it's a very exciting place. Buffalo has some very good points, but it's not Toronto!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 24,373 times
Been in Toronto for 10+ years and have pretty much done everything I care to do. The big thing is traffic, cost of housing, and not a great place if you’re into outdoors stuff. If you don't mind spending an 1-1.5 hrs getting to work then you’re alright but that is not my cup of tea. 15 hrs a week travelling, that’s half a work week for government workers which you are not getting paid for. Living in Buffalo will allow me to go back to Toronto on a weekend in the same amount of time I would take on a monday to dirve to and from work.

I have been to lots of Bills and Sabres games and think the Buffalo area defiantly has some positives and more potential than people give it credit for. The city can be much better there just has to be somebody who will implement. More things could happen in 3-5 years that you think. People are nice as well

There are also negatives as well. Given Buffalo's negatives can easily be seen in a weekend trip other cities do have the same problems more or less even though they have those nice bridges and statues for image. What I feel Buffalo needs to kick start is more corporate head offices. It’s in an excellent location to serve US and Canada with a port and an underutilized airport.

All in all since I have not lived in Buffalo I have no idea if I would like it more than Toronto or not but you gotta live there for a year or so before you know. All I know now is that I hate those toll roads.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 17,947 times
BuffaloJobs: Home
BuffaloJobs: Job Postings

I don't know how great this site is, I've only heard a radio ad about it...

The first post is for a Accounting application developer, but I don't know if that was what you were looking for.

There are a ton of results for online Buffalo job sites on google too:
buffalo jobs - Google Search

Good Luck

Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 PM

11 posts, read 20,057 times
Hi Babbsy,

Buffalo would be thrilled to have another Bills and Sabers Fan move to our area. Buffalo does have a lot to offer. As you already have noticed the hospitality and warmth of Western New Yorkers is beyond compare.

You are right, we are very fortunate with the traffic here. We have our trouble spots, but they don't usually last long and we know the spots to avoid (Blue Water Tower is one). 1/2 hour is average drive in rush hour to get to where you have to go and could be much less depending on where you live and work.

Real Estate is very affordable in Western New York and there is plenty to choose from. I sell homes in our terrific area and I love it. Whether it is someone like yourself moving to our area for the first time or someone who has moved away and are relocating back, or one of the many families that have out grown their home or the older generation that are ready to downsize. Their are many options for homeowners in Western New York and finding a well priced home is not hard to do.

For job hunting I would also recommend BuffaloJobs: Home. A few others to check would be: Buffalo Accounting Jobs at Jobs.net : Jobs in Buffalo, New York and the surrounding area, Buffalo Banking Jobs - View Buffalo Banking Job Listings and Buffalo Accounting Jobs - View Buffalo Accounting Job Listings

Our school systems are fantastic we have top rated public schools as well as top notch private schools.

One of my friends and associates at our office is from Toronto and I recently asked her why Buffalo vs. Toronto and she stated the exact same reasons you did; traffic, cost of living, cost of real estate.

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Terri

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-24-2008 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 06:00 PM

639 posts, read 1,062,495 times
Um, you sort of have to be a US citizen or have a green card to work in this country, or at least you have to get permission to work here. Sometimes if a company really wants you they can make a special request, but this has to be worked out. Also make sure your finance skills apply in the US, since the laws are different.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 PM

161 posts, read 699,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbsy View Post
HI All,

I am looking to relocate to Buffalo from Toronto but am unsure where to start. First I would need a job in the accounting/finance field since I am a CMA(management accountant). Looked around at a few websites but can't seem to find one that is of any value for what I am looking for. For example Canada has workopolis.com which is pretty much the daddy of job boards but the ones which apply to the Buffalo area seem to be scattered throughout.

Any recommendations on where I should look?
Try Looking For Employment? - Buffalo Niagara Enterprise -- it's a horribly designed web site, ugly and not very user-friendly; also, you have to sign up in order to view the jobs, but once you get to the job list, you should be able to see if there is anything here that you're interested in.

There is also buffalojobfinder.com, which is the site that links to the job listings in The Buffalo News.

Some companies also advertise on Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com

Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 156,044 times
You could try this agency. It is a temp agency, but a lot of times, the jobs turn into permanent positions.
williamsville > Home

Also, as far as Buffalo vs. Toronto, I think the Buffalo area is a great place to live. My family and I have moved back here 3 times. There is a lot to do. Sports, Entertainment, Shopping, etc. I'm sure Toronto has it's qualities too, but we have made wonderful friends, and just love what the area has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area