Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 PM

255 posts, read 235,589 times

Advertisements

Just like the old AM& A's & Statler, How many years have they been vacant,

Old 06-08-2016, 05:29 AM

937 posts, read 698,998 times
But. there are no shortage of NEW, mostly ugly, tasteless steel & glass buildings being built by suburban contractors who only know 'new'. Starting with the joke of a eyesore Erie County had built a few years ago on Elm & S. Division St's.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:43 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
If the "Depot" was downtown, it would of been long developed and fully occupied.

Amazing the state is pushing for $1,000,000,000 (as in billion) for extend that useless 'trucking subsidy' called the '219', but there is no money to bring back a landmark which would turn around the east side.

How do you explain the 98% vacant Statler?

Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 AM

Too many other hotels, lack of more convenient parking & apparent insufficient remodeling of the rooms themselves based on what I have read over the years.
I never stayed there, nor have I ever seen any of the rooms, so that isn't first hand.

What does your question have to do with what you quoted??

Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Too many other hotels, lack of more convenient parking & apparent insufficient remodeling of the rooms themselves based on what I have read over the years.
I never stayed there, nor have I ever seen any of the rooms, so that isn't first hand.

What does your question have to do with what you quoted??

I rate the Statler in the same category as the CT. Historic, iconic landmark. That's why I didn't also mention HSBC

There are new hotels going up in Buffalo all the time. If someone did a botch job in the past, why don't they fix it or tear the building down?

If you're talking the 219, I agree with you. I've seen it many places called "one of the most wasteful highway projects in the country"

Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Default Google Earth views

One of the immediate problems are the old REA buildings, especially where the platform tracks were. There us nothing to save as there wasn't with the Old NYC Freighthouse on Ohio St. which was finally torn down.

Clearing the area to the SW of the tower would make a huge difference. I have yet to see anyone even mentioning this anywhere. See the attachments (the areas outlined in red in the closeup).

FYI;

In the 1st pic; the short lived K-Mart is at the top left,
the USPS facility on William St. is the lower right,
the Belt Line runs due north of the Depot,
the Broadway Market (and parking ramp) is towards the upper left.

In the closeup; the station platform tracks east of the Concourse (which is not accessible due to the removal of a portion of it back in the 80's for clearance reasons) have been used by an construction equipment parts dealer (believe it or not),
the far left lower structure was part of the REA loading/unloading platforms which is the biggest eyesore,
NE of that were their offices (I believe).

(The black lines are what Google Earth thinks are active rail lines. Some of those are not in these shots)

I would also like to see removed is a four story office extension of the tower which I see no use for considering the vast amount of space in the main structure (not outlined).
Attached Thumbnails
Bold Plan for the Central Terminal-central-terminal-broadway-william-fillmore-peck   Bold Plan for the Central Terminal-central-terminal-closeup.jpg  

Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 AM

255 posts, read 235,589 times
The CT office tower itself floor plans are very small and has a large Elevator core w/4 Elevators
taking up 1/4 to 1/3 of each floor plan, It's cheaper to tear it down and build a new replica or something new
but even if you did, What's going to go in there because of it's location ? Just about every single new project
is either Lofts, condos, & apartments, soon or later you going to have to many of them for the market and prices are going to drop, You need new business's to support them.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:03 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Terminal website: Buffalo Central Terminal

Old 03-05-2017, 01:05 AM

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, it looks like the real push is just to move the existing station south down Exchange St. to favor "Canalside" thanks to certain people with $$ (AKA Amherst style).

Problem with that is simple, the two most important medium trains are still NOT served: The Lake Shore Limited #48 & 49.

Some argue, there are other Empire Service trains around the same time going east and to a lessor extent coming west, but that completely missed the point of where those trains service:
WEST OF BUFFALO!

What could be more convenient for someone from the west, Chicago for example, to arrive close to downtown Buffalo at 9am in the morning after a nights rest on a train.
And the reverse, leave downtown at midnight, get their rest and arrive west of Cleveland in the early morning hours.

The Mayor needed to realized this also, not bow to $$ just because a certain interest owns a sports team. There is enough going on at Canalside, spread the wealth elsewhere and service ALL the trains in one location.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:18 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, it looks like the real push is just to move the existing station south down Exchange St. to favor "Canalside" thanks to certain people with $$ (AKA Amherst style).

Problem with that is simple, the two most important medium trains are still NOT served: The Lake Shore Limited #48 & 49.

Some argue, there are other Empire Service trains around the same time going east and to a lessor extent coming west, but that completely missed the point of where those trains service:
WEST OF BUFFALO!

What could be more convenient for someone from the west, Chicago for example, to arrive close to downtown Buffalo at 9am in the morning after a nights rest on a train.
And the reverse, leave downtown at midnight, get their rest and arrive west of Cleveland in the early morning hours.

The Mayor needed to realized this also, not bow to $$ just because a certain interest owns a sports team. There is enough going on at Canalside, spread the wealth elsewhere and service ALL the trains in one location.
Makes sense and it is in an area that still has some decent "bones" nearby, but just needs to be revitalized.

There is the question of if the area could or should have 2 train stations or could the Central Terminal be used for a local transportation purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area