Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 PM

255 posts, read 233,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymiller View Post
Whatever you do, avoid Buffalo! This is a horrific city that is so annoying. Lots of incompetence with little accountability. What's happened is that the locals are so ashamed of it that they distance themselves from reality and create their own fantasy that Buffalo is a wonderful place. Can't blame them, it's either that or face the horrors of the realities of being here. The problem is, and this is SO important, most people have not seen better to know better. Many delude themselves into thinking Buffalo is better than what it really is because they are stuck here for family or job and don't want to admit that there are so many flaws. Just you don't believe it. Did you know that Buffalo has among the highest murder rates in the US? That it was voted The Rudest City in America a few years ago (search for this online)? That the education and politics here are very poor, and that there hasn't been a major sports team winner here since 1965 (almost as bad as Cleveland's 1964 but that could change soon, at least Cleveland has competitive teams such as the Indians and Cavaliers)? That there is currently an investigation into how the "Buffalo Billion (Dollars)" given by the governor is being spent (or pocketed)? Check the facts and then decide. The average person here is pleasant enough but is very suspicious of outsiders. They often ask where you're from. Don't tell them! Their demeanor (emphasis MEAN) changes as soon as you say you are not from here. You are branded some sort of alien who hates Buffalo and will make fun of it. You'll get this weird vibe. It's not you, it's them! Just know that. Keep in close contact with the people you know best, not the people here. There are a few nice ones, but in general this place is warped. I've met some of the weirdest people ever here who have said and believe some of the stupidest things ever. This is a place you pass through only. Get some chicken wings and be on your way to a better place. I repeat that you should read the objective survey about Buffalo being the rudest city. Google it right after reading this. People here never want to discuss this or are dismissive of it. Another lack of recognizing reality. You be better and smarter. Don't believe that the city is booming. Canalside added a few planks of wood and has some free concerts. Other cities have the same and better. Come back to Buffalo in 50 years and maybe it will really change. The best thing about it then might be that with global warming this will be the opposite of a hot spot and get people coming here for the coolness (that is, weather, not anything else like the art they think is so good here but is terrible). Until then, just about anywhere else is better than this place.
Agree 100% about everything you said is so true. Also there is Lack of Pubic Safety, It's 2016 and the Buffalo Fire Department still only provides 1960's basic life support level when Fire Department Paramedic's & Advanced Life support is the norm just about everywhere else in the country and there is a lack of ambulance's and wait times for a ambulance can be 30 minutes or longer. Now in the Suburbs you pay $10,000 for property taxes and you still have volunteer fire departments that are not manned ,resulting in very very long response times and unqualified & uncertified member's show up, What you are paying for are the 100's & 100's SUV's take home cars which are mostly brand new Tahoe's , The new ones now have LED color message boards on the roof, custom cabinets, Kingdom Fire Station's and 100's of fire trucks that they don't have the man power anymore to staff them, Which again shows the incompetence and no accountability of the local governments

Last edited by TanLegs; 06-18-2016 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:35 AM

6,281 posts, read 4,793,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymiller View Post
Whatever you do, avoid Buffalo! This is a horrific city that is so annoying. Lots of incompetence with little accountability. What's happened is that the locals are so ashamed of it that they distance themselves from reality and create their own fantasy that Buffalo is a wonderful place. Can't blame them, it's either that or face the horrors of the realities of being here. The problem is, and this is SO important, most people have not seen better to know better. Many delude themselves into thinking Buffalo is better than what it really is because they are stuck here for family or job and don't want to admit that there are so many flaws. Just you don't believe it. Did you know that Buffalo has among the highest murder rates in the US? That it was voted The Rudest City in America a few years ago (search for this online)? That the education and politics here are very poor, and that there hasn't been a major sports team winner here since 1965 (almost as bad as Cleveland's 1964 but that could change soon, at least Cleveland has competitive teams such as the Indians and Cavaliers)? That there is currently an investigation into how the "Buffalo Billion (Dollars)" given by the governor is being spent (or pocketed)? Check the facts and then decide. The average person here is pleasant enough but is very suspicious of outsiders. They often ask where you're from. Don't tell them! Their demeanor (emphasis MEAN) changes as soon as you say you are not from here. You are branded some sort of alien who hates Buffalo and will make fun of it. You'll get this weird vibe. It's not you, it's them! Just know that. Keep in close contact with the people you know best, not the people here. There are a few nice ones, but in general this place is warped. I've met some of the weirdest people ever here who have said and believe some of the stupidest things ever. This is a place you pass through only. Get some chicken wings and be on your way to a better place. I repeat that you should read the objective survey about Buffalo being the rudest city. Google it right after reading this. People here never want to discuss this or are dismissive of it. Another lack of recognizing reality. You be better and smarter. Don't believe that the city is booming. Canalside added a few planks of wood and has some free concerts. Other cities have the same and better. Come back to Buffalo in 50 years and maybe it will really change. The best thing about it then might be that with global warming this will be the opposite of a hot spot and get people coming here for the coolness (that is, weather, not anything else like the art they think is so good here but is terrible). Until then, just about anywhere else is better than this place.
Thank you for the highly complementary description of Buffalo. No matter what you say Buffalo is on the rise. I was one of the biggest Buffalo haters there was but no more. I have lived here 63 years and it has gone way downhill but now is on the upswing. Yes the taxes are too high, and the weather is not the best. We have 2 professional sports teams with a wonderful new owner. My house has appreciated 20% in the last 2 years. Its not just the city of Buffalo its the entire area that should be judged. Many cities with large African American populations have soaring crime rates, its not solely Buffalo. If you hate Buffalo so much then don't live there.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:57 AM

92,201 posts, read 122,469,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
You could take Jefferson but it's still 35 minutes on a good day, it might be faster than the highways in bad weather but it's still not a short commute.

Henrietta is more east, but also south and very convenient to get on the thruway there. Like I said, it's a 10-15 minute difference tops and when you add up total commute time, you save time/gas money/car wear and tear living closer to work.
Is it 35 minutes from Chili to Pittsford? I'm referring to parts of Chili still in the Churchville-Chili SD near Jefferson Road(Route 252).

Old 06-19-2016, 06:03 PM

255 posts, read 233,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Thank you for the highly complementary description of Buffalo. No matter what you say Buffalo is on the rise. I was one of the biggest Buffalo haters there was but no more. I have lived here 63 years and it has gone way downhill but now is on the upswing. Yes the taxes are too high, and the weather is not the best. We have 2 professional sports teams with a wonderful new owner. My house has appreciated 20% in the last 2 years. Its not just the city of Buffalo its the entire area that should be judged. Many cities with large African American populations have soaring crime rates, its not solely Buffalo. If you hate Buffalo so much then don't live there.

The Bills days are numbered in Buffalo, actually till 2019 & 2020, that's when The NFL owners will demand the release clauses be used and they relocate the Bills to Las Vegas if they don't get the Raiders or the Bills will become the Austin/San Antonio Bills, has a nice ring to it. Even if the State builds them a new stadium, they don't have enough corporate business's to purchase the 100's & 100's of luxury suites that go with a new stadium. both the NFL & Pegula know that, Even Ralph Wilson said it, "Buffalo's poor, I can build a new stadium right now, but we can't fill the luxury suites and enjoy your Bills while you have them" But if Pegula wants to buy all the luxury suites, then maybe the Bills can stay in Buffalo, But Mr. Pegula is business man too, that's why he didn't touch One Seneca Place. If St Louis, San Diego, Oakland can't afford there NFL teams. How can Buffalo ?

Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
The Bills days are numbered in Buffalo, actually till 2019 & 2020, that's when The NFL owners will demand the release clauses be used and they relocate the Bills to Las Vegas if they don't get the Raiders or the Bills will become the Austin/San Antonio Bills, has a nice ring to it. Even if the State builds them a new stadium, they don't have enough corporate business's to purchase the 100's & 100's of luxury suites that go with a new stadium. both the NFL & Pegula know that, Even Ralph Wilson said it, "Buffalo's poor, I can build a new stadium right now, but we can't fill the luxury suites and enjoy your Bills while you have them" But if Pegula wants to buy all the luxury suites, then maybe the Bills can stay in Buffalo, But Mr. Pegula is business man too, that's why he didn't touch One Seneca Place. If St Louis, San Diego, Oakland can't afford there NFL teams. How can Buffalo ?
I don't know if San Antonio or Austin would make sense given that UT Football runs Austin and the Alamodome in San Antonio needs to be renovated or there needs to be a new stadium there. Plus, both are pretty close to each other.

With the Bills really being a regional team in a sport that plays 8 games, once a week out of a 16 game season, the franchise would be smart to have a regional outreach in terms of ticket sales.

Also, there have been renovations to the stadium, that are still being touched up. So, they could probably go a little beyond the current deadline, if need be.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:15 PM

West Henrietta is right by the I-90/I-390 interchange and is a short commute to Pittsford as well. I believe that Buffalo's airport is a little under an hour and there is plenty of shopping nearby.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:41 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,227,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
Put the crack pike down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area