Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 12:43 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Stats are subject to so much interpretation and often interpreted to perfectly support your own personal argument. I interpret this as indicating Buffalo's private industry is dominantly small biz. Small biz is better, more stable. I win yet again Michael. But you win a box of tissues on me.
Basically and a simple search for information would show that many of the areas high on the list are growing. If you work at UB, Buff State or ECC, you are considered to be a state employee. Which reminds me as I think that poster actually worked at one of those places and lives in Raleigh now, if I'm not mistaken. I knew that there was a catch......

Also, the thread topic is about "The Real Buffalo", which is quite loaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:53 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Stats are subject to so much interpretation and often interpreted to perfectly support your own personal argument. I interpret this as indicating Buffalo's private industry is dominantly small biz. Small biz is better, more stable. I win yet again Michael. But you win a box of tissues on me.
Logical fallacy, 2.0.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:23 PM

255 posts, read 235,589 times
Upstate NY is becoming Detroit with grass
How high taxes and regulation are killing one of the most prosperous states in the nation | Deseret News National

Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,480 times
Talk about cherry picking stats in that article. Since Rochester is mentioned in the article, I'd like to point out that the author is obviously incapable of understanding statistics.

Quote:
Industry has fled upstate New York. “In 1988, Kodak employed 62,000 people in Rochester,” says Sandra Parker, president of the Rochester Business Alliance. “Today it employs 4,000. Xerox has moved most of its people out while Bausch & Lomb, which was founded in Rochester in 1858, has left entirely.”

As a result, Rochester is now the fifth poorest city in the country, with 31 percent of the population living in poverty. Buffalo is right behind at No. 6 (30 percent).
So the basis of that argument is that Kodak and Xerox jobs leaving have caused the poverty rate in the city of Rochester to become the 5th poorest city in the country. Oh really? So if we look at the stats of Monroe County where the city of Rochester is located, the child poverty rate is 23%. The national average is 22%. So taking the whole county into perspective the poverty rate is average. And if you count Monroe County while excluding the city, the rate is 10%. Wow, so that means the suburbs must be affluent then?

The author makes the jump to claim that industry leaving Rochester has caused the high poverty rate. So where are all the affluent suburbanites working at then if the only job creation in Rochester was Kodak and Xerox?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Talk about cherry picking stats in that article. Since Rochester is mentioned in the article, I'd like to point out that the author is obviously incapable of understanding statistics.

So the basis of that argument is that Kodak and Xerox jobs leaving have caused the poverty rate in the city of Rochester to become the 5th poorest city in the country. Oh really? So if we look at the stats of Monroe County where the city of Rochester is located, the child poverty rate is 23%. The national average is 22%. So taking the whole county into perspective the poverty rate is average. And if you count Monroe County while excluding the city, the rate is 10%. Wow, so that means the suburbs must be affluent then?

The author makes the jump to claim that industry leaving Rochester has caused the high poverty rate. So where are all the affluent suburbanites working at then if the only job creation in Rochester was Kodak and Xerox?
Yes, this article seems to leave out that comparing cites in many stats like poverty are a lot of times apples and oranges when cities in other regions just annex unincorporated land or suburban like communities into their city limits or have done so later than when NY cities stopped doing so. It skips over the growth in many of Upstate NY's smaller cities and some improvements, as well as some recent job announcements as well. So, it is obvious as to the tenor of the article.

A lot of people may not realize that a lot of talent at those bigger companies in Rochester just started their own smaller companies.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

A lot of people may not realize that a lot of talent at those bigger companies in Rochester just started their own smaller companies.

Xerox still employs 7000+ and Bausch and Lomb 1500 in Rochester.

Rochester's Unique Place in the Rustbelt Revival - CityLab

Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
There are hundreds, if not thousands of people putting video's of the real Buffalo & putting comments on You Tube & FB. On your Buffalo Facebook friends pages, you see more and more of them relocating to South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas, Arizona, & Florida, Cary NC is aka as New Buffalo, Once they move to their new city, they starting telling and showing all their FB friends & family how much better & cheaper it is and keep telling them to move down with them. The real miserable people live in Buffalo, there so miserable, that there living in a delusional world
Actually, Cary was known as "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees", not New Buffalo. Now, I hear more people calling this area "Silicon Valley East". The number #1 license plate you see from out of town in Cary? California, hands down. No one here has a NC accent, and NYers are mostly from downstate where it is simply too expensive to have the American dream. In Cary, you can have it, although it is not as cheap as it once was and its definitely not as cheap as Buffalo.

You may meet someone from Buffalo, but there's people from all over now, mostly California, and increasingly, overseas. You will see entire communities filled with Indian people in Cary, especially in the Morrisville area. Run into someone at Harris Teeter, there's a good chance they're Indian. Or from California, Michigan, Ohio, PA, etc. No one is from there. And you are competing for jobs with people willing to work for a lot less- no unions there. 12 hour workday is common in the right-to-work states. A $15 an hour job was considered by people I spoke with to be very competitive right now. $35k a year is not unheard of in a job that requires a ton of experience.

The Triangle is a nice place to live, no doubt, but there's actually a lot more going on in Western NY than in eastern NC. I spent a lot of time there recently and I came away with this: if you want a big, new house with all of the modern updates and conveniences, and you like shopping in brand new shopping centers, Cary is for you. If you have a tech job, and make decent money, you can buy a new cookie cutter house on a small lot and eat at a lot of great chain restaurants, because there isn't much else to do. The beach isn't that close and the mountains are even further. There aren't many attractions in the Triangle, honestly. If you want other things out of life, other places might be better. IMO

Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Actually, Cary was known as "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees", not New Buffalo. Now, I hear more people calling this area "Silicon Valley East". The number #1 license plate you see from out of town in Cary? California, hands down. No one here has a NC accent, and NYers are mostly from downstate where it is simply too expensive to have the American dream. In Cary, you can have it, although it is not as cheap as it once was and its definitely not as cheap as Buffalo.

You may meet someone from Buffalo, but there's people from all over now, mostly California, and increasingly, overseas. You will see entire communities filled with Indian people in Cary, especially in the Morrisville area. Run into someone at Harris Teeter, there's a good chance they're Indian. Or from California, Michigan, Ohio, PA, etc. No one is from there. And you are competing for jobs with people willing to work for a lot less- no unions there. 12 hour workday is common in the right-to-work states. A $15 an hour job was considered by people I spoke with to be very competitive right now. $35k a year is not unheard of in a job that requires a ton of experience.

The Triangle is a nice place to live, no doubt, but there's actually a lot more going on in Western NY than in eastern NC. I spent a lot of time there recently and I came away with this: if you want a big, new house with all of the modern updates and conveniences, and you like shopping in brand new shopping centers, Cary is for you. If you have a tech job, and make decent money, you can buy a new cookie cutter house on a small lot and eat at a lot of great chain restaurants, because there isn't much else to do. The beach isn't that close and the mountains are even further. There aren't many attractions in the Triangle, honestly. If you want other things out of life, other places might be better. IMO
Median family income is 89K in Cary .. enuf said.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM

255 posts, read 235,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaManise View Post
The Real Buffalo NY
Of course...If you don't like it....please move from there soon.
I like this answer below:
"This thread reminds me of how I felt about Buffalo for many years.
Someone can find endless negative things to say and denigrate all the positives that are going on.
My taxes have not gone up in some time.
TanLegs if you don't like it here, then move. Why do feel you have to come on here and spew all kinds of negativity.
I have lived here far longer than you and the area is on the upswing.
A few years ago I would be on here agreeing with you and trashing the city but it really has changed for the better.
You can post all the videos you want and cite endless statistics but it doesn't change anything.
Houses on my street are selling in weeks instead of months for top prices.
Buffalo is on the rise and after visiting many other cities I feel it has a lot to offer."
A upswing, development and positive things in Buffalo is chicken wings, Beef n Weck
painting classes, live music, & yoga class at canal side, (a 200 million park with mostly grass lawns
because the mini streets they built are empty, because no one what's to invest. and the rows of portable pod toilets sure looks world class. then there's constant banging noise from the cars hitting the expansion
joints on the skyway overhead.
It doesn't mater what I say or what you say, Everyone already knows what the real Buffalo is
(well outside of Buffalo) that's why there's very little to NO private investment.

Business's and people want to be were everyone else is and want's to be and not where
no one is and no want's to be. When your giving away billions of dollars away. free taxes, free utilities, other stipends and even build a 500 million plant and you have no takers and the City's tallest building is all vacant and went into bankruptcy and try to auction it off and again you have no takers, It all comes down to everyone already knows what the real Buffalo is

Last edited by TanLegs; 07-12-2016 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
A upswing, development and positive things in Buffalo is chicken wings, Beef n Weck
painting classes, live music, & yoga class at canal side, (a 200 million park with mostly grass lawns
because the mini streets they built are empty, because no one what's to invest. and the rows of portable pod toilets sure looks world class. then there's constant banging noise from the cars hitting the expansion
joints on the skyway overhead.
It doesn't mater what I say or what you say, Everyone already knows what the real Buffalo is
(well outside of Buffalo) that's why there's very little to NO private investment.

Business's and people want to be were everyone else is and want's to be and not where
no one is and no want's to be. When your giving away billions of dollars away. free taxes, free utilities, other stipends and even build a 500 million plant and you have no takers and the City's tallest building is all vacant and went into bankruptcy and try to auction it off and again you have no takers, It all comes down to everyone already knows what the real Buffalo is
You still can't deny the other projects and developments occurring in the city/area, as you are going to get good and bad. It just a matter of perspective and if you are in Las Vegas/North Las Vegas, you aren't going to see what changes for the better are occurring.

You can just as easily look at other media outlets in the area like the Business Journal, that may have a specific information that may not be in mainstream media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area