Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 05:57 PM

275 posts, read 467,997 times

Advertisements

I actually miss the cold snowy winters. Buffalo has awesome change of seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 06:00 PM

92,181 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitwo8765 View Post
I think people acknowledge the bad as well. People are happy there is finally some positive going on in the area.its not all bad. For me, the biggest things that were bad were the jobs and taxes. But that could be a lot of NY state.
I think with jobs it is that a lot of it has gone the STEM route and people have to get out of the good manufacturing job mindset. So, people may have to go retrain or go back to school for the job positions available. That is the direction the economy is going in and I think many people get stuck on what the economy used to be versus looking at what it is now. This isn't to say that there doesn't need to be more jobs or that everyone has to work a STEM based job, but there just needs to be a re-evaluation of job openings and skills/education.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:36 PM

821 posts, read 753,144 times
Agreed. Buffalo's manufacturing sector is too far gone to ever be the path to future properity.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:44 PM

255 posts, read 233,294 times
Population loses are worst then what I first read , People are now fleeing out of Buffalo
5,256 longtime residents left Erie & Niagara county in 2015, that's just one year
and got replace supposedly by 4,000 refugees from other countries when there is no way
to track refugees & numbers from other counties

here's the link again
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...imate-20160324

Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM

92,181 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
Population loses are worst then what I first read , People are now fleeing out of Buffalo
5,256 longtime residents left Erie & Niagara county in 2015, that's just one year
and got replace supposedly by 4,000 refugees from other countries when there is no way
to track refugees & numbers from other counties

here's the link again
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...imate-20160324
Many refugees get to such areas by way of Catholic Charities and other Upstate areas have also gotten their share of refugees. Metros such as St. Louis(Bosnians) and Minneapolis-St. Paul(SE Asian, Somalians, etc.) are also know for being refugee hubs. refugees | Innovation Trail

Getting immigrants/refugees isn't something new for the area, by the way.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:39 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,227,327 times
I returned after 16 years!!!!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:00 AM

908 posts, read 1,113,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitwo8765 View Post
I think people acknowledge the bad as well. People are happy there is finally some positive going on in the area.its not all bad. For me, the biggest things that were bad were the jobs and taxes. But that could be a lot of NY state.
The jobs haven't changed. In my hometown, Jamestown, the city attempts to trumpet the fact that there are a few new eating establishments to replace the fact that probably 300 jobs have been lost in the industrial realm in the same time span. They sweep that under the rug because it doesn't fit a narrative. And I think it's just human nature to beg for the flooding to stop. So when the water recedes down from the roof to the mantle of the fireplace, people cheer out of desperation.

There may be some fact in those narratives also being pushed by those who benefit the most - i.e. investors who want property appreciation. The ones who bought in many years ago.

The spin always happens both on negative end and positive end. But I think the positive spins annoy me personally more because for those not familiar, they paint a picture that isn't true. I would rather go to a place and be pleasantly surprised at how it is underrated than go somewhere and find it is overrated and I'm going to get mugged walking home from dinner in Elmwood Village.

The only response to many of the negative facts regarding Buffalo is, "they're not in my backyard". Well, when you're white and middle class, sure, Buffalo is a sandbox. But for the huge swaths of poor living in collapsing infrastructure, they don't have that option. Buffalo inequality is terrible. And the problems begin there.

I would assume you're wealthier relative to Buffalo standards and white and live on the outskirts of town or in a 'burb because you wouldn't have forgotten crime in the list of worst things.

NY being bad is factual as well. It is one of the worst states to live in, IMHO.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:26 AM

821 posts, read 753,144 times
Default Buffalo Inequality

Buffalo's inequality is no doubt apparent, but it is no worse than the rest of the country. According to this article, Buffalo's income inequality is actually less than the average for other metro areas. However, I am not oblivious to the rampant poverty that can be found in Buffalo, especially on the East Side. At the end of the day, every city has rich people and poor people. For instance, I traveled through Durham, North Carolina recently, which is a city that has a much higher median household income than Buffalo. When I entered the city, the neighborhood I drove through clearly had a lot of poverty and lower-income households. Every city has its poor neighborhoods, it's just that the city of Buffalo has more poor neighborhoods than most cities in the nation IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...ffalo-yet.html

Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,227,327 times
San Diego has poor neighborhoods as well folks

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM

255 posts, read 233,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
San Diego has poor neighborhoods as well folks

San Diego's poor neighborhoods look like what Buffalo would consider their good neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area