Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:35 AM

255 posts, read 233,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Buffalo's inequality is no doubt apparent, but it is no worse than the rest of the country. According to this article, Buffalo's income inequality is actually less than the average for other metro areas. However, I am not oblivious to the rampant poverty that can be found in Buffalo, especially on the East Side. At the end of the day, every city has rich people and poor people. For instance, I traveled through Durham, North Carolina recently, which is a city that has a much higher median household income than Buffalo. When I entered the city, the neighborhood I drove through clearly had a lot of poverty and lower-income households. Every city has its poor neighborhoods, it's just that the city of Buffalo has more poor neighborhoods than most cities in the nation IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...ffalo-yet.html
Does any other area have both a City and County Control Boards Like City of Buffalo Control Board & County of Erie County Control Board has for nearly 10 years ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 12:04 PM

275 posts, read 467,587 times
Not really wealthier to buffalo standards. I graduated from college 6 years ago. I come from a working class background. My significant other who is from buffalo and I moved away bc I wanted to be closer to my parents who live in Texas. we are both from the southtowns. The disparity is really bad. I used to go to the Broadway market and it looked like a war zone down there. Have not been there in a few years. My whole point is things are finally starting to turn around and I try to look at the positive in life. I grew up in buffalo my whole life and for awhile there it seemed like nothing would ever turn around so I'm happy things are starting to change for the positive. Where I live now there are a lot of neighborhoods that are rampant with poverty and crime too.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:48 PM

91,981 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Buffalo's inequality is no doubt apparent, but it is no worse than the rest of the country. According to this article, Buffalo's income inequality is actually less than the average for other metro areas. However, I am not oblivious to the rampant poverty that can be found in Buffalo, especially on the East Side. At the end of the day, every city has rich people and poor people. For instance, I traveled through Durham, North Carolina recently, which is a city that has a much higher median household income than Buffalo. When I entered the city, the neighborhood I drove through clearly had a lot of poverty and lower-income households. Every city has its poor neighborhoods, it's just that the city of Buffalo has more poor neighborhoods than most cities in the nation IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...ffalo-yet.html
What people have to keep in mind when looking at cities is that some cities have been able to annex unicorporated suburban areas into their cities limits whereas Buffalo and other "older" particularly Northern cities haven't been able to annex suburban areas because towns are incorporated under state law, which stopped annexation almost a century ago. Just look at the land size of different cities to understand what I am referring to.

For instance, Buffalo is only 40 square miles, but a city such as Greensboro NC with roughly the same population is about 130 square miles of land. That is why you'll notice that a lot of Southern cities seem to be very suburban, if not even quite rural in the areas in its outer city neighborhoods. It would be like Buffalo annexing Amherst into its city limits in terms of land size and if that was the case, the city of Buffalo would be viewed differently if this was the case. So, people have to put city comparisons into proper perspective.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,219,425 times
I lived out there and I know.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,219,425 times
there are some nasty areas in San Diego.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
there are some nasty areas in San Diego.

Show me a area in San Diego that resembles a zombie apocalypse or 3rd world country

What's San Diego got to do with Buffalo ?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM

Modern Nostalgia is closing there mini store at Harbor Center, Mini store's can't even make it
with receiving stipends & tax breaks from Buffalo & NYS

Old 08-19-2016, 02:00 AM

8 posts, read 9,040 times
"income inequality"... LoL, I think the traditional definition implies some wealth is actually present, here in Buffalo it is:
- 90% war zone
- 9.98% middle class
- 0.02% national 1 percenters

Old 08-21-2016, 01:03 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,200,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
When the Buffalo FD only Provides 1960's basic level life support and not advance support paramedic level which is the norm just about everywhere else

If a person is having chest pains and you are paramedic level, you hook the person up to a 12 lead EKG and you find what's going on and if the person is having a heart block somewhere, you can start a IV and administer the proper medication to unclog the block, every second waiting to unclog the block more & more heart tissue is dying and eventually the person will go into cardiac arrest and when that happens your odds of surviving are less then 1% and that's just one medical condition
If this is true, that is very frightening. Every firefighter in Central Texas is also an EMT, and every call they run a county ambulance and a fire truck. Every single person is trained.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
If this is true, that is very frightening. Every firefighter in Central Texas is also an EMT, and every call they run a county ambulance and a fire truck. Every single person is trained.
What's even worst is in the suburbs they still have volunteer fire departments and the fire stations are not manned. responses times are very long and just about every house fire is total lost. and on EMS calls along with long response times, when the volunteer fire department finally shows up, they also do not provide Advanced Life support or paramedic level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area