Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 05:06 PM

255 posts, read 233,192 times

Advertisements

WNY's Hospitals ranked poor/below average to average for 2 years in a row

WNY hospitals rank average or lower in federal survey - City & Region - The Buffalo News

2015 Hospitals said they were going to improve
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-cms-star.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM

92,122 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post

WNY hospitals rank average or lower in federal survey - City & Region - The Buffalo News

According to the article, there appears to be some controversy around the grading system due to not taking certain things into account.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Hard to attract doctors to WNY, so you get the bottom of the class doctors
Doctor shortage found in WNY, upstate - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Old 08-01-2016, 02:08 AM

101 posts, read 126,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
According to the article, there appears to be some controversy around the grading system due to not taking certain things into account.
The best healthcare in all of Western NY IMHO is University of Rochester Medical Center, Strong Memorial Hospital... It is nationally ranked top 50 in Diabetes, Neprology, Gynecology, and Neurology

Now, Gates Vascular Institute has helped Kalieda make strides in Cardiac Medicine, and in particular Cardiac Surgery....but the rest of the health care system does need improvements in some areas.

Roswell Park, You can do better nationally for cancer care.....but it's average compared to what else you can find around the country. That doesn't mean i'd never go there if I was sick.

Childrens will get a new building, but that doesn't mean that the hosptial itself is going to be competiting with Nationwide Childrens hospital for best Children's hospital nationally. It's still a standard hospital...not terrible either.

ECMC is just awful.....longest wait times in the region for the ER, but good for renal care, transplants, and burn trauma

There's a still some downsizing and consolidation still going on with the healthcare in this region.....We still have a few hopsitals open that probably don't need to be open anymore..... I would not be suprised if St.Joes in Cheektowaga eventually closed, as well as DeGraf in N.Tonawanda.

The Hospitals Here ....there's no big nationally acclaimed player here like a Cleveland Clinic or a UPMC...but there are some decent facilities. Strong is definetly the best in the region, and they have an outstanding medical school there to anchor it.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Your right, St Joe's, De Graph,& Sisters are closing when the Berger commission meets again
and I have heard many people have to go to Strong Memorial in Rochester, Pittsburg Children's
& to the Cleveland Clinic because Buffalo area hospitals don't do the procedures

Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Your right, St Joe's, De Graph,& Sisters are closing when the Berger commission meets again
and I have heard many people have to go to Strong Memorial in Rochester, Pittsburg Children's
& to the Cleveland Clinic because Buffalo area hospitals don't do the procedures
These facilities may be the best at what they do and is why people may come from all over to go to these facilities for specific care.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Back in the day, People use to come from all over to Buffalo Hospitals because
they use to be best, not anymore

Old 08-23-2016, 09:44 PM

38 posts, read 36,284 times
I believe it. I worked in a WNY hospital for a bit. Coworkers were awesome humans, but the hospital itself was horrid. Nosocomial infections everywhere (almost every patient I saw had had MRSA or C.Diff at least once during their stay), and the medical records system was horrendous. ECMC (not where I worked) is a horror show, and I would rather cut open a relative myself and operate than ever allow one of my loved ones to be treated there for even the flu. Needless to say I don't miss Buffalo one bit, and I don't care how much hate I get for saying that.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:46 PM

38 posts, read 36,284 times
Quote:

Quote:
Strong is alright, at least for upstate NY. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are great facilities. Anyone from Buffalo would do well to leave WNY for ANY medical care. NYC is only an hour's flight away!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynj147 View Post
I believe it. I worked in a WNY hospital for a bit. Coworkers were awesome humans, but the hospital itself was horrid. Nosocomial infections everywhere (almost every patient I saw had had MRSA or C.Diff at least once during their stay), and the medical records system was horrendous. ECMC (not where I worked) is a horror show, and I would rather cut open a relative myself and operate than ever allow one of my loved ones to be treated there for even the flu. Needless to say I don't miss Buffalo one bit, and I don't care how much hate I get for saying that.
What hospital was this? It may be good for people to know, so they don't go there for care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area