Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:24 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
The reason why people move away from even the fastest growing counties in greater numbers than WNY because other state counties have industries, business's, HQ's etc.. and they move there people back and forth from their hub cities in places like Houston, Austin, Phoenix, & Charlotte. Also they are expanding there business's into other growing & new market's which causes more moves
True to some extent, but I think that recently the bulk of those leaving are transplants who don't like their new city and decided to either return or move on to the next place. I know many many people who moved to these boom cities only to be highly dissatisfied with the jobs/pay scale/geography/people/climate in their new cities (Houston, Las Vegas, Charlotte, and Phoenix to be specific) and most have since either returned to the Buffalo area or moved on to another city. Living in a boom town loses its allure pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 06:36 PM

255 posts, read 235,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
True to some extent, but I think that recently the bulk of those leaving are transplants who don't like their new city and decided to either return or move on to the next place. I know many many people who moved to these boom cities only to be highly dissatisfied with the jobs/pay scale/geography/people/climate in their new cities (Houston, Las Vegas, Charlotte, and Phoenix to be specific) and most have since either returned to the Buffalo area or moved on to another city. Living in a boom town loses its allure pretty quickly.
If that was true the stats would show that. I think your watching too many re runs of Mister Rogers World Of Make Believe

Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Nope, the only thing I miss about WNY is my family. I get to see them less, now that I am in Texas.

Strong economy, good pay, own a nice house that is going up in value every year. No state income tax. Nice weather most of the year, the city I live in offers the residents a ton of recreation, and services. My property tax is probably 40 percent less than what I paid in West Seneca near south bufalo.

Just got back from a week's visit in Buffalo. Nice to see that they put a restaurant in the old grain elevators, and wrapped them in Labatt blue vinyl. Was not happy with the poor service, and bland food, very boring. If you have a restaurant, you need to put more than 10 different sandwiches on the menu, most with toasted bread.

The suburbs seem to be doing well. Niagara county looks very nice.

However, I went to see my old house near South Buffalo, the whole block is about to fall over. 3-4 houses in a row are abandoned with FEMA style spraypainting on the front of the building. Been gone 6 years now, more and more people are walking away from these old houses.

Just for kicks, I went on indeed and looked at the IT jobs. Still not many hiring for positions I am in now. The big thing is still yahoo in lockport, I suppose.

Dad pays $6k Taxes to live in his Tonawanda house, says it is not worth it, and he will be selling to move to florida. Dad's neighbor is doing the same, says he is dead tired of the winter, and likes to ride his harley year round.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Everyday I see more & most posts on Facebook about people that have left or in the process of leaving WNY. A lot them are moving to where their kids are or friends are. Wait to the 2015, 2016 census's. come out Population loses are going to be enormous.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:27 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
I know multiple families that have returned from places like Charlotte, fort mill, sc and Chula Vista , Ca

Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM

When WNY was losing 3,500 people a year they considered that brain drain
now it's up to losing 5,200 long term residents a year and they considered that a slight population loss, but they clam 4,000 refugees from other countries came every year , when there is no way to track or get accurate number, 4,000/year is the max number the census will let Erie county use.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
When WNY was losing 3,500 people a year they considered that brain drain
now it's up to losing 5,200 long term residents a year and they considered that a slight population loss, but they clam 4,000 refugees from other countries came every year , when there is no way to track or get accurate number, 4,000/year is the max number the census will let Erie county use.
Again, Catholic Charities is likely to track how many refugees are in the area, as they and likely similar organizations have a hand in how they get to the area.

This series may help: refugees | Innovation Trail

Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM

44 posts, read 62,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Nope, the only thing I miss about WNY is my family. I get to see them less, now that I am in Texas.

Strong economy, good pay, own a nice house that is going up in value every year. No state income tax. Nice weather most of the year, the city I live in offers the residents a ton of recreation, and services. My property tax is probably 40 percent less than what I paid in West Seneca near south bufalo.
Yeah, I think it just depends on what you like in a city. For many the qualities of fast-growing cities are much more exciting. It's natural to want to be in an environment people want to be in, along with the added benefits you might get from living there (low taxes, good weather, etc). For people who enjoy that the allure usually doesn't fade.

Quote:
Everyday I see more & most posts on Facebook about people that have left or in the process of leaving WNY. A lot them are moving to where their kids are or friends are. Wait to the 2015, 2016 census's. come out Population loses are going to be enormous.
I'm trying to find one post where you use proper grammar. Don't think I'll have success.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbuns View Post
Yeah, I think it just depends on what you like in a city. For many the qualities of fast-growing cities are much more exciting. It's natural to want to be in an environment people want to be in, along with the added benefits you might get from living there (low taxes, good weather, etc). For people who enjoy that the allure usually doesn't fade.

I'm trying to find one post where you use proper grammar. Don't think I'll have success.

It's because of all the lousy over paid teachers in WNY and they don't give a crap about teaching,
all they care about is getting to top tier and getting $100,000+ salaries & 100,000+ pensions
and they only got the job because they are related to someone or know someone on the school board

Old 08-06-2016, 06:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
It's because of all the lousy over paid teachers in WNY and they don't give a crap about teaching,
all they care about is getting to top tier and getting $100,000+ salaries & 100,000+ pensions
and they only got the job because they are related to someone or know someone on the school board
You sound more and more like a candidate every day. How about a school board slot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area