Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 02:03 AM

101 posts, read 126,444 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post to stress to people heading into Niagara Falls state park as someone who has gone there a million times and knows the park well ..... The park is generally safe during the day, but my personal advice is be very careful in the state park and the area around Niagara Falls at night. After 11 or 12, I would not recommend being in the park that late, and especially not in the goat island area, or the south half of the park where there are usually no people around, and no video surveillance.

There were people who got robbed in the park at around after 11 on three sisters island heading into Goat Island, and another robbery occurred on Goat Island and this was at 6pm. I assume the 6pm one happened in one of the more secluded areas of the island, and there are plenty. This incident was related to playing Pokemon Go, but there have been three other robberies since Memorial day.

Even during the day time, there are a lot of shady characters in the park, and Niagara Falls in general is not a safe area that late at night, especially on goat island or three sisters islands, and parts of the downtown area late at night are questionable. If you are going to be in the park later, i'd recommend staying closer to the main park area overlooking Canada by prospect point where there's surveillance video. There is no video on Goat Island or Three Sisters Island.

Falls State Park Police IMO, do a decent job protecting the park, but the park covers a lot of ground, and they cannot be everywhere, especially late at night.

Falls at night for fireworks and light displays can be quite a show, I'd recommend visiting, but please use common sense, and do not go on excursions in the park at 2 am, i've gone there a million times, and you're only asking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,367,401 times
Thank you for that information. I am visiting from Chicago this weekend.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 9,044 times
After coming back to the goat island parking with some out of town friends around midnight, was greeted by some characters who were startled by our presence and inquired "where the shops at, they still open?". Fortunately had strength in numbers.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,690,107 times
My wife and I are headed there later this month and will be back at the hotel by 11:00 pm. Are these characters in groups or solo or both? If we stay in touristy areas should we be okay? I'm a retired law enforcement officer with a pistol permit, but I'd like to avoid a confrontation.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area