Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM

25 posts, read 39,815 times

Advertisements

My family has become intrigued with the Chautauqua-Institution.

The nine of us together (two generations) can probably afford a house inside the Institution, and I, as the oldest sister would envision that in in winter I would be able to live in the house and write (husband and I are retired), and in the summer have a terrific spot for family vacations. (I know it's pretty expensive--but we have all worked really hard all of our lives, and are fortunate to be able to afford it, together. Certainly did not grow up in wealth. And, we get along well.)

Any wisdom about the area after all the temporary people leave at the end of August? Are the streets inside the Institution plowed in the winter.

And, my husband has Parkinson's, so good medical care is a must for us.

Also what about ethnic diversity, which we would hope to find?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 PM

821 posts, read 754,006 times
No matter where you are in Western New York, you will get plenty of snow. I can't speak for the Chautauqua Institution specifically, but generally Western New York roads are plowed very well, except for Buffalo. Of course, a heavy lake effect snow event will cause hazardous road conditions anywhere, and Chautauqua County can get some bad lake effect snowstorms.

As far as diveristy goes, there isn't a whole lot of it. The town Chautauqua Institute is located in is 92% non-hispanic white.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:21 AM

92,329 posts, read 122,573,532 times
In terms of ethnic diversity, your best bets in that area will be Jamestown and Dunkirk, with Silver Creek and Gowanda having substantial Native American student populations in their schools due to nearby reservations. Erie PA isn't too far away either.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 AM

969 posts, read 2,062,435 times
Sounds exciting the prospect of living there. I've seen few more idyllic settings than that tree-lined pedestrian village of old Victorian homes with large families gathered on their large porches.

I've been there in the winter only once for a horse sleigh ride (annual event around Christmas). I'd bet the roads in there are plowed very well in winter, despite there being few living there, just because it's Chautauqua. In fact they probably don't salt the roads to death like everywhere else (I think that would be good). Would be best to speak with someone that already is living there full time. I'd expect a realtor would help you there.

Winter there would be very quiet and beautiful I think, very close to the heavy snowbelt, the Chautauqua ridge (that area gets the whitest snow I've seen). Nearby Mayville is actually pretty lively in the winter with snow/ice sports & events. Living there to see the seasons change would be very appealing I think, especially winter to spring.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:10 AM

821 posts, read 754,006 times
Agreed. Your best bet is to talk with a realtor. From what I've seen of the Chautauqua Institution, I'm sure you will really enjoy it!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:04 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,308,321 times
Actually, instead of contacting a realtor, your first contact might be the Chautauqua Property Owners Association CPOA

My CI experience is from 20 yrs. ago and, I'm sure, things have changed.

CI is not in the primary lake effect snow belt area (which is along the escarpment...ancient shore of Lake Erie); esp. the area between Brocton & Cassadaga. CI is on the leeward (down wind, sheltered, east) side of a hill from prevailing west winds. It's also a fairly sheltered area (trees & buildings) so snow drifting is relatively minor (compared to what one sees along the Lake Erie shore).

CI has few roads and fewer roads open to vehicles. Snowshoes aren't a horrible idea for if there's a heavy snowfall. Cross-country skis don't work so well because there aren't a whole lot of straight, level places that get one to where one might want to go (unless one is just exercising). Noise pollution is prohibited (that covers most things). Light pollution is well regulated.

There is onsite medical facility & pharmacy but I don't remember ever using them. I did get a cut stitched-up at the Atheneum (one of the few times I went inside, lol). Westfield Hospital is the nearest. My son was born there. I think it's a fine facility.

If CI wasn't so isolated (ie. closer to Buffalo or Rochester) I'd be living there now.

[Edit: oh, ethnic diversity... "What do you mean? Why do you ask? No one will notice. No one cares." That's the prevailing attitude you'll find at CI. CI represents ideals that preclude such things. One shouldn't bring up such things with the locals...it's in very poor taste.]

Last edited by James1202; 09-28-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 10:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,864,952 times
I would live on Chautauqua in a second except for the snow and remote location. I definitely recommend the lake as a vacation spot.

You will be moving to the snowbelt. I once got snowed in and couldn't leave on a Sunday at Chautauqua. Mayville averages over 100 inches of snow a year...here is a link to a chart. http://www.villageofmayville.com/pdf...0to%202015.pdf Take into account that the region is currently undergoing a rare drought so do not judge the current conditions as the norm.

The institute and almost all businesses slow way down once the tourist season is over. The nearest semi-real shopping will be in Jamestown and the best/major shopping in Erie or Buffalo. Major hospitals will be found in Erie, Buffalo, or Cleveland.

If you love snow, then it will be a paradise for you. There are two ski resorts close by, snowmobiling is popular, and ice fishing for winter activities.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 AM

25 posts, read 39,815 times
Thanks for the recent replies. They are making CI sound very very interesting. Just have to be sure the other 8 are as much on board as I am...

And, in answer to James 1202's question. When a family of 8, almost all African-American, buy property in an enclave community like CI we , with our presence, make the ethnicity question relevant. We've, from time to time, had the experience of knowing that one or more of us were not welcome, and it's an experience we'd not be eager to repeat. So unfortunately, we haven't yet, as a nation, reached the point where the question is unimportant to us.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:35 PM

92,329 posts, read 122,573,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenPB View Post
Thanks for the recent replies. They are making CI sound very very interesting. Just have to be sure the other 8 are as much on board as I am...

And, in answer to James 1202's question. When a family of 8, almost all African-American, buy property in an enclave community like CI we , with our presence, make the ethnicity question relevant. We've, from time to time, had the experience of knowing that one or more of us were not welcome, and it's an experience we'd not be eager to repeat. So unfortunately, we haven't yet, as a nation, reached the point where the question is unimportant to us.
In this case, Jamestown and Dunkirk will be the closest communities with a visible African American community. You'll find places of worship out of the African American tradition, maybe a few businesses, a historic organization in both, I believe both have a Juneteenth festival, some sports at both high schools have an ethnic mix of players, etc. Both also have substantial/high Puerto Rican populations as well.

Erie PA, about 45 minutes away, is about 16-17% Black and of course Buffalo is about an hour+ away for bigger cities with bigger Black populations.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I would live on Chautauqua in a second except for the snow and remote location. I definitely recommend the lake as a vacation spot.

You will be moving to the snowbelt. I once got snowed in and couldn't leave on a Sunday at Chautauqua. Mayville averages over 100 inches of snow a year...here is a link to a chart. http://www.villageofmayville.com/pdf...0to%202015.pdf Take into account that the region is currently undergoing a rare drought so do not judge the current conditions as the norm.

The institute and almost all businesses slow way down once the tourist season is over. The nearest semi-real shopping will be in Jamestown and the best/major shopping in Erie or Buffalo. Major hospitals will be found in Erie, Buffalo, or Cleveland.

If you love snow, then it will be a paradise for you. There are two ski resorts close by, snowmobiling is popular, and ice fishing for winter activities.
I totally agree with the above post. Before I moved to San Antonio 8 1/2 years ago I lived on Chautauqua Lake almost directly across from CI. Having gone in to CI many times during the winter the roads can be hard to get around. Since most of the residence don't live there full time plowing can be sporadic. If you like quiet, the winter in CI is just that. When the "season" starts in the summer, it can be very crowded. The fall is a beautiful time. There are many beautiful homes not only in CI but all around the lake. Hope you find something that you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area