Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:13 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,776,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
We are flying to Concord, New Hampshire next week to visit relatives, then renting a car and doing a road trip to Niagra Falls. Years ago you didn't need a passport but from reading all the comments I guess you do now. So a certified birth certificate won't work? If not, I am fine with the U.S. side. It was gorgeous as I remember.

My other question is what is the ez pass. I am assuming there are many toll places on this road trip we plan on doing. If we don't have one, how much money should we have on hand? We don't have that type of thing in Utah, so not familiar with it.

Just want to know before we leave.
From New Hampshire, you actually can drive and get on Rt. 20 and go all the way to Buffalo (goes from Boston to Buffalo, then turns south). And? This is no Thruway. You get to see the state and don't have to pay for the privilege of the Thruway. Same with Rt. 5. If you want speed, its the Thruway and tolls. If you plan on all Thruway, check into ezpass. Personally, we avoid the Thruway... much nicer to see the place, not an expressway.

Going to Canada means an enhanced license/state ID good only if you drive, boat, or train. It does nothing for flying out of the country. If you have a passport, you can do Canada -- but read the govt. pages about visiting Canada for the best info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:19 PM

536 posts, read 635,512 times
Niagara Falls isn't nearly as nice to visit if you're only staying on the US side. The Canadian side is where the good views are. The Maid of the Mist boat is great, but you won't get a great close-up view of the falls because of the huge amount of mist/spray making it hard to see.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:47 PM

729 posts, read 524,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Niagara Falls isn't nearly as nice to visit if you're only staying on the US side. The Canadian side is where the good views are. The Maid of the Mist boat is great, but you won't get a great close-up view of the falls because of the huge amount of mist/spray making it hard to see.
The Canadian side is much cleaner than the US side.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,692,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
My wife and I are only going to be there for a couple of days. If you had to recommend a "must see" spot or sight or two, which would they be?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

92,184 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
My wife and I are only going to be there for a couple of days. If you had to recommend a "must see" spot or sight or two, which would they be?

Thanks.
Actually, Lewiston may be another option and it is just north of the city of Niagara Falls. Fort Niagara in Youngstown, which is north of Lewiston, may be another option. Welcome to Old Fort Niagara

Historic Lewiston, New York

More here: http://www.niagarariverregion.com/

Niagara Falls | Hotels, Events, Restaurants and Things to Do

Old Falls Street | Niagara Falls, NY
Event Calendar | Old Falls Street

Another idea just east of NF in Lockport: Lockport Locks & Erie Canal Cruises

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-09-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 08:45 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,776,372 times
I would add the state park on the NY side of the falls.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:05 PM

92,184 posts, read 122,439,279 times
This may be another possibility nearby: Home - olcottnewfane

Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,692,511 times
Thanks folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area