Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM

821 posts, read 751,807 times

Advertisements

The Buffalo MSA encompasses only 2 counties, with 1,567 square miles. In contrast, the Rochester MSA contains 6 counties and 2,930 square miles. Most MSA's Buffalo's size have more than two counties. My question therefore, is why are there only two counties in the MSA? Would it ever annex Wyoming
County or another county in Western New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:39 PM

I just looked up some commuting data- 18.1% of Wyoming County workers commute to Erie or Niagara counties. Another 11.2% commute to the Rochester metro area.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:22 PM

92,011 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
I just looked up some commuting data- 18.1% of Wyoming County workers commute to Erie or Niagara counties. Another 11.2% commute to the Rochester metro area.
In order for a county to be a part of a metro area, it needs to have 25% of its workers commuting to the central county/counties in that area. For it to be in the Combined Statistical area, I believe the percentage has to be 15%, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 AM

729 posts, read 522,565 times
Quote:
Would it ever annex Wyoming County or another county in Western New York?
Unlike here in Texas and many other southern/western states, New York State (NYS) has no concept of "annexation". Unlike most states, NYS does have the concept of Towns, Hamlets, and many other unique groupings not found in most states. The boundaries of cities , towns, counties and other groupings are defined by Albany. In effect, Buffalo has no mechanism to do any annexing.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:08 AM

Here in Texas you are either a city or unincorporated. No in-between. Texline has somewhere around 530 people. But still a city.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Unlike here in Texas and many other southern/western states, New York State (NYS) has no concept of "annexation". Unlike most states, NYS does have the concept of Towns, Hamlets, and many other unique groupings not found in most states. The boundaries of cities , towns, counties and other groupings are defined by Albany. In effect, Buffalo has no mechanism to do any annexing.
Annexing is different from metro area qualifications. Incorporation of towns has an impact on city annexation and this common for Northeastern states, in general.

Metro area requirements of at least 25% of a county commuting to the central city/county is the key for other counties to join a metro area. So, employment actually plays a part in this. For instance, when New Venture Gear/Chrysler was still going in DeWitt just outside of Syracuse, it used to get quite a few employees from Auburn in Cayuga County. This is due to Auburn once having a New Venture/Chrysler plant and when it closed, they transferred to the Syracuse facility. Cayuga County was a part if the Syracuse MSA up until the 2010 census or so. Ironically(or not), when the then Magna plant closed around 2012 or so, Cayuga County left the Syracuse MSA, became a Micropolitan Area and is now only a part of the Syracuse CSA(Combined Statistical Area).

Old 08-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Good information! I also understood annexing is different from metro area qualifications. That is why I only quoted the annexation sentence of the original poster.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Personally, i don't think Buffalo will ever have any other county included in the MSA. The metro area is just too compact.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Personally, i don't think Buffalo will ever have any other county included in the MSA. The metro area is just too compact.
It will depend on if there is enough economic development in order to have people from other counties commute into the area. Also, this says that the metro sq mileage is 2367: Buffalo, Niagara Falls Metro Area - USA.comâ„¢

Old 08-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It will depend on if there is enough economic development in order to have people from other counties commute into the area. Also, this says that the metro sq mileage is 2367: Buffalo, Niagara Falls Metro Area - USA.comâ„¢
I believe that 2367 number includes the water area. This website says the land area is 1565 square miles.

On another note, is there a significant commuting population between Buffalo and Canada? Would that ever be included in Buffalo's MSA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area