Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:03 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
WNY has been losing population every single year for the last 45 years, so it isn't just us
and it's no secret that the whole world knows that Upstate NY's economy is horrendous.
The whole world? I guess you don't read what is going on through the info provided on here, huh?

Also, hasn't the metro population actually stabilized in recent years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 PM

821 posts, read 760,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The whole world? I guess you don't read what is going on through the info provided on here, huh?

Also, hasn't the metro population actually stabilized in recent years?
It has been estimated that the metro population has stuck around 1,135,000 since 2010.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:16 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
WNY has been losing population every single year for the last 45 years, so it isn't just us
and it's no secret that the whole world knows that Upstate NY's economy is horrendous.

Not true. Rochester has always shown a slow and steady population gain. Albany too. I believe Syracuse has held it's own as well.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 PM

255 posts, read 235,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
It has been estimated that the metro population has stuck around 1,135,000 since 2010.

Keep living in your delusion world.

5,256 longtime residents left WNY Last year alone. and then they try to use immigrants
from different country's that came to WNY to lessen the yearly population loses, but their is no way to tract or verify how many immigrants actually came and the US Census caught it.

Buffalo metro area shows slight population loss in new Census estimate - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Old 09-12-2016, 08:42 PM

255 posts, read 235,814 times
Quote:

5,256 longtime residents left WNY Last year alone. and then they try to use immigrants
from different country's that came to WNY to lessen the yearly population loses, but their is no way to tract or verify how many immigrants actually came and the US Census caught it.

Buffalo metro area shows slight population loss in new Census estimate - City & Region - The Buffalo News
Why did they just close 10 hospitals, 100's of Schools, Church's, Fire houses, Stores and everything in between and even are now downgrading expressways into parkways etc...,

Old 09-12-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:

You do know that estimates were off prior to the 2010 census. So, I would be leery until the 2020 census comes out.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 AM

821 posts, read 760,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do know that estimates were off prior to the 2010 census. So, I would be leery until the 2020 census comes out.
Exactly. The census estimates prior to 2010 were often underestimated.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
Quote:
Food stamps are most of their business after all, Buffalo NY is 3rd or 4th poorest city in the country
and more then half of it's population lives below poverty level.

You clearly don't understand the demographics of the areas where Wegmans stores are located. The overwhelming majority of the WNY locations are in the middle-class & upper middle-class suburbs. I'd hazard a guess that less than 10% of their sales are from food stamp customers, not that it matters.

Your perception of WNY is clearly based on personal bitterness and is pathetically flawed. And for all of the problems in the city itself, you might be surprised to see the rebirth that is currently taking place. I, for one, am glad you aren't here to see it!

Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
I've lived here my whole life - but am leaving as soon as wee can retire. My one son is already in Alabama. As much as I love what NY has to offer - it's just getting too expensive. Schools closing and my school taxes almost match my county taxes - they use to be less than half. Downstate deciding what's best for the rest of the state. Gun laws promoted by corrupt politicians.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I've lived here my whole life - but am leaving as soon as wee can retire. My one son is already in Alabama. As much as I love what NY has to offer - it's just getting too expensive. Schools closing and my school taxes almost match my county taxes - they use to be less than half. Downstate deciding what's best for the rest of the state. Gun laws promoted by corrupt politicians.
I don't know if it is so much that it is getting expensive in comparison to most other areas, but if you are going to retire, taxes may be an issue. You do get an Enhanced STAR exemption at age 65 and grieving your assessment is a possibility, but it may be a matter of if you think it is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area