Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM

255 posts, read 235,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I've lived here my whole life - but am leaving as soon as wee can retire. My one son is already in Alabama. As much as I love what NY has to offer - it's just getting too expensive. Schools closing and my school taxes almost match my county taxes - they use to be less than half. Downstate deciding what's best for the rest of the state. Gun laws promoted by corrupt politicians.
Your not alone, go to your Facebook friends & twitter accounts, you'll see lots of them are in the process of leaving WNY too, many have already put their property's up for sale and some are fixing up & painting their homes & preparing to sell them. Most say the reason is, it's getting to expensive live in WNY too and don't see things changing for the better in their life time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:46 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I'm not getting the "its too expensive" narrative, given that the overall COL in the area is on par with or even lower than many Southern areas. Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not getting the "its too expensive" narrative, given that the overall COL in the area is on par with or even lower than many Southern areas. Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in
All Political Propaganda pay by local & state lobbyist's. COL is so low in WNY that's why
it has been bleeding & losing population after single year for the last 45 years and it's speeding up
every year. Last year alone, WNY lost 5,236 long term residents in just ONE YEAR and most of Buffalo NY looks like a zombie apocalypse has happened or it's a third world country, > For more details, Go to The Real Buffalo NY Thread

Last edited by TanLegs; 09-20-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
All Political Propaganda pay by local & state lobbyist's. COL is so low in WNY that's why
it has been bleeding & losing population after single year for the last 45 years and it's speeding up
every year. Last year alone, WNY lost 5,236 long term residents in just ONE YEAR
Again, that is likely an estimate and doesn't say anything about those that may have moved to the area. People may move due to retirement or their skills/education do not match what is available in the area's job market.

I believe that the population loss has slowed down as well.

With this said, it doesn't change the fact about the area's overall COL being below/around the national average. It doesn't have anything to do with political propaganda, but about home prices, which make up about 30% of overall costs. That is the biggest portion in terms of cost of living.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Again, that is likely an estimate and doesn't say anything about those that may have moved to the area. People may move due to retirement or their skills/education do not match what is available in the area's job market.

I believe that the population loss has slowed down as well.

With this said, it doesn't change the fact about the area's overall COL being below/around the national average. It doesn't have anything to do with political propaganda, but about home prices, which make up about 30% of overall costs. That is the biggest portion in terms of cost of living.

home prices, which make up about 30% of overall costs. That is the biggest portion in terms of cost of living

know I get it
You can buy a house for $1.00 in the City of Buffalo and their's 1,000's & 1,000's of them

Abandoned Homes In Buffalo, N.Y. Selling For $1 | Here & Now

Old 09-21-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
home prices, which make up about 30% of overall costs. That is the biggest portion in terms of cost of living

know I get it
You can buy a house for $1.00 in the City of Buffalo and their's 1,000's & 1,000's of them

Abandoned Homes In Buffalo, N.Y. Selling For $1 | Here & Now
You can buy such homes in many places. That isn't the median home price in the area though.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 AM

Let's see you have the $1.00 dollars houses, Lots of $50,000 1950's 750sqft cape cods in the suburbs and then you have $350,000 mc mansion's in Clarence, Orchard Park, Lancaster, that are owned by Town, County & State government workers and that's how they come up with the median home price

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Let's see you have the $1.00 dollars houses, Lots of $50,000 1950's 750sqft cape cods in the suburbs and then you have $350,000 mc mansion's in Clarence, Orchard Park, Lancaster, that are owned by Town, County & State government workers and that's how they come up with the median home price
No, it doesn't work like that and you have quite a bit in between.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't work like that and you have quite a bit in between.

It works like that in WNY, WNY's Economy is 99%, The people providing the service's & the people receiving the service's (that don't pay taxes)

Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It works like that in WNY, WNY's Economy is 99%, The people providing the service's & the people receiving the service's (that don't pay taxes)
That's not it either......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area