Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,233 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Grand Island, NY so we can be closer to our family across the border in Toronto. We are moving from Scottsdale, AZ. We love Scottsdale but desperately miss our family. What should we expect about life on Grand Island? What are the pros and cons of life there? Are the winters really as bad as everyone says? Are new comers easily accepted in the community? What is there to do for teenagers? I would really appreciate hearing from Grand Island residents.
Thank you in advance.
Hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 06:57 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Just a question, but is Grand Island the only place that you are considering? I only ask, because areas like the Lewiston-Porter and Niagara-Wheatfield that are suburbs of Niagara Falls may actually be easier in terms of getting to family in Toronto. Plus, Grand Island has tolls in order to get on and off of the island. That may be something to consider.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:59 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
Whether winter is good or bad depends on you, it's not an absolute. But if you like AZ, you'll probably not like winter here. If you're seeking to avoid snow, I'd recommend further north towards Lewiston. The snow accumulation is significantly lower as you go north.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:38 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
Agree that if you want to be closer to Toronto, the Lewiston area is probably better suited than the island.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 PM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
From people that live on the island, I hear the traffic is the worst part of living on Grand Island. You have to cross through the tolls everyday, and if there is an accident on the bridges on and off the island, the traffic can be miserable. An improved infrastructure could really help Grand Island.

However, people that live there cope with that and they love it there. Generally, Grand Island is spared the heaviest snow, that usually stays south of the 90. But lake effect snow is notoriously variable and can hit anywhere in the metro area. Residents of the suburbs of Buffalo like Grand Island have mostly lived on the same street and in the same house for years. Most people who live here grew up here. That being said, I don't know anybody that hasn't been accepted in their community upon first arriving. Plus, Grand Island has some really nice homes, many of which are new or have been built recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area