Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:22 AM

17 posts, read 15,592 times

Advertisements

I know there's a lot of other forum's out there in regards to relocating back to Buffalo and finding work but I just wanted to start my own forum in regards to my situation and I wanted outside feedback.

After graduating from UB with an engineering degree back in 2010, my girlfriend (now wife), who also graduated from Buffalo State with her teaching degree, and I both moved to Greenville, N.C., with her getting a job first, to experience something new in a new place. Small rural area that was extreme culture shock. I eventually got a job as a project engineer after four months of moving and have held that position until we decided to move once again in 2013. This time somewhere where it wasn't as rural, Charleston, S.C. Much better!!! Again, with her getting a job first. I eventually got a job as a project designer and then left that position for another designer job within two years. The job market down here isn't that bad, as I've gotten two different positions within two years. There was no gap in between as I just kept my options open, i.e., money.

In total I've gained approximately 5 1/2 years project engineering and design experience in various industries and my wife has gained over 6 years of teaching experience.

A couple of the reason's why we moved right after college was the weather and the job market, but have recently thought about moving back up. Which brings me to my question. How's the job market in Buffalo looking like now? Does anyone know what it looks like in the engineering field? We both already know how the job market is for teachers (Got to love those unions!). We've seen, through visiting, and heard of all the stuff that has happened in Buffalo, i.e., UB's new medical campus in downtown, Harbor Center, and Solar City, and think the area is rebounding nicely.

We're the only one's in our family that have moved out of state and all of our family is back up there. I'm just gauging to see how difficult it would be to find a job. People that I know are either gone from the area or are not in the engineering field, so I have no connections I can work with. I know that many companies are looking for local hires and that I have to make it known that I will be moving back and I will not leave just because of the area. I still have my local phone number that I can use as well as various addresses I can use to make it appear that I am physically in the area.

Any comments are very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 AM

92,405 posts, read 122,662,773 times
What kind of engineering/designer jobs are you looking for?

This may help: Project Engineer jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 AM

17 posts, read 15,592 times
Probably something in product design and manufacturing. Using 2D and/or 3D design software. Worked in design that involves sheet metal fabrication. Worked for government contractors. I'm pretty much looking for anything that involved product design and fabrication.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 AM

36,975 posts, read 38,986,608 times
Did you look for listings on Monster and reach out to prospects on LinkedIn? That's generally a good idea.

Also, if part of the draw is to be closer to family, then maybe Rochester might make sense in your search as well.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Seeing this may help: Moog plans $12 million expansion in Elma, adding 100 jobs in 5 years - The Buffalo News

Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 AM

177 posts, read 161,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thats 20 jobs a year, Buffalo & WNY desperately needs 10'000s of new jobs like what is going on in the rest of the country such as Intel building a 7 Billion Plant in Arizona creating 13,000 new high wage jobs
https://nyti.ms/2k4Y2fJ

Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,233,201 times
We like it here, even it's only twenty jobs ok.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
We like it here, even it's only twenty jobs ok.
Not only that, but it will be interesting to see if they actually create that many jobs.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,420,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What kind of engineering/designer jobs are you looking for?

This may help: Project Engineer jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile
SolarCity jobs listed on their corporate site for the Buffalo facility:

Join Our Team | SolarCity Operations Careers

Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,922,412 times
/\

They were all posted last year I would hope they have filled them by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area