Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,867,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Utah in general may be strongly influenced by the LDS Church. This is not the case with Salt Lake City, however. Salt Lake City currently has an openly lesbian mayor. I can assure you that would not be the case if the city were "literally majority controlled by the LDS."
A friend of mine worked for the Deseret News (owned by LDS) when he lived there and said that they own almost the entire downtown SLC area, including the new multi$Billion mall they just built downtown.

How the Mormons Make Money - Bloomberg

My only point was in making the comparison to the Devos and Van Andel families in Grand Rapids, who don't own as much property downtown as people think they do. If you're not familiar with this area then it probably doesn't matter to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
well, let's put it this way. Rochester over the last 10 years just had it's historically 3 big employers either go bankrupt (Kodak), get bought out and downsize (Bausch and Lomb), and sell of divisions (Xerox), yet somehow the economy still did grow here. Tell me any metro that could possibly have positive growth under those circumstances, yet Rochester managed to somehow do it. With the Photonics institute, RIT's major investments in Magic Studios and renewable energy, UofR's major investments in laser research and big data research, along with Eastman Business Park's focus, I think you'll see that downward trend reversed here. The bottom is in.
I don't believe that Rochester has returned to its peak employment level, which was around the year 2000.

Rochester : New York?New Jersey Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You can click on the little green graph symbols and see historic numbers.

Graph looks like this for 1996 - 2016:

Upstate NY, from my perspective, seems to be struggling like Northern Ohio cities (Cleveland and Toledo) and like a lot of smaller Michigan cities like Saginaw, Flint, etc.. It's almost unheard of for a METRO AREA to lose population in the U.S., except, those metro areas have. There's still a lot of flight from urban neighborhoods to the burbs in the U.S., but to lose people from your burbs is pretty, ummm, there's something systemic going on with the metro economy.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:09 AM

93,551 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You keep repeating Meijer, but Meijer is not at all affiliated with Amway or the Devos and Van Andel families.

Even Amway only accounts for about 4000 jobs in the GR area and their interests downtown (mostly hotels) only employ a couple thousand. Their names are on buildings like the Arena and the convention center and Children's Hospital, but technically the workers there do not work for the "Big Dutch Families." It's not like downtown Salt Lake City that is literally majority controlled by the LDS. So Amway and the Dutch families account for 5000 or 6000 workers out of 550,000 in the metro area. They certainly have done a lot to revitalize downtown but that doesn't account for the massive growth in the entire metro area's GMP (per the Buffalo Business Journal article).

Bissell has a relatively small presence in Grand Rapids now. Most of its manufacturing was moved to Mexico, but it still retains its HQ and R&D facility here. They maybe have 500 employees here now, tops.

Here are the top employers in the GR MSA (or West Michigan as it's called frequently):

Advancing The West Michigan Economy | The Right Place
I didn't say that Meijier is affiliated with either family or Amway, but it is a wealthy family due to it stores, with an influence in the area and is affiliated with the strong Dutch Reformed culture in the area. That was my point.

Even the list shows that Meijier is the second larger employer in the GR metro area. For those that may not be familiar with Meijier, it is essentially a Michigan(with some in OH and IN) form of Wal*Mart. I've been to couple of them in the past and I remember that the one in Okemos had a barbershop and was open 24 hours.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-11-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 AM

93,551 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
I don't believe that Rochester has returned to its peak employment level, which was around the year 2000.

Rochester : New York?New Jersey Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You can click on the little green graph symbols and see historic numbers.

Graph looks like this for 1996 - 2016:

Upstate NY, from my perspective, seems to be struggling like Northern Ohio cities (Cleveland and Toledo) and like a lot of smaller Michigan cities like Saginaw, Flint, etc.. It's almost unheard of for a METRO AREA to lose population in the U.S., except, those metro areas have. There's still a lot of flight from urban neighborhoods to the burbs in the U.S., but to lose people from your burbs is pretty, ummm, there's something systemic going on with the metro economy.
Actually, Rochester has never had a population loss in its metro area in an official census. I believe it is the same for the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, smaller areas like Ithaca, Glens Falls, Watertown-Fort Drum, with Syracuse pretty much holding steady(give or take). So, it will depend on the area.

Also, metro areas can gain or lose counties based upon commuter pattern interchange(at least 25% in order to stay and at least 15% to be a part of the Combined Statistical Area).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-11-2016 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,332,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You people are f*cking reading comprehension-challenged.

Read the original article.

I'll quote the relevant part of the rankings:

'• 53. Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY, has a gross metropolitan product of $56,456,000,000 (up 4.0% since 2010).

• 54. Rochester, NY, has a gross metropolitan product of $55,382,000,000 (up 0.8% since 2010).

• 55. Tulsa, OK, has a gross metropolitan product of $54,604,000,000 (up 16.3% since 2010).

• 56. Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI, has a gross metropolitan product of $53,949,000,000 (up 18.0% since 2010).

• 57. Baton Rouge, LA, has a gross metropolitan product of $53,689,000,000 (up 5.7% since 2010).

• 58. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY, has a gross metropolitan product of $51,120,000,000 (up 6.0% since 2010).'

Check back in 2020?
When you refer to "orignal article", to what are you referring? I see an article posted on 10/5/16 by G. Scott Thomas, Projects Editor 'Buffalo Business First'.

The data appears as:

"10 MAJOR MARKETS WITH STRONGEST GMP GROWTH RATES

[inflation-adjusted 2010-2015 rates]

• San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA, 36.0%

• Austin-Round Rock, TX, 28.1%

• San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX, 25.2%...."

and

"GMP GROWTH RATES IN SELECTED NORTHEAST AND MIDWEST MAJOR MARKETS

[inflation-adjusted 2010-2015 rates]

• Columbus, OH, 16.3%

• Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI, 13.3%

• Pittsburgh, PA, 12.4%..."

Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
A friend of mine worked for the Deseret News (owned by LDS) when he lived there and said that they own almost the entire downtown SLC area, including the new multi$Billion mall they just built downtown.

How the Mormons Make Money - Bloomberg

My only point was in making the comparison to the Devos and Van Andel families in Grand Rapids, who don't own as much property downtown as people think they do. If you're not familiar with this area then it probably doesn't matter to you.
Oh, I'm sorry. You were talking about property ownership. My bad!

Old 10-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I didn't say that Meijier is affiliated with either family or Amway, but it is a wealthy family due to it stores, with an influence in the area and is affiliated with the strong Dutch Reformed culture in the area. That was my point.

Even the list shows that Meijier is the second larger employer in the GR metro area. For those that may not be familiar with Meijier, it is essentially a Michigan(with some in OH and IN) form of Wal*Mart. I've been to couple of them in the past and I remember that the one in Okemos had a barbershop and was open 24 hours.
Ah. I guess I don't lump Meijer or Fred Meijer in with the typical Dutch Reformed, because he was an Atheist. And I don't think he saw eye to eye with the Amway families (he rarely appeared at the same events they did).

But yes he's of Dutch heritage and the family is very wealthy.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Rochester has never had a population loss in its metro area in an official census. I believe it is the same for the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, smaller areas like Ithaca, Glens Falls, Watertown-Fort Drum, with Syracuse pretty much holding steady(give or take). So, it will depend on the area.

Also, metro areas can gain or lose counties based upon commuter pattern interchange(at least 25% in order to stay and at least 15% to be a part of the Combined Statistical Area).
That is true. And yes Rochester MSA has gained population.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM

821 posts, read 762,240 times
Quote:
That is true. And yes Rochester MSA has gained population.
It is rather depressing that Buffalo and Pittsburgh are the only large metros to show a population decline for every census since 1970.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:19 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,079,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
It is rather depressing that Buffalo and Pittsburgh are the only large metros to show a population decline for every census since 1970.
I believe Cleveland also shares that distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area