Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,220,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Most postings speak poorly of the long term opportunities with the city, that's their posts not mine. I only stated that I don't put a lot of store in regional publications (regardless where they are) because they tend to paint a rosier picture then actually exists, you want to take them at their face value your welcome to it.
In 2005, hardly anyone lived downtown, and the waterfront was a sewer. While property values were rising in most of the US, they were going nowhere in Buffalo.

Now that can't build these downtown apartment conversions fast enough, and the waterfront is a nice place. Property values are rising in the good areas, and areas that you wouldn't be caught dead in in 2005 are rapidly improving. The medical industry is booming.

They are not making this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 04:37 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Same could be said for the negative as well. I do find it interesting how negative news is usual viewed as "keeping it real" or is taken at face value more so than positive news/information when it comes to certain areas.

To be honest, I think a lot of information given is done in a way that people are supposed to go along with it versus putting comparisons or information into context. For instance, many city comparisons never consider different laws for the cities that may allow things like annexing, which can "water down" certain aspects in a way cities that can't annex unincorporated land/neighborhoods. A lot of people aren't going to think about something like that, as they may not be aware of such laws or the lack thereof. This in conjunction with suburbanization of metro areas, are going to bring about different outcomes for cities. I also think this is why people use the metro area now, because the criteria is the same for all metros in terms of what counties are included in a metro area.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM

18,975 posts, read 16,808,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
In 2005, hardly anyone lived downtown, and the waterfront was a sewer. While property values were rising in most of the US, they were going nowhere in Buffalo.

Now that can't build these downtown apartment conversions fast enough, and the waterfront is a nice place. Property values are rising in the good areas, and areas that you wouldn't be caught dead in in 2005 are rapidly improving. The medical industry is booming.

They are not making this up.
I've made no posts about conditions in the city, the San Diego article pertained to the IT Industry not medical. What I have gleaned from what others post is the deplorable condition of the public school system in the city. This I can relate to because Richmond has the same problem, all this building going on, all these new apartments everyone likes the city living but the schools keep the middle class from moving in because they can't afford the mortgage and the private schools. Some like to post magnet/specialty options but as a parent you have to plan on what the assigned school is and not on what your child may get into if they are x% of whatever criteria . Without a solid middle class no city can succeed...

Old 11-07-2016, 06:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Nice try, San Diego is booming and growing as well as just about every city except for Buffalo NY

CBRE’s 2016 annual markets city's ranks & list in the U.S. and Canada just came out. Go down to the list's where CBRE ranks all the city's that are adding tech jobs, filling and adding office space etc... Buffalo is not even on one list. Even Detroit is doing better then Buffalo

Daily Business Report-Nov. 3, 2016, San Diego Metro Magazine
Check on the corruption at the mayor's office in San Diego

Old 11-07-2016, 06:09 PM

Yes the economy is better in San Diego that is a given, I'm talking about overall quality of life. You wanna pay $500 k out there for a new single family home and I'm not talking about condos. Ever try driving out there between 3:00 pm and 6:30.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I've made no posts about conditions in the city, the San Diego article pertained to the IT Industry not medical. What I have gleaned from what others post is the deplorable condition of the public school system in the city. This I can relate to because Richmond has the same problem, all this building going on, all these new apartments everyone likes the city living but the schools keep the middle class from moving in because they can't afford the mortgage and the private schools. Some like to post magnet/specialty options but as a parent you have to plan on what the assigned school is and not on what your child may get into if they are x% of whatever criteria . Without a solid middle class no city can succeed...
I think what may be a difference between Buffalo and Richmond is that outside of Buffalo being more affordable, in spite of the generalized issues of BPS, it at least has some "rays of hope" in terms of multiple magnet schools that are at least solid, along with multiple charter(no tuition) and private school options within the city of Buffalo. I think people may not think about other options due to just taking what is told to them in the media. That is if they want an urban environment.

I agree that there needs to be a solid middle class within the city or cities in general, but that is what you get when the government subsidizes suburbanization for so long, destroy neighborhoods through Urban Renewal and in some cases, can't annex, among other aspects.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:07 PM

18,975 posts, read 16,808,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think what may be a difference between Buffalo and Richmond is that outside of Buffalo being more affordable, in spite of the generalized issues of BPS, it at least has some "rays of hope" in terms of multiple magnet schools that are at least solid, along with multiple charter(no tuition) and private school options within the city of Buffalo. I think people may not think about other options due to just taking what is told to them in the media. That is if they want an urban environment.

I agree that there needs to be a solid middle class within the city or cities in general, but that is what you get when the government subsidizes suburbanization for so long, destroy neighborhoods through Urban Renewal and in some cases, can't annex, among other aspects.
You really seem to take a position that is always opposite of what I'm saying. Your "rays of hope" are a crock of "s**t" we have them also and when your child isn't selected because they failed to score above x% or you don't get selected in the attendance lottery then your stuck with garbage elementary, that's not a viable solution. People are aware of the options and those with money as always can do what they want but the average working person is rolling the dice and if they don't get what they want then their options are limited and most speak with their feet and move. This is one of the main reasons that the middle class strongholds remain in the suburbs.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:32 PM

177 posts, read 160,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Yes the economy is better in San Diego that is a given, I'm talking about overall quality of life. You wanna pay $500 k out there for a new single family home and I'm not talking about condos. Ever try driving out there between 3:00 pm and 6:30.
It's all about supply & demand, I rather pay $500K for a house that I can sell and get my money back or make a profit on, then pay $8,000, $10,000 or more a year in WNY Property Taxes that keeps going up $450, $500 or more every year. That's flushing thousands of dollars down the toilet every year and adds up year after year. That's why you can buy a house in Buffalo for 1 dollar. Also any area that is prosperous is going to have heavy traffic. Buffalo has no traffic anymore because most of it's industries & business's left and took all the jobs & people with them. If you watch Trump's speech's, He always saying that Upstate NY's economy is a disaster and it's bad, bad, bad and it's getting worst and worst, people are fleeing and fleeing out of Upstate NY

Last edited by Casey22; 11-08-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 05:39 PM

And more folks are leaving California because they can afford it.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You really seem to take a position that is always opposite of what I'm saying. Your "rays of hope" are a crock of "s**t" we have them also and when your child isn't selected because they failed to score above x% or you don't get selected in the attendance lottery then your stuck with garbage elementary, that's not a viable solution. People are aware of the options and those with money as always can do what they want but the average working person is rolling the dice and if they don't get what they want then their options are limited and most speak with their feet and move. This is one of the main reasons that the middle class strongholds remain in the suburbs.
No, my point is in comparison and isn't a point to "clap back", as the kids would say. For instance, I don't know if Richmond City Schools has 5/6 high schools in its district that have graduation rates close to or above the national and/or state percentage(Hutch Tech, DaVinci, City Honors, Emerson School of Hospitality, McKinley Vocational and I believe Arts High). There may be Olmsted(PS 64) as well. This doesn't get into charters such as Buffalo Academy of Science, Health Sciences, WNY Maritime, Oracle or Tapestry or privates such as Nichols, Canisius, Timon-St. Jude, Nardin and a few others just within city limits.

We've already gone over what people may or may not do in regards to where they live and in terms of education. So, I'm not going to go over that. Let alone this article: http://www.tsowell.com/speducat.html

I've already touched on why most of the middle class in a metro live in the suburbs and in all metros, most people live outside of the center city limits, in general. That is unless you are say Jacksonville FL, with maybes for El Paso, Toledo and Augusta GA.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-08-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area