Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 PM

290 posts, read 385,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Just to throw another option out there, if you don't mind an hour commute, you may look at Rochester for a job. About 20,000 people do this commute every day. I know that Five Star Bank is expanding downtown and adding about 200 headquarters jobs.
Was assuming Rochester was too far, but, yes will be looking there. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Rochester is 152 miles away and a hour & half away in good weather, it's double or more in snow & ice weather. Welcome to Buffalo, which is known for having the worst economy in the whole USA, decent & good jobs are very scarce,
I am finding quite a bit of job openings in my field, actually. What I am experiencing that I have never experienced before is the automatic denial a few days after applying...when the position is pretty on par to my field. M&T has absolutely zero interest in me, and I was at a loss as to why. I started researching salaries and they do not pay well. I am just going to assume they are seeing where I work and my background and maybe thinking it would be a waste of time. Who knows.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly and that is a second ring Eastern suburb of Rochester. It would also depend on where in the Buffalo area you are coming from as well.

OP, this may help as well: Accounting Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

Mortgage Servicing Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

Risk Management Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com
I am on Indeed and SimplyHired daily for those exact searches, and another search for "Finance".

I will be commuting from Hamburg, off of McKinnley. I am not going to try and commute to Rochester unless I really cannot find anything in Buffalo, and the pay is decent enough to make the commute worth it.

I was spoiled finding a damn good job in DC and then in Dallas. I thought my experience would benefit me..it seems to do the opposite. If I was looking for 30k i could find work easily Im seeing

Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 AM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
I am on Indeed and SimplyHired daily for those exact searches, and another search for "Finance".

I will be commuting from Hamburg, off of McKinnley. I am not going to try and commute to Rochester unless I really cannot find anything in Buffalo, and the pay is decent enough to make the commute worth it.

I was spoiled finding a damn good job in DC and then in Dallas. I thought my experience would benefit me..it seems to do the opposite. If I was looking for 30k i could find work easily Im seeing
Perhaps look into the Evans Bank listings, as it would be a short commute.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-24-2016 at 05:40 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 AM

19,004 posts, read 16,817,402 times
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Is there a company would that allow you to telecommute to work? My BIL lives in Charlotte and works for a company based in Chicago and does his work related travel from that location. For them it provides a much better QOL than living in the Chicago Metro.

If you consider the Rochester commute as some suggest you would be looking at about an 80 minute drive each way and $2.15 in tolls each way, commuting endurance is up to you for some this time is nothing but for others its a death sentence. Many have argued that a NYS Thruway is such high quality that the continued tolls are warranted, the rest of the country has them for free.

Does your fiancé's career have any flexibility on location? Just a thought...

Good Luck!

Last edited by VA Yankee; 11-25-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Is there a company would that allow you to telecommute to work? My BIL lives in Charlotte and works for a company based in Chicago and does his work related travel from that location. For them it provides a much better QOL than living in the Chicago Metro.

If you consider the Rochester commute as some suggest you would be looking at about an 80 minute drive each way and $2.15 in tolls each way, commuting endurance is up to you for some this time is nothing but for others its a death sentence. Many have argued that a NYS Thruway is such high quality that the continued tolls are warranted, the rest of the country has them for free.

Does your fiancé's career have any flexibility on location? Just a thought...

Good Luck!
I-90 has tolls in other states as well like Ohio and Indiana. Here is a list:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

Distance and time will depend on where you are and go to in each area.

Perhaps telecommuting is an option at companies in nearby areas as well.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 AM

And the OP is looking at a potential commute to Rochester, all the primary cities in Ohio/Indiana have multiple free interstates feeding into them so a commuter is not bound to the one and only highway that charges a toll.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
And the OP is looking at a potential commute to Rochester, all the primary cities in Ohio/Indiana have multiple free interstates feeding into them so a commuter is not bound to the one and only highway that charges a toll.
NY does as well, but that is another topic.

I would still look into colleges and follow up on the current submissions.

Here is a list of area colleges/universities/job listings, OP: Western New York | NY Colleges

SUNY Employment Opportunities - SUNY

Another potential option: Employment | The Park School of Buffalo

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-25-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 11:15 AM

And for a resident south of Buffalo there is only one interstate connection to Rochester but as you said that's another topic.

OP have you looked at the State of NY for employment, another BIL went from a career in banking/finance to being an auditor for the state and did not have to live in Albany. There may be opportunities that fit your skills.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
And for a resident south of Buffalo there is only one interstate connection to Rochester but as you said that's another topic.

OP have you looked at the State of NY for employment, another BIL went from a career in banking/finance to being an auditor for the state and did not have to live in Albany. There may be opportunities that fit your skills.
Good point about state jobs and there may be county opportunities as well: Job Opportunities | Erie County Civil Service Opportunities

I believe that residents can qualify for adjacent counties as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area