Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:30 PM

6,276 posts, read 4,771,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Show me any area in the Metroplex that looks like a zombie apocalypse has happened and has third world country conditions like most of Buffalo is and has and the apocalypse is growing and is spreading into the 1st ring suburbs, like Cheetowaga, but that doesn't matter because eveyone has Buffalo Love and were One Buffalo.
You have been watching Mad Max too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:18 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,237,106 times
This may be a reach, but may be worth a look: Hilbert Job Openings | Hilbert College

Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 PM

19,010 posts, read 16,833,648 times
/\

Five bucks says that they pay just above minimum on this one.....

Old 11-28-2016, 04:27 PM

811 posts, read 1,729,315 times
Buffalo tends to have a lot of low end finance operations job. I work in NYC, we do business with the Citi getzville location, and those kids are always messing up on trade settlements. It's amazing Citi keeps them hired as this will lead to people cutting off business when able to if this keeps up. Most people who start out in Buffalo get a few years experience then move out. And like you said, you'll probably expect more money than a local kid.

That said, with the development of automation and blockchain technologies, accounting and financial processing jobs will be on the chopping block in as soon as 3 years. Plan your career wisely.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Five bucks says that they pay just above minimum on this one.....
Hence, why I said that.

I'd say that the D'Youville and Park School positions seem to be more relevant and pay decent wages in comparison.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-28-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 AM

101 posts, read 126,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
Thank you!!! I am used to tolls, we have them on almost every highway in Dallas, and I used a tollway to get to and from work when living in the DC area. I am however not interested in an hour+ commute to Rochester not including weather, etc :/ So i have squashed that thought.

Fiance can't move, he visits client sites across NY and bordering states. So we decided it would be me, lucky me lol.

I havent really found any company yet that would allow me to telecommute. But still searching!

Here is the issue, jobs that sound like they pay 70k are really paying 40k. I talked to a recruiter at M&T, he says anything I applied to (13 postings!) pays a max of about 55k. I knew I may be looking at a pay cut, but 25k from what I make now??? I just cant. Not yet anyway. Not unless this continues and i am desperate.

I always tell people the same thing about Buffalo;

. One of the things one has to know about Western New York is that the way business is done here is more about who knows who, connections, networking and the competition will be stiff for the higher paying jobs....even in Rochester. Things are very political here in terms of job, and Buffalo and Rochester can be tough on outsiders. Buffalo is a place where everyone knows everyone, zero degrees of separation, it's a big small town and has generations of the same people...and this I believe also plays into the business and jobs culture here.

I work in healthcare as a Respiratory Therapist....completely different industry and field of course from banking, but I will be relocating this winter to Detroit, Mi to accept a full time job....something I have been unable to obtain here in my field...mostly I've only been able to get prn. But here, this is a smaller market, and our healthcare systems aren't aggressively expanding like some have been in the Detroit area that I am relocating to. Here there's been more downsizing and consolidation going on here, and the strong unionization doesn't help. My career is unionized here, and the positions often do not go to the best qualified, but are more based on seniority system which also sucks for me.

It is a fantastic place to visit, but as far as living here, well it's a great place to live......IF you can find a good job and especially if you have family or know people here already as Buffalo can be tough on transplants.

Buffalo is good for banking and finance, probably better than it is for healthcare, but as I said, there are fewer of those better paying jobs here, and a lot of competition for them, more importantly, competiting with some who already have roots and connections here. You probably will find a job, but will have to be very patient .

The region is better than what it has been a decade or two ago.....but we still have a lot of work to do as a community

Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,403 times
You definitely have to have connections. We moved back about 2 years ago after being downstate for 15 years. No luck until I tapped a friend from High School that helped pave a way for a position at HSBC for my wife. Several promotions later she now makes 50-60k. So you need a connection to get into a place, that's just the way it works here.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 AM

177 posts, read 160,658 times
600 more people just lost their Jobs, Ahold just closed to 2 warehouse's 1 in Cheektowga and 1 in Lancaster
The last people just were let go in September
Ahold USA leaving WNY, 600 jobs impacted - Story - WKBW

I have a friend who worked there, can't find a another job in WNY, His Wife & kids don't want to leave WNY because of
her parents & their friends, but they have a choice. Once they sell their house & his wife parents are selling there house too and they are both moving to Arizona , because it's booming there and he's already got several jobs offers there and in other states. But Arizona has the most jobs and more new jobs are being announced everyday like this new 700 Million auto plant with over 2,000 jobs was just announced
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...uto-plant.html

Old 11-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Perhaps something like this may help, OP: Jobs in Buffalo, NY at Robert Half Finance & Accounting

Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
600 more people just lost their Jobs, Ahold just closed to 2 warehouse's 1 in Cheektowga and 1 in Lancaster
The last people just were let go in September
Ahold USA leaving WNY, 600 jobs impacted - Story - WKBW

That happened nearly a year ago. If I remember correctly, it is mainly because they no longer own Tops and the chains they do own like Giant and Stop and Shop are in New England and the Mid Atlantic far from Buffalo. Made no sense to keep it open, nothing to do with business conditions in WNY.

Look I understand that sometimes WNY is overhyped, but it isn't as doom and gloom as you make it out to be. It's gone from rapid decline to stable; considering where it was when I left in the 1990's, that is an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area