Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:51 PM

290 posts, read 386,204 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone -

I am relocating to Buffalo from Dallas (getting married) and finding employment is proving harder than I had anticipated. I have a strong background in finance/accounting, mortgage servicing, investor reporting, and risk management. For the past 10 years I've worked for 2 of the biggest names in banking and mortgage. I have applied endlessly to M&T, HSBC, and Citi.. and with the exception of a pending Citi position, I am striking out.
Oddly enough, all of the positions that are pretty on par at M&T, I am getting the "thanks but no thanks" auto email a few days after my application is received. I spoke with one recruiter who thinks I may be over qualified and/or they are thinking that I'd ask for more money than they could come close to offering. I am already anticipating a pay cut, and am open to negotiations.. just getting so frustrated that I'm getting NO hits. I know the market there is quite different, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

I've also made it clear that I can move with 2-3 weeks notice, so nothing out of the standard notice to current employer time frame.

Does anyone have any leads? Suggestions of companies that may be looking for someone with my background? Or can put me in touch with anyone?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 07:19 PM

92,405 posts, read 122,695,779 times
Have you looked into area colleges? They have accounting and risk management departments. Benefits tend to be pretty good, particularly private colleges. Perhaps something like this: https://www.dyc.edu/about/administra...rtunities.aspx

Or this: https://www.dyc.edu/about/administra...rtunities.aspx

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-21-2016 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM

290 posts, read 386,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Have you looked into area colleges? They have accounting and risk management departments. Benefits tend to be pretty good, particularly private colleges. Perhaps something like this: https://www.dyc.edu/about/administra...rtunities.aspx

Or this: https://www.dyc.edu/about/administra...rtunities.aspx
I had not, other than University of Buffalo, but there were not many positions that fit me. I will take a look at those. Thank you!!

Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 AM

5,554 posts, read 4,000,652 times
Just to throw another option out there, if you don't mind an hour commute, you may look at Rochester for a job. About 20,000 people do this commute every day. I know that Five Star Bank is expanding downtown and adding about 200 headquarters jobs.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:37 AM

This may be another option: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/ap...=MP&lang=en_US

https://evansbank.com

Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 AM

177 posts, read 161,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Just to throw another option out there, if you don't mind an hour commute, you may look at Rochester for a job. About 20,000 people do this commute every day. I know that Five Star Bank is expanding downtown and adding about 200 headquarters jobs.
Rochester is 152 miles away and a hour & half away in good weather, it's double or more in snow & ice weather. Welcome to Buffalo, which is known for having the worst economy in the whole USA, decent & good jobs are very scarce,

Old 11-22-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Rochester is 152 miles away and a hour & half away in good weather, it's double or more in snow & ice weather. Welcome to Buffalo, which is known for having the worst economy in the whole USA, decent & good jobs are very scarce,
Buffalo is not 152 miles away from Rochester. Maybe round trip is what you meant and it isn't an hour and a half away. Syracuse to Rochester is about an hour and 15 minutes away and is only about 90 miles away.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM

177 posts, read 161,117 times
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
    Buffalo is not 152 miles away from Rochester. Maybe round trip is what you meant and it isn't an hour and a half away. Syracuse to Rochester is about an hour and 15 minutes away and is only about 90 miles away.
Here's Google & Yahoo Map's distance & eta Buffalo to Rochester one way

1 h 36 min (82.4 mi)
via I-490 E

1 h 17 min (76.4 mi)
via I-90 E and I-490 E
Directions

These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:22 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,233,201 times
Depends where in Rochester you are going. 152 mi trip to fairport maybe

Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Depends where in Rochester you are going. 152 mi trip to fairport maybe
Exactly and that is a second ring Eastern suburb of Rochester. It would also depend on where in the Buffalo area you are coming from as well.

OP, this may help as well: Accounting Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

Mortgage Servicing Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

Risk Management Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area