Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:07 PM

19,056 posts, read 16,872,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Unfortunately, this is still true. Part of this surely can be blamed on the ridiculously excessive taxes of NYS
They are a major factor for a lot of the negatives heaped on the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 PM

92,184 posts, read 122,439,279 times
It also doesn't hurt that Las Vegas is 135 square miles of land, while Buffalo is only 40 square miles. So, Vegas has more room to grow regardless of the type of growth each city is experiencing. Same thing when referring to Southern cities, as in some cases, their city limits have also expanded. That is something Buffalo or many other Northeastern cities can not do.

We've also have some reason to be cautious, given the last decade in regards to info in between the official censuses.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:40 PM

177 posts, read 160,838 times
In years 2008 to 2012 their was a national recession going on, Las Vegas just fully recovered just last year. I have a condo in Las Vegas that I bought in the recession for $55,000, It's now worth $300,000
But anyways, I live in Austin most of the year

Last edited by Casey22; 12-03-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
In years 2008 to 2012 their was a national recession going, Las vegas just fully recovered just last year
We know this, but in some cases, some these stats shouldn't be too surprising. Educational attainment was one of them.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 PM

969 posts, read 2,061,334 times
Vegas may have its problems but it ain't never done had a k-mart closed. So it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:10 PM

821 posts, read 753,144 times
Quote:
In years 2008 to 2012 their was a national recession going on, Las Vegas just fully recovered just last year. I have a condo in Las Vegas that I bought in the recession for $55,000, It's now worth $300,000
But anyways, I live in Austin most of the year
You know what? Good for you. I can't believe it appreciated that much, but real estate can defy logic

Old 12-03-2016, 09:26 PM

177 posts, read 160,838 times
Also Clark County NV's Population is about 2.5 Million & Erie County NY's Population is about 920,000
95% of the new strip is not in the City of Las Vegas, Also they are building a 2nd parrallel strip on the other side of I-15 on Valley View Blvd that will just about double the size of the current strip. There are several 8,000 10,000 or more homes master plan communties that just broke ground or are breaking soon in Summerlin, North Las Vegas, north of the new I-215 Freeway, Lake Las Vegas and Henderson.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Also Clark County NV's Population is about 2.5 Million & Erie County NY's Population is about 920,000
95% of the new strip is not in the City of Las Vegas, Also they are building a 2nd parrallel strip on the other side of I-15 on Valley View Blvd that will just about double the size of the current strip. There are several 8,000 10,000 or more homes master plan communties that just broke ground or are breaking soon in Summerlin, North Las Vegas, north of the new I-215 Freeway, Lake Las Vegas and Henderson.
A lot that growth while having some move for jobs in the LV area, a good portion is from retirees and immigrants as well. Why America needs immigrants (especially Nevada) - Monday, Feb. 8, 2016 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun Mobile

Older residents fuel Clark County population growth | Las Vegas Review-Journal

More: Las Vegas

Old 12-04-2016, 06:05 AM

19,056 posts, read 16,872,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It also doesn't hurt that Las Vegas is 135 square miles of land, while Buffalo is only 40 square miles. So, Vegas has more room to grow regardless of the type of growth each city is experiencing. Same thing when referring to Southern cities, as in some cases, their city limits have also expanded. That is something Buffalo or many other Northeastern cities can not do.

We've also have some reason to be cautious, given the last decade in regards to info in between the official censuses.
I have a hard time with the "room to grow" argument. Richmond likes to use that as a factor for failing to thrive but regardless of how much real estate you have what you are doing with it makes the difference. When you drive and see mile after mile of empty/abandoned buildings and lots that is not going to change if you are 40 or 135 square miles in area.

As we often see on these upstate boards posters like to use the areas MSA to justify their statistics which is unrealistic. Looking at the Buffalo MSA her area is in excess of 1500 sq miles and still reflects population loss over the 2010 - 2015 period so reflecting a larger area really doesn't change anything.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have a hard time with the "room to grow" argument. Richmond likes to use that as a factor for failing to thrive but regardless of how much real estate you have what you are doing with it makes the difference. When you drive and see mile after mile of empty/abandoned buildings and lots that is not going to change if you are 40 or 135 square miles in area.

As we often see on these upstate boards posters like to use the areas MSA to justify their statistics which is unrealistic. Looking at the Buffalo MSA her area is in excess of 1500 sq miles and still reflects population loss over the 2010 - 2015 period so reflecting a larger area really doesn't change anything.
The reason the MSA is used is because the criteria is the same regardless of the state or area, whereas using city figures can be affected by annexation or the lack there of. So, if Buffalo is 135 square miles, we likely have a different narrative of the city, even if the area that those square miles encompass stay the same. For instance, if Buffalo added adjacent towns/cities such as Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, Lackawanna and West Seneca, it would almost double Buffalo's population(would add about 76.4 square miles and 223,000 people) and would still be smaller than Las Vegas city limits.

I didn't add Amherst, which would add another 122,000 people or so, but would add another 53.2 square miles. If added, it would be about 35 square miles bigger than Las Vegas.

Now, it does come down to what you do with what you have, but there does have to be some proper perspective when comparing cities due to different factors that cities can work with as well. Buffalo is the only major/bigger Upstate metro that had an official population loss for the last official census, but the growth or change may not be seen in a short period of time.

Also, the counties were mentioned. Clark County has 7891 square miles of land versus Erie County, which has 1,043 square miles. So, again this puts the comparison into proper perspective. Clark County could fit the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse metro area land sizes combined and still have about 1000 square miles left over.

BTW, I thought that Richmond has been growing in terms of population within city limits in recent years. It may be a little different, as it is actually a smaller city in terms of land for a Southern city in relation to its metro area size/population(60.1 square miles). It would still be big for a Northern city in a similarly sized metro though(i.e.- Buffalo, Rochester, Hartford, Grand Rapids, etc.).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-04-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area