Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:54 PM

92,185 posts, read 122,439,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

You are never going to have an apples to apples comparison for any number of factors but to compare a 6 county region and all that's in it to one city is ridicules. Rochester has lost population and Monroe county contains over a dozen towns/villages who can say why they have experienced growth if any. Save the annexation argument, the city has plenty of real estate to develop without trying to annex other residents who don't want to live within its boundaries.
Re read the actual post again. I didn't compare the Rochester metro to the city of Buffalo. I said that Rochester is more white collar(which it is) and as a metro, it hasn't lost population in an official census(which it hasn't). So, what is the issue again? It was to note differences between the 2 cities/areas. Monroe County info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_County,_New_York

Municipalities in the county: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe...rk#Communities

Also, ask the many cities in the South and other regions why they have annexed quite a bit in recent decades/years.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-10-2017 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:59 PM

19,059 posts, read 16,872,593 times
Reread my post and all I was commenting on was "and as a metro, it has never lost population in an official census.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:22 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,318,985 times
Quote:
/\

. Rochester has lost population and Monroe county contains over a dozen towns/villages who can say why they have experienced growth if any.
Get the heck out of here. Every single suburb within 20 miles of the city except 1 has grown over the last 20 years and the growth far exceeds the population loss of the city. you can ignore the 6 county region if you want. Just focus on the immediate suburbs if it bothers you so much.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:33 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,318,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Re read the actual post again. I didn't compare the Rochester metro to the city of Buffalo. I said that Rochester is more white collar(which it is) and as a metro, it hasn't lost population in an official census(which it hasn't). So, what is the issue again? It was to note differences between the 2 cities/areas. Monroe County info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_County,_New_York

Municipalities in the county: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe...rk#Communities

Also, ask the many cities in the South and other regions why they have annexed quite a bit in recent decades/years.
Just look at Richmond. In 1970 it annexed 27 sq miles which is more than half the 35 sq miles of Rochester. And even after annexing 47,000 citizens, its population is still down from its peak.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:47 PM

19,059 posts, read 16,872,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Just look at Richmond. In 1970 it annexed 27 sq miles which is more than half the 35 sq miles of Rochester. And even after annexing 47,000 citizens, its population is still down from its peak.
You are quite right, that ploy was done to recapture predominantly "white" suburbs with a strong tax base but in doing that trick they were prohibited from any further annexations. Ultimately those who were caught in this ploy moved out eliminating the advantage they though they would have.

Since that time the surrounding counties have incorporated themselves as county governments and for the most part have a more robust economy and growth then the city itself. Richmond in many ways is like Albany, if it wasn't the state capital it would have faded away. Many of her problems are similar to what you see in Rochester with the lack of a sizable middle class attending the schools which leaves most residents as very poor/very rich or just empty nesters who don't need to worry about the schools.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Reread my post and all I was commenting on was "and as a metro, it has never lost population in an official census.
Really? It is clear as to what I was referring to and one of the differences is that unlike the Buffalo metro, the Rochester metro hasn't had population loss in an official(like every 10 years) census. It was just a difference between the areas, just like saying one(Rochester) is more white collar. No biggie though.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-10-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Rochester could annex Irondequoit(15.2 sq mi) and Brighton(15.5 sq mi) and would still be about 2-3 square miles smaller than Richmond city limits, with both currently having roughly the same population. If both of those towns were added, Rochester would have close to 300,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area