Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 17,548 times

Advertisements

Hello guys! I'm back with another question. I'm currently living in Rochester, NY with my husband and son, plus another baby on the way. My husband doesn't exactly make a ton of money, and I'm in school (college) right now, looking to transfer so I can get into nursing. Our lease is up in August and I'm considering moving out of the Rochester area, in hopes of a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe enough neighborhood to raise our kids for a couple years (nothing permanent). Everyone here hates on Buffalo so I really need an honest opinion. We live in the monroe ave/south goodman area at the moment and its okay, but I really hate the city school district and prices here are too much. Heard good things about outer Buffalo areas like Tonawanda, Amherst, Cheektowaga, Grand Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 03:54 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,790,155 times
Have you considered just staying in Rochester and moving out of the city? Rochester has some of the best suburbs and school districts in the state. Cost of living between Buffalo and Rochester really isn't much of a difference. There are also multiple colleges in the Rochester area you can get a nursing degree in.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:24 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,317,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Have you considered just staying in Rochester and moving out of the city? Rochester has some of the best suburbs and school districts in the state. Cost of living between Buffalo and Rochester really isn't much of a difference. There are also multiple colleges in the Rochester area you can get a nursing degree in.
That's what I was thinking too.
OP you can pretty much pick any suburban school in the Rochester area and it will be a very good school. Also as GT87 states, there are lots of nursing school options too. St. John Fisher is nationally ranked too (#142 out of 2700 nursing programs nationwide). My Brother In Law and his fiance both just graduated there last year had jobs lined up at local hospitals before they even graduated. So it's also a great pipeline into local hospitals, etc.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:46 PM

821 posts, read 751,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_desiree View Post
Hello guys! I'm back with another question. I'm currently living in Rochester, NY with my husband and son, plus another baby on the way. My husband doesn't exactly make a ton of money, and I'm in school (college) right now, looking to transfer so I can get into nursing. Our lease is up in August and I'm considering moving out of the Rochester area, in hopes of a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe enough neighborhood to raise our kids for a couple years (nothing permanent). Everyone here hates on Buffalo so I really need an honest opinion. We live in the monroe ave/south goodman area at the moment and its okay, but I really hate the city school district and prices here are too much. Heard good things about outer Buffalo areas like Tonawanda, Amherst, Cheektowaga, Grand Island.
Go where your husband can get a better job. Both cities have colleges with good nursing programs, and both have phenomenal suburbs with great school districts. Both have the same cost of living, give or take. If he can find a better job in Buffalo, then i would move here. Try and see if he can find anything better than what he has.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:05 AM

84 posts, read 76,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Go where your husband can get a better job. Both cities have colleges with good nursing programs, and both have phenomenal suburbs with great school districts. Both have the same cost of living, give or take. If he can find a better job in Buffalo, then i would move here. Try and see if he can find anything better than what he has.
I love both places!

Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me! I agree that Rochester does have great schools but they are SO expensive. I had to drop out of Nazareth because I couldn't afford to go there, unless I wanted to take out 3 loans this year . RIT is worse, and so forth. Partly why I started looking west! Also I'm not sure if I agree with others saying the cost of living is the same, as I've lived in various areas of the city for 6 or more years, and Rochester suburbs are crazy expensive. A 2 bedroom townhouse my mom rented when I lived with her was around $1,200 and she had to pay electric/heat and cable/internet still. However, let me know if I'm wrong! I just know we can't afford rent that high. We pay $650 right now for a really old one bedroom in the city, not including electric. Since we need a two bedroom, it would be great if he could get a better job that pays more than $12/Hour!

Old 12-18-2016, 01:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,317,421 times
$1200 a month is more upscale. You can easily find 2 bedroom apartments in Rochester suburbs in the $700 dollar range.

Here's an example in Penfield in the 700's that will also get you into a top tier school district:
https://www.apartments.com/penfield-...ld-ny/16p92p4/

I could find you many examples if you want. If you're looking for more of a luxury townhome, then yes, you're going to be paying above $1200. The Rochester suburbs have a fairly high stock of recently built luxury townhomes and apartments, so you probably see those often and think that is the common rate. But there are many 2 bedroom apartments in all the suburbs that run in the $700's range. And you can get relatively nice townhome's in the $900 dollar range as well.

You could also go income based. There are many income based apartments in the suburbs that you could probably get into for the high 500's to low 600's. You'd obviously have to deal with some of the other issues that go along with those apartments, but they do exist.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:23 PM

92,036 posts, read 122,173,887 times
What about something like this, OP?: For Rent: Henrietta Highlands Apartments - Rent Rochester - Apartment Listings in Rochester NY

Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
$1200 a month is more upscale. You can easily find 2 bedroom apartments in Rochester suburbs in the $700 dollar range.

Here's an example in Penfield in the 700's that will also get you into a top tier school district:
https://www.apartments.com/penfield-...ld-ny/16p92p4/

I could find you many examples if you want. If you're looking for more of a luxury townhome, then yes, you're going to be paying above $1200. The Rochester suburbs have a fairly high stock of recently built luxury townhomes and apartments, so you probably see those often and think that is the common rate. But there are many 2 bedroom apartments in all the suburbs that run in the $700's range. And you can get relatively nice townhome's in the $900 dollar range as well.

You could also go income based. There are many income based apartments in the suburbs that you could probably get into for the high 500's to low 600's. You'd obviously have to deal with some of the other issues that go along with those apartments, but they do exist.
If you could find many examples that aren't city school district that would be great. I had absolutely zero luck when I moved. If it was a good price its because it didn't include any utilities. The previous place I was mentioning wasn't what I would call upscale though. It was 1,000 square feet total and located in Brighton. Yes it was a townhouse but nothing like the luxury ones I see being built in webster or henrietta. These were rather basic honestly. But their regular 2 bedroom apartments were $945-$970 so almost just as much. I just can't really find anything in the range that I desire. $900 is a firm no for me.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Those are really nice but unless my husband can find a better job here, I don't really think those will be an option. I checked their site and $960 a month for 2 bedroom is... oh boy. If I could work right now it'd be a definite yes! Thank you so much though for taking the time to find that! (: I'm starting to think that maybe I already know what I need to do. Of course if we could get affordable housing here that wouldn't be bad either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area