Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:37 AM

574 posts, read 378,639 times

Advertisements

Well, if they wanna pay more for living costs thats fine by me........ I'm only 20, and Im hoping to leave very soon. Too expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 06:20 AM

5,500 posts, read 3,978,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Study states that Buffalo is 3rd nationally(out of the top 100 metros) in millennial homebuyers: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...illennial.html

Source: https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mos...al-homebuyers/
I don't think that Lending Tree would be a good source for data. They are just a middle man for other mortgage companies, all of which are at least 1/2% higher than local banks. Additionally, the average credit rating was in the middle 600's. Not really that good.

Maybe a survey based on local county clerk data would give better results

Old 04-05-2018, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 7,128 times
I would argue it's a hot destination for a certain type of millennial. If you are creative, career oriented, and do not want a family Buffalo NY is definitely not the place to be...

Old 04-05-2018, 12:14 PM

92,185 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
Well, if they wanna pay more for living costs thats fine by me........ I'm only 20, and Im hoping to leave very soon. Too expensive
Are you saying that the area is expensive in relation to pay or just in general? I can see the first for some, but wouldn’t say that the latter is true relative to the national average.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:51 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,203,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you saying that the area is expensive in relation to pay or just in general? I can see the first for some, but wouldn’t say that the latter is true relative to the national average.
I agree, Buffalo is still dirt cheap to live in.

Even if you consider taxes, its not a bad deal.

My problem was that my professional training was not being rewarded with a proper salary, so we moved to Texas.

However, an entry level house is $200k in Texas. I lived in a house that was $44,000 about 10 years ago in Buffalo, a duplex in south buffalo.

My salary has tripled since moving to Texas, and we pay no state income tax.

Property tax, and sales tax are the same as WNY. We have lots of toll roads. My water bill is 4x what it cost in Buffalo and we live in a 2BR house with 2 people.

However natural gas is cheaper, electric is way cheaper, and gasoline is way cheaper.

There are some gotchas about moving to the south, but I wouldn't say by any means that Buffalo is not a cheap place to live, because it is.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:30 AM

6,280 posts, read 4,789,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I agree, Buffalo is still dirt cheap to live in.

Even if you consider taxes, its not a bad deal.

My problem was that my professional training was not being rewarded with a proper salary, so we moved to Texas.

However, an entry level house is $200k in Texas. I lived in a house that was $44,000 about 10 years ago in Buffalo, a duplex in south buffalo.

My salary has tripled since moving to Texas, and we pay no state income tax.

Property tax, and sales tax are the same as WNY. We have lots of toll roads. My water bill is 4x what it cost in Buffalo and we live in a 2BR house with 2 people.

However natural gas is cheaper, electric is way cheaper, and gasoline is way cheaper.

There are some gotchas about moving to the south, but I wouldn't say by any means that Buffalo is not a cheap place to live, because it is.
Keep in mind that housing appreciation in Buffalo is dismal, so that $200k house in Texas may be worth $300k in 10 years. The same $200k equivalent house in Buffalo will still be $200k if you are lucky. For example my house I sold for $240k has taxes of $8,000, the same house in Florida will have taxes of less than $2,000.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Keep in mind that housing appreciation in Buffalo is dismal, so that $200k house in Texas may be worth $300k in 10 years. The same $200k equivalent house in Buffalo will still be $200k if you are lucky. For example my house I sold for $240k has taxes of $8,000, the same house in Florida will have taxes of less than $2,000.
I don't know, as there have been reports of housing appreciation increasing in the Buffalo area: https://www.wkbw.com/news/as-housing...about-a-bubble

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/0...et-performing/

Buffalo home prices much higher than last year | New York | WIVB

https://www.fortunebuilders.com/buff...market-trends/

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...g-markets.html

https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...-affordability

Just curious, would the house you had in Buffalo have the same, lower or higher home price if it was in your current location? I ask, because that could be the difference, given current metro area median home prices.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 PM

I Zillowed a similar square footage and it would be about 10% less here in an equivalent neighborhood..

Old 04-07-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I Zillowed a similar square footage and it would be about 10% less here in an equivalent neighborhood..
Interesting...I say that only because the difference between the 2 metro area median home prices and this: https://www.nahb.org/-/media/Sites/N...l-by-rank-q417

Old 04-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Jacksonville is the largest city in the USA by area so trying to paint it with a single brush is deceptive. Overall I would say it has many nicer areas than any in Buffalo but also some equivalent to the East Side. I went to look at houses in Charlotte with my nephew and you get a lot of house for your money. Its #141 on your list. To try and draw any conclusions from the list is misleading. If there is an enclave of multi million dollar McMansions it will skew the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area