Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM

19,060 posts, read 16,872,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaleft View Post
Man I love how whenever a discussion of Buffalo being a decent place to live develops on this forum it dissolves into nonsensical arguments about property values and taxes really quickly. There is more value to an area than how much you pay in taxes or what the square footage of a house is. I left because the cultural institutions are weak the city is not that vibrant and I was reaching the limit of what I could do with my degree in the area. If the albright knox is the only prestigious gallery around and there is absolutely no diversity in the arts scene I'm not interested in staying. Oh and it's filled with terrible music and drunks. That's why I left. I live in a much more expensive city now. If I seriously cared about taxes and property values I would have stayed and lived a much more boring life.
For most the dollars and cents value of a community is how they determine the value not the cultural vibe or diverse art scene. Even you said it when you stated " I was reaching the limit of what I could do with my degree in the area" Dollars & Cents .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 7,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
For most the dollars and cents value of a community is how they determine the value not the cultural vibe or diverse art scene. Even you said it when you stated " I was reaching the limit of what I could do with my degree in the area" Dollars & Cents .....
Maybe it's about having a fulfilling career and not counting dollars and cents. Reaching the limit of what I could do with my degree doesn't always amount to pay. It can also include fulfilling job assignments and intellectual stimulation.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 PM

6,280 posts, read 4,789,775 times
All my friends and family left the area in search of better jobs. It was depressing making a new friend only to have them leave when they can't find or keep a decent job.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:36 PM

92,186 posts, read 122,439,279 times
A related article...

At K-Technologies, millennials make their presence felt

Paul Dreyer knows that he can sound like a millennial stereotype.

That doesn’t mean he’s going to back away from the characteristics of his generation.

Dreyer has held five positions at three companies since he graduated from the University at Buffalo in 2014 with a degree in industrial and systems engineering.

Now an associate quality manager at K-Technologies, the 26-year-old said he is driven toward responsibility, actively avoids any sense of complacency and values the “flatter hierarchy” at K-Tech that gives him an open line of communication to company leaders.

“If I need executive support, I can just go right to (General Manager Edward Tierney) and have a straight conversation. There’s no beating around the bush or having to schedule a meeting,” he said.

Dreyer was one of four employees of the high-tech manufacturer in Hamburg who participated in a recent panel discussion on the effect of millennials in the workplace.

The discussion was part of a broader event at K-Tech, The UnKonvention, to discuss new paradigms in advanced manufacturing. The panel was moderated by Tierney and featured Dreyer, former production manager Molly Hartwig, strategic project manager Kelsey Kryszak and manufacturing engineer Casey Lafleur.

The conversation is important. Erie County has about 182,927 residents between the ages of 23 and 38, according to the Cornell Program on Applied Demographics, and they represent a whole new way of doing business. Across all industries and job descriptions, millennials are changing everything from hiring processes to the way employees communicate to the way companies are run.

Tierney, vice president and general manager of K-Tech, said during the panel that managing a workforce of millennials is about embracing their vision of employment.

“It’s been said that millennials are impatient, that they are demanding, that they want more than maybe they should get,” Tierney said. “I actually don’t believe that. I believe it’s a tool that you can use to get things done.”

K-Tech has about 75 employees.

Tierney said Hartwig, 25, was personally responsible for overseeing a crucial certification, AS9100, which is important to the firm’s aerospace clients.

Hartwig’s mother worked at Moog Inc. as a technician for more than 40 years and her father was a diesel mechanic for the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority. They had two daughters who grew up with toys such as go-carts and golf carts. They could play with them as long as they could fix them.

In 2015, Hartwig earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with a concentration in aerospace from Rochester Institute of Technology, with a roster of internships that included a summer at SpaceX in Texas.

Upon graduation, she worked at Avox Systems in Lancaster, from which she was recruited by Tierney. Hartwig started working at K-Tech in March 2016, moving from quality to production manager.

Hartwig said she’s motivated by complex managerial tasks and approaches ambiguous projects as if they’re a puzzle.

“There’s something intriguing to me about taking something that’s uncertain and growing and making it certain,” she said. “I like to see every aspect of an operation and learn how it all works together.”

Regardless of age, talented engineers in Buffalo with management experience are highly sought-after employees. In this way, Dreyer and Hartwig have built resumes that allow them to cultivate favorable professional experiences.

Just don’t expect them to stay in one place for long. On June 4, Hartwig started her new job as senior technical project manager at the Tesla Inc. factory in Buffalo.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...-presence.html

Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Another related TV news segment: https://www.wkbw.com/news/hiring-716...-college-grads

Old 12-21-2018, 12:50 PM

A related article...

Report: Buffalo among top cities for millennial homebuyers

If mortgage requests are any indication, the Buffalo metropolitan area is among the most popular regions in the United States for millennial homebuyers.

According to a LendingTree report, between Jan. 1 and Nov. 25 nearly half of all new purchase mortgage requests from the Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls area made on LendingTree’s website came from those under the age of 35.

How much exactly? Forty-six percent. That places Buffalo at No. 4 behind Salt Lake City, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh.

Here are other statistics on Buffalo:

• The average age of buyers under 35: 28.4 years

• The average credit score value of buyers under 35: 654

• The average requested loan amount for buyers under 35: $126,907

The data does not include mortgage refinancing requests. LendingTree identified millennials as those born in 1983 or later.

So in which cities are millennials least likely to make new purchase requests? That would be Tampa, Las Vegas and Miami where the percentages of those under 35 seeking mortgages were 30 percent, 31 percent and 32 percent, respectively.

The full report is available here.

LendingTree is an online loan marketplace that links borrowers to lenders. It regularly analyzes data from mortgage applications to determine industry and demographics trends.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...illennial.html

Old 02-21-2019, 02:35 PM

A related article...

Guess which market is tops for millennial home buyers? Buffalo

John Manns doesn’t need a national survey to tell which demographic is emerging as one of the real estate sectors leading home buyers.

Neither does Greg Straus.

The answer, according to a survey from Realtor.com, is that millennials (anyone between the ages 23 and 38) represent the fastest-growing segment of the home buying public.

And, the Buffalo Niagara market place represents the top U.S. market for millennials who are purchasing homes.

The results don’t surprise local residential real estate insiders like Manns, Marrano Homes executive vice president of sales and marketing, or Straus, co-founder of 716 Realty Group.

“I see them coming through our door every day,” Manns said.

Manns said more than half of the home buyers in Marrano’s Colvin Estates subdivision in North Buffalo are millennials. And, the same is true for many of Marrano’s suburban subdivisions as well.

Straus said of the 252 deals his agency was involved with last year, between 65 percent and 70 percent were in that demographic.

“They are the lion’s share of our business and that’s what we are building our business on,” Straus said.

Research showed that in 2018 millennials in the Buffalo market accounted for 56 percent of mortgages, up 8.8 percent from 48 percent the prior year.

“Millennials are getting older, with better jobs and deeper pockets, allowing them to expand their collective purchase power, and hence, their footprint in the market,” said Javier Vivas, Realtor.com director of economic research. “The stereotype that millennials primarily choose to buy homes and live in large metro areas isn’t the reality. Results show millennials’ expansion is more heavily conditioned by affordability than in prior years, so their eyes are set on less traditional secondary markets where homes and jobs are now available and plentiful.”

That’s why older, more Midwestern and blue-collar communities appeal to millennials. Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Columbus all rank behind Buffalo in the top five cities according to the Realtor.com study.

“Millennials are clearly playing a major role in the market,” Manns said.

Howard Hanna IV, Howard Hanna Real Estate Services president, said 53 percent of the first-time buyers mortgages his company approved last year were from millennials.

“Millennials are on the perfect trajectory when it comes to home ownership,” Hanna said.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/..._news_headline

From realtor.com: https://www.realtor.com/research/tag/millennials/

A similar segment from a month ago...

Buffalo's millennials are buying homes at one of the highest rates in the country: https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...in-the-country

Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A related article...

At K-Technologies, millennials make their presence felt

Paul Dreyer knows that he can sound like a millennial stereotype.

That doesn’t mean he’s going to back away from the characteristics of his generation.

Dreyer has held five positions at three companies since he graduated from the University at Buffalo in 2014 with a degree in industrial and systems engineering.

Now an associate quality manager at K-Technologies, the 26-year-old said he is driven toward responsibility, actively avoids any sense of complacency and values the “flatter hierarchy” at K-Tech that gives him an open line of communication to company leaders.

“If I need executive support, I can just go right to (General Manager Edward Tierney) and have a straight conversation. There’s no beating around the bush or having to schedule a meeting,” he said.

Dreyer was one of four employees of the high-tech manufacturer in Hamburg who participated in a recent panel discussion on the effect of millennials in the workplace.

The discussion was part of a broader event at K-Tech, The UnKonvention, to discuss new paradigms in advanced manufacturing. The panel was moderated by Tierney and featured Dreyer, former production manager Molly Hartwig, strategic project manager Kelsey Kryszak and manufacturing engineer Casey Lafleur.

The conversation is important. Erie County has about 182,927 residents between the ages of 23 and 38, according to the Cornell Program on Applied Demographics, and they represent a whole new way of doing business. Across all industries and job descriptions, millennials are changing everything from hiring processes to the way employees communicate to the way companies are run.

Tierney, vice president and general manager of K-Tech, said during the panel that managing a workforce of millennials is about embracing their vision of employment.

“It’s been said that millennials are impatient, that they are demanding, that they want more than maybe they should get,” Tierney said. “I actually don’t believe that. I believe it’s a tool that you can use to get things done.”

K-Tech has about 75 employees.

Tierney said Hartwig, 25, was personally responsible for overseeing a crucial certification, AS9100, which is important to the firm’s aerospace clients.

Hartwig’s mother worked at Moog Inc. as a technician for more than 40 years and her father was a diesel mechanic for the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority. They had two daughters who grew up with toys such as go-carts and golf carts. They could play with them as long as they could fix them.

In 2015, Hartwig earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with a concentration in aerospace from Rochester Institute of Technology, with a roster of internships that included a summer at SpaceX in Texas.

Upon graduation, she worked at Avox Systems in Lancaster, from which she was recruited by Tierney. Hartwig started working at K-Tech in March 2016, moving from quality to production manager.

Hartwig said she’s motivated by complex managerial tasks and approaches ambiguous projects as if they’re a puzzle.

“There’s something intriguing to me about taking something that’s uncertain and growing and making it certain,” she said. “I like to see every aspect of an operation and learn how it all works together.”

Regardless of age, talented engineers in Buffalo with management experience are highly sought-after employees. In this way, Dreyer and Hartwig have built resumes that allow them to cultivate favorable professional experiences.

Just don’t expect them to stay in one place for long. On June 4, Hartwig started her new job as senior technical project manager at the Tesla Inc. factory in Buffalo.

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...-presence.html
More information about this company: https://k-technologies.com
https://k-technologies.com/careers/

Old 02-24-2019, 03:43 AM

11,568 posts, read 5,622,354 times
https://www.wgrz.com/article/money/m...s/95-535268374

Maybe read the article - this is based only on the % of mortgage applications according to Lending Tree. We all agree that housing prices in Buffalo are pretty good - that does not equate to millennials flocking here for jobs - only that the salaries some make here make housing available to them.

I realize you love this state and will defend it to the day you die. As much as I love this state - I'm more realistic - it's far from perfect when it comes to taxes, gov't involvement and regulations. People weigh the pros and cons - my parents won't leave because they are in their 80's, my son because his friends are here, some of my friends - because of family or they are just too poor or sick to move - but then I know many waiting for the day they can get away. You are not going to change people's perspective on this area or state as they have different experiences than you and are more realistic - this is not Neverland.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 AM

6,280 posts, read 4,789,775 times
I also think Buffalo's depressed housing market has something to do with it. My millenial niece and her husband bought a duplex on the West Side for 80k. Once these bargains are gone and the area is gentrified you will see less millenials coming here. Did the article differentiate from US and refugee millenials who tend to be younger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area