Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 04:11 PM

177 posts, read 160,614 times

Advertisements

Depew NY Voting on dissolving the Village Today because Depew is millions in Debt and can not afford
to pay for the basic service's anymore and that's after over 20 years in row off raising property taxes
every straight year, If they don't dissolve Depew, the taxpayer will see property taxes raised another 45% over the next 2 years just to make it to 2019 and the 45% increase in property taxes doesn't even take care of the million's of debt

Live coverage: Long lines in Depew dissolution vote - The Buffalo News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 04:16 PM

18,991 posts, read 16,817,402 times
If dissolved what governing body will be responsible for these residents?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:49 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,220,094 times
Cheektowaga and Lancaster?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:06 PM

Depew voted No, I guess they don't mind paying a couple more of thousand a year for property taxes
I like paying $7,000 to $8,000 a year property taxes to live in a 800sqft 3 bedroom 1 bath capecode built in 1950's

Old 01-18-2017, 06:43 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,220,094 times
You shouldn't care then

Old 01-18-2017, 07:01 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,200,616 times
Wow, so people will just not vote for less government in WNY?

I find that vote pretty amazing. I read that several people commented that the services were so good in Depew so they are worth paying for.

What are these services that are much better than say Cheektowaga, or other neighbor suburbs?

So basically the people are paying double property taxes and they are OK with that? What does that do to the real estate market in Depew?

Does Depew Have the Highest Property Taxes in Western New York? SpeakupWNY | Buffalo NY and Buffalo News | Hosted by OnlineMedia.net

"The average tax rates for village homes price at $129,900 were: Depew - $5,559"

$129,900 would buy a pretty nice house in Depew, but not a mansion. I'd bet the citizens are not getting $463.25 per month worth of services from the village of Depew.

So what is the next step? The village increases taxes sharply to cover its losses on the backs of the citizens?

For the life of me I can not wrap my head around the benefits of a NO vote.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 AM

729 posts, read 522,565 times
Default Mindset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post

I find that vote pretty amazing. I read that several people commented that the services were so good in Depew so they are worth paying for.

What are these services that are much better than say Cheektowaga, or other neighbor suburbs?

So basically the people are paying double property taxes and they are OK with that? What does that do to the real estate market in Depew?

Does Depew Have the Highest Property Taxes in Western New York? SpeakupWNY | Buffalo NY and Buffalo News | Hosted by OnlineMedia.net

"The average tax rates for village homes price at $129,900 were: Depew - $5,559"

$129,900 would buy a pretty nice house in Depew, but not a mansion. I'd bet the citizens are not getting $463.25 per month worth of services from the village of Depew.

So what is the next step? The village increases taxes sharply to cover its losses on the backs of the citizens?

When I grew up in western NY, the general mindset was "Taxes are the price of government services. So accept your whatever amount your tax bills charge you, and get on with your life." It looks attitudes have not changed in that part of the country. I'm glad I left NY state over 25 years ago.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:

The thing I've heard is that people in the village know or get to know the people that provide the services or that those that provide services know what people in that community need. I think the problem is that it isn't like they can't get similar services and when they see that the tax burden would be lower, you then see people coming around. That is what happened in the South once they realized that school consolidation would mean a lower tax burden. So, it may be a matter of some of these places just stepping out and realizing that there is a benefit to dissolving in regards to the homeowner tax burden.

With this said, there are other villages in the state that have made the move. So, it depends on what community you look at in terms of dissolving its village.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-18-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 AM

879 posts, read 1,619,974 times
FWIW higher taxes controls home prices. Controlling home prices means less mortgage interest. So instead of the money going to a bank somewhere, that money stays in your community. You could argue that the homeowner loses because they get less return on their investment but they probably invested less to begin with.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Most people in Buffalo & WNY have never been anywhere else, The local media's non stop proganda & brainwashing about how things were so bad before but now things are getting better in Buffalo & Erie County, But anyone not living in a delusional world know things are still deteriorating. On so many other forum boards, several threads say it's so bad in Buffalo NY that people have created a delusional world because they are in denial and affraid to accept reality

Last edited by Casey22; 01-20-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area