Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM

39 posts, read 204,225 times

Advertisements

My husband will be attending UB for graduate work this fall and we would like to buy a house in the region. We don't have kids, but plan to start a family soon, so school districts are important. We want to spend very little on a home in case we have to carry two houses after he completes his degrees. We would like to spend no more than 80,000. We don;t mind driving and would be willing to drive up to 30 minutes, each way, if that will allow us to live in an area we love with a few acres.

At this point, I am focusing on non-sinking houses in Amherst or Snyder. My siblings both lived in Buffalo for several years, but only purchased on Grand Island and were not concerned with school districts. I know little of the city.

So where would you buy a house? I will be happy with the very small home, but must have at least a bit of a backyard for dogs and kids. Safety and schools are the top priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM

39 posts, read 204,225 times
Any thoughts on Lamont street (less 2.0 miles from UB south campus) in Amherst, but in the Snyder/Eggertsville area?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,718 times
Smile 30 minute drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
My husband will be attending UB for graduate work this fall and we would like to buy a house in the region. We don't have kids, but plan to start a family soon, so school districts are important. We want to spend very little on a home in case we have to carry two houses after he completes his degrees. We would like to spend no more than 80,000. We don;t mind driving and would be willing to drive up to 30 minutes, each way, if that will allow us to live in an area we love with a few acres.

At this point, I am focusing on non-sinking houses in Amherst or Snyder. My siblings both lived in Buffalo for several years, but only purchased on Grand Island and were not concerned with school districts. I know little of the city.

So where would you buy a house? I will be happy with the very small home, but must have at least a bit of a backyard for dogs and kids. Safety and schools are the top priority.

A 30 minute drive from Buffalo would put you in the Niagara Falls area which I would strongly advise against. I lived there for nine years and the people there are the most hateful back stabbing group I have ever seen in this country!

They seem to hate people from out of the area for some reason.

The police and the firemen are always at odds with one another and the town council is like its run by the mob!(Sorry T!) and the schools!, I'd better not get going on the schools!:-)

Amherst would be your best bet but I'm not sure you'd be able to buy into their society for $80,000.

Another semi rural area about 30-40 minutes out of Buffalo would be Lockport, it has a small town feel and is relatively safe as far as towns in New York state goes.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
If you are concerned with the school districts, Snyder and Williamsville are good choices, but the amount you are spending wouldl limit you to whats available. Lancaster or Clarence would also be a good choice. Williamsville and Clarence are the best school districts in this area and have been ranked 1 and 2 every single year!!

Welcome!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,769 times
If you go a little futhur north, Lockport has some really nice houses, where you can get a little more for your money than you would in Amherst.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz2240 View Post
If you go a little futhur north, Lockport has some really nice houses, where you can get a little more for your money than you would in Amherst.
Yes, but the schools are not as good, rating wise anyway, and resell is another consideration when someone is here temporarily.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
Any thoughts on Lamont street (less 2.0 miles from UB south campus) in Amherst, but in the Snyder/Eggertsville area?
How about Cheektowaga? I'd recommend the Maryvale School District. Safe, affordable and still relatively easy to sell when you need to.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,003 times
before you buy a house in the suburbs check for flood zones also

Old 03-06-2008, 04:25 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times
Default flood zones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
before you buy a house in the suburbs check for flood zones also
I think I remember a realtor telling me about flood zones. Aren't they situated in certain areas though? Like, near one of the creeks or along the river? It would be really good to know the areas becuase that is very useful knowledge. Wish I were house shopping in Buffalo....

Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I think I remember a realtor telling me about flood zones. Aren't they situated in certain areas though? Like, near one of the creeks or along the river? It would be really good to know the areas becuase that is very useful knowledge. Wish I were house shopping in Buffalo....
The flood zone maps were just redrawn last year. Make sure you have a realtor look at a current one. An alternative is to call the US Army Corps of Engineers. They will tell you if the loty is A/B/ or / C. C will flood; B probably will flood in the next hundred years and A may possibly flood. If they changed the rules, I haven't heard about it -- we have lived in the same place for years. In any case, they still know the flood plain maps. The third option is to call the town, tell them the location of the property and ask if it is in a flood zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area