Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,759 times

Advertisements

Hello Buffalo area,
I am a US citizen and I'm considering a great job in Toronto, but my husband is a lawyer barred in the US, so he would ideally want to work States-side, likely in Buffalo. Is it conceivable for us to live somewhere in the middle, perhaps Hamilton, and each make the commute in different directions? It looks like lots of people do the Hamilton to Toronto commute- I imagine I could take the train and it would be bearable. Can anyone speak to the commute from the Hamilton area to Buffalo?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 AM

2,893 posts, read 1,828,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinedm View Post
Hello Buffalo area,
I am a US citizen and I'm considering a great job in Toronto, but my husband is a lawyer barred in the US, so he would ideally want to work States-side, likely in Buffalo. Is it conceivable for us to live somewhere in the middle, perhaps Hamilton, and each make the commute in different directions? It looks like lots of people do the Hamilton to Toronto commute- I imagine I could take the train and it would be bearable. Can anyone speak to the commute from the Hamilton area to Buffalo?
Thank you!
I'm sure it's do-able, it all depends on your level of patience and available time. I would say your commute could be anywhere from 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic, bridge delays, weather. So again, it's not quick but if you have time and flexibility It would be do-able.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM

821 posts, read 754,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinedm View Post
Hello Buffalo area,
Thank you!
It's definitely doable, but it depends whether or not someone wants to be in a car for 2-3 hours a day. If that is not an issue, then this is certainly possible. I wouldn't think traffic would be a huge issue, but i have never made that drive in the morning.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:54 PM

92,405 posts, read 122,695,779 times
Would he HAVE to work in Buffalo or could he look in Niagara County or even parts of Erie County north of Buffalo? If he could find something north of Buffalo within the area, that could/would shorten his commute.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,154,364 times
I'd imagine this would be very stressful for both of you, because it's not just that the drive is long, but that whole Golden Horseshoe commute is quite unpleasant at the best of times. Your husband might have the more difficult drive because if the QEW is backed up for any reason, accident/weather, the alternative routes are slow country roads.

As ckhthankgod suggested, north of Buffalo might be more viable... eg. Lewiston. That extra 40 mins to get to Buffalo can change on a dime, to way longer.

What area of Toronto is your new potential job?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:39 PM

821 posts, read 754,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I'd imagine this would be very stressful for both of you, because it's not just that the drive is long, but that whole Golden Horseshoe commute is quite unpleasant at the best of times. Your husband might have the more difficult drive because if the QEW is backed up for any reason, accident/weather, the alternative routes are slow country roads.

As ckhthankgod suggested, north of Buffalo might be more viable... eg. Lewiston. That extra 40 mins to get to Buffalo can change on a dime, to way longer.

Agreed. A 30 min commute anywhere can quickly become over an hour with weather.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 PM

36,975 posts, read 38,997,288 times
How good's that job? Is it a better prospect than whatever job your husband can get in Buffalo? I'd almost say just live and work in Toronto if the job is good enough, then maybe look into how your husband can practice in Canada.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:47 AM

92,405 posts, read 122,695,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post

The last question is important, as if the position is in the Eastern portion of the city/area, then that would be even further from Buffalo/WNY.

I'm thinking that this may be another "hit and run" post.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,154,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The last question is important, as if the position is in the Eastern portion of the city/area, then that would be even further from Buffalo/WNY.

I'm thinking that this may be another "hit and run" post.
I think so. What a shame, I was curious to see how it was resolved.. or if any of our comments were helpful in that decision!

Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,766,919 times
As someone from Toronto the whole notion of commuting not just in the city but in the Greater Toronto Area just makes me cringe! This is one of the most densely populated and congested parts of North America. If Hamilton is the choice and the OP takes the GO Train to/fro work in Toronto it may not be too bad but it depends where in Toronto she works. Toronto is a huge city so as others have said, it could be any number of places. Some commute times within the city of Toronto alone are an hour each way and that is being nice!! Now the 407 is an option if she works in North Toronto as it is an expensive toll highway. This just deals with the OP

As for her husband commuting back and forth between Hamilton and Buffalo this makes me cringe even more. That commute is still jam packed. You're dealing with Trucks and tourists and people from the GTA going back and forth to Niagara Falls and the U.S so his commute would be painful. The whole arrangement just means they would be spending more time at work and commuting than at home and this can never bode well for a family

On paper this may seem doable but in real life it would just translate to enormous frustration the likes may not be fully appreciated. Throw in weather during the period of Dec to Mar and well - yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area